5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent entry-level DSLR, February 26, 2014
This review is from: Nikon D3300 24.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR with AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II Zoom Lens (Black) (Electronics)
Having used a Canon Powershot SX100 IS for the last six years, I decided it was finally time to switch over to DSLR cameras. I considered sticking with Canon at first, but I did not want a camera with an articulating LCD screen. I just cannot justify paying the extra price for video features that I will probably never use. I also thought it was unwise to invest in Canon's advanced and professional level cameras considering I do not have much experience with DSLRs. That left me with the Canon T3 and the SL1, but in the end I decided to go with the D3300.

The first thing that caught my attention with the D3300 out of the box was how light and comfortable it feels in your hands. The camera grip is very smooth and big enough to allow enough friction for a secure grip. I also like how the lens retract, allowing the camera to be more compact and take up less space in your camera bag. The camera's menus and functions are very easy to use even when not using GUIDE Mode. I will admit that I studied the manual before using the camera, but even then I found the menus more accessible and less confusing than those of my old point-and-shoot camera.

So far I have only taken pictures indoors in low-light conditions but the results have been very impressive. I turned Auto ISO sensitivity control off and set the ISO to 800 to see how the camera would handle low light situations without relying on using high ISO settings. The images looked sharp and crisp even though the camera used very slow shutter speeds without a tripod (Note: I had VR and noise reduction enabled). Granted, if your subject will require fast shutter speeds you will have to raise the ISO anyway unless you use another lens with a wider aperture. According to Snapsort the D3300 has better image quality than the Canon 70D, T5i, and SL1. I cannot confirm this myself though since I do not have any of those DSLRs to make a side-to-side comparison.

I also tested the different release modes available but did not notice a significant difference between single frame and quiet shutter release mode. Maybe it is just me, but they sound the same to me. Continuous release mode has a maximum of 5 fps and up to 100 photographs can be taken in succession. The autofocus feature is fast and very easy to use. However, I should mention that thus far I have only taken pictures using Single-servo AF with Single-point AF.

Overall I am very satisfied with my decision to go with the D3300. It is very lightweight, user-friendly, and most importantly, takes pictures with excellent image quality.

[Add comment]