3.0 out of 5 stars WD 1TB 64MB Drive Great until it Failed 6 weeks later, August 11, 2010
This review is from: Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop 3.5" Hard Drive (Personal Computers)
I bought this drive to store pictures, music and files on as replacement for an older WD drive that failed. I went with the Black series for it's speed and reliability. Amazon's packaging was fine (see pics that I added to product above) and installation, initialization and formatting went without a hitch. The drive performed very well; was fast and pretty quiet (especialy compared to the OEM WD Blue drive in my PC). I did notice that the drive would get rather warm when I still had the computer case open but, I have three fans spinning in there so didn't think much of it. Six weeks later, I received a "drive not accessible" error and after running the WD Data LifeGuard diagnostics, determined that the drive had multiple bad sectors and failed the SMART test. I tried to recover the sectors but, it wouldn't work. A call to WD tech support confirmed that it was toast and they sent me out a replacement. The interesting part was that the replacement was shipped in nothing more than a small corrugate box with just the drive and the plastic end caps inside. The new drive has been in for two days now and so far it's OK. I gave this 3 stars for failing after 6 weeks but, still think it's a good drive for the money and believe that I had some bad luck. If I write back in 6 weeks with another failed drive, I wont be so charitable.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 28, 2010 3:48:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2010 3:58:18 AM PDT
BD says:
I have two Caviar Black 500 GB drives in my system - one for the OS, the other with several partitions for the page file, Adobe scratch disks and data storage.

I bought these for a home-brew quad core system I built 2 years ago. One of the initial drives I purchased died after a couple of months. Researching Western Digital support, I found out it was recommended to disable write caching for the Black Series drives. I did this with the remaining and replacement drive and have been problem-free ever since.

To disable write caching (Windows), right-click My Computer >> Properties >> Hardware Tab >> Device Manager button >> expand Disk Drives. Right-click the appropriate hard drive >> left-click Properties >> select Policies tab >> un-check Enable write caching on the disk >> OK.

When I upgrade to Windows 7, I'll be getting this 1 TB drive for data storage and a 300 GB VelociRaptor for the OS and backup partition.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2010 4:22:57 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 30, 2010 4:23:15 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 12:33:23 PM PDT
V. Lin says:
Well I see you haven't written back in the following six weeks from your review so I'm assuming its been working fine? :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011 6:07:39 PM PDT
Chris H. says:
Yes, it's been fine. Thanks for reminding me to follow up on my post. The drive had been powered nearly constantly since I installed it. I guess if it makes it past a few weeks it'll last.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2011 3:11:37 PM PDT
e40 says:
Disabling write caching is a drastic action. I would be shocked if this actually made the drive more reliable. In any case, if true, it would be horrible that an important feature had to be disabled to make the product work.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2011 6:05:11 PM PDT
JR says:
Totally agree with E40

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 7:19:41 AM PDT
Maybe you just got a bad drive, but what temperatures are you seeing on the replacement?

At home in Texas, I'm seeing 36-39 oC on a 'block' of 4 tightly spaced drives in a small cage with a 120mm fan right next to them. Without the fan, just a couple of drives where hitting 55 oC.

It's easy to find drive temperature monitoring software. I try to have at least basic monitoring on any machine I expect to store any pictures or music on.

According to some Google research, you really need to keep mechanical drives below about 45 oC to keep them healthy.

Posted on Sep 3, 2011 7:22:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2011 7:22:52 PM PDT
e40 says:
I have taken to thoroughly testing new drives before I put them into service. That means, for WD, doing a "long test" and "format". I got a batch of 640G drives and 1 of the 4 failed this test.

I have yet to have a drive fail that passed the long/format tests, and I've been doing this for a couple of years.

It is, however, a huge pain to have to do this before you use the drive. For large drives, like 2TB, it takes *forever*.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2011 5:38:17 PM PDT
This sounds intriguing. Could you detail what you mean by a "long test"? I assume you mean a full (rather than 'quick') format as well. TIA.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2011 5:55:27 PM PDT
Get a hold of smartmontools, then run:
smartctl -t long /dev/disk{whatever}
and it tells the drive to do the extended self-test. You can do a basic self-test by:
smartctl -t short /dev/disk{whatever}
which takes about 2 minutes. The long test may take up to several hours.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›