1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Idea, Unfortunate Engineering, December 9, 2010
This review is from: Keurig B60 Special Edition Brewing System (Kitchen)
I am on my 2nd Keurig. My first Keurig, the B60 "special" (featured here), died after a short time. Its replacement has now also died. Rather than ranting, I think most readers would benefit from a technical discussion of the problems of the system.

If you care about coffee's taste, this machine is not for you. The nature of the packaging and distribution of the K-Cups is such that they can never produce a decent cup of coffee. I have had better coffee at my local gas station than I will ever get from a Keurig.

If you are using the My K-Cup, you will find that a course grind (as they recommend) produces something akin to colored water. The only way to get a cup that has any taste at all is to use a fine espresso grind. Even then the taste is minimal, but it is at least borderline drinkable (compared to gas station coffee, which is almost always drinkable).

Mechanically, the Keurig does not provide enough water pressure to make a full cup of coffee with finely-ground flavored coffees. You will end up with a quarter to a half the amount you asked for. I am not a huge fan of flavored coffees, but I like a "Pumpkin Spice" or something similar around the holidays, and the Keurig always puts up a fight. The machine was not designed with fine grinds in mind, but the minuscule size of the My K-Cup filter makes using more coffee with a coarser grind impossible, so we are left without options. Interestingly, most of the problems with this machine could probably be solved by increasing the size of the My K-Cup filter.

Further, the machine stops working after a month or two of continuous use. I am on my second machine now (a B-70 Platinum model), and it has stopped working the same way the B60 did. You will try to brew your first cup of coffee in the morning and nothing will come out. It will suck water up from the reservoir, make sounds as if it is brewing and pumping water into your cup, but no water will come out. When it finally gives up (after a couple of minutes), you will go back and press the button again. More water sucked up, more sound, still no coffee.

After repeating this procedure a few times, coffee will finally start coming out...and give you nearly a full quart (liter) of coffee water. There was one time when I removed my full cup and let the coffee flow into the overflow reservoir and it filled the overflow reservoir to the top. There is no problem with scaling because the elapsed time is too short, especially when using filtered water. Scaling is also not likely because when the machine does finally decide to start putting water into your cup, the rate of flow is 100% of normal.

Noting the nature and consistency of the mechanical problems, it is clear to me that the designers need to go back to the drawing board. I can think of a dozen safety mechanisms (or "sanity checks" as we call them in computer programming) which could mitigate these problems. Instead, going to the gas station to pick up coffee has become a special treat rather than an emergency measure. I will not buy another Keurig product until the engineering problems are fixed.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 9, 2010 10:13:22 AM PST
K. Osborne says:
Maybe you were just unlucky? I've had 2 machines since 2006 and both still work perfectly 4 years later.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2011 6:43:28 PM PST
Stay safe says:
Yeah I'm not sure what the original poster is trying to say I have had my Keurig for 5 years now and it has never let me down. I have been drinking coffee for 35 years and my Keurig makes some of the best strong coffee you can buy. It takes a bit of trial and error but I have mine down perfect. Nice and strong.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 6:44:12 PM PST
Stay safe says:
THe original poster is full of crap, probably works for Bunn

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 2:45:06 AM PST
I tend to agree.I am having the same problem right now with my 3rd Keurig.They work for a short while and then the problems start. I use filtered water as well as the filter insert..High price for a disappointing product.. Looking now for a good replacement.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 1:37:07 PM PST
MsAmazon says:
The original poster is correct. I have had the same exact thing happen with two of my Keurigs. Luckily each time was within warranty period and I was able to exchange it at no cost. Keurig is very aware of the problem and if you call them they will work to get you a replacement.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (2,238 customer reviews)
 (1,242)