3.0 out of 5 stars Sorry . . . it's all too much, October 24, 2007
This review is from: The Rolling Stones: The Biggest Bang (DVD)
I'm usually not a music snob and will give 5 stars to anything that will "get me rockin'" in my BarkoLounger, but, regarding The Biggest Bang . . .

Venues too big (I'm here for the performance, not the audience. Big does not guarantee good). Performers too old, too jaded (Nothing wrong with age, I'm getting old. But they are tired of it, and acting . . . except maybe Kieth, who still digs it). Photography too selective (I can read the inscription on Keith's guitar pick, but the camera won't come within twenty feet of Mick's face). Stage too colossal (so that the audience a quarter mile back can see the big screen, but I don't need that. Way too much empty space on stage . . . and my TV screen). Selections too redundant (with all of the Stone's source material, no need for all the repeats). Sound too imbalanced (too much Mick singing/reciting into the mic, not enough Rolling Stones band). Too contrived. Too insensitive. (And too expensive).

There is so much to see that the camera won't hold on more than 4 seconds of anything (go ahead, time it yourself). This thing is to music what a schlocky 4-day commercial cruise is to "pleasure boating". This thing is to music what Las Vegas is to "architecture". This thing is to music what my Review is to a "yes or no" question.

Sorry, I'm not going to rubber stamp this just because it's the Rolling Stones. The 4 disc DVD is a huge quantity of high end live music on an epic scale . . . presented poorly.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 29, 2007 7:22:43 AM PST
Miros S. says:
Hi!
Thx for interesting writing. I enjoyed reading it.
Very informative review, humorous too. Man you have a style.
You helped me to make up my mind about buying this stuff -
I decided not to. Maybe in favour of "Four Licks". Is it better?
Cheerio
Miros / Poland

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2007 4:19:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2008 2:49:40 AM PST
T.M. Reader says:
Yes, "Four Flicks" would be a better choice. Right now this DVD is very expensive, and as my review indicated, hugely overproduced. I really felt manipulated by having purchased and sat through this. I really like intimate club style settings -- The Biggest Bang is the opposite. Thanks for the compliment and your comments. Wish you well . . .
C.J. in Illinois

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2008 11:44:10 AM PST
G. Hakala says:
I see the Rio concert is short about 5 songs + band intro is missing. It's NOT the complete concert! Darn. Oh, well got a really mint used 4 disk copy for $20.

Posted on Apr 8, 2008 12:51:34 PM PDT
I still think they should hang it up so as not to scare our kids and grand kids. Talk about the rolling "prunes".

Posted on May 10, 2008 7:01:07 AM PDT
whipitgood says:
The trend in marketing today is to increase the quality and/or volume of product rather than cut your price. The reason for this is that companies (and yes, the Stones are a corporate entity at this point) need to cover their fixed costs before they start making any profits. So what you end up with is more product than you can stand, and you pay a higher price than what you can afford. One common example of this is when I take my wife out to dinner and my entree turns out to be a heaping mound of food fit for an army. We've taken to splitting an entree at the finer restaurants so that there is room for dessert. Who needs a 32oz. steak? I'm not sure I could eat 32oz. of red meat in a week, let alone a day. This is a meal that would "choke a pig" as it were. Is it any wonder that Americans are fat? The business community's greed has something to do with this.

Another marketing trend is to revive old brands that people are familiar with rather than taking a chance on something new. This is particularly evident with the Rolling Stones, who were and are a great rock 'n roll band. However, they're doing essentially the same things they did in 1981, 1989, 1994, 1997 and 2002. Only a completist would obsess over the latest video release after seeing all of these other shows. The Stones are what they are...how many times do you need to see it?

I think this release is gratuitous. "Shine a Light" was good too, but equally gratuitous.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2008 8:04:46 PM PDT
T.M. Reader says:
Gary - Interesting analysis. Seems to be right on, and consistent with what I was trying to express in the review. I have some old videos of little club gigs from the early rock and roll years (various bands, Stones included)that are hugely more entertaining. Thanks.

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 3:51:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 20, 2014 3:52:16 AM PDT
All the flash cuts, whisking cameras and hocus pocus production make me sick--My brain likes to focus on something for at least 10 or 20 seconds! After hours of this type of presentation (McCartney does it also), my mind has comprehended precious little of it all and I end up remembering nothing and not enjoying it much either. MTV's influence?..still? A group with this age demographic should consider most of their viewers are not 10 to 14 years old!
And I smile at the comment regarding Richards' guitar pick close-up vs the non existent ones of their face. You never REALLY get to see the Stones much at all. And poor Charlie Watts...his shots are probably 6 or 8 FRAMES each. Would love to see a concert edited like they did them in the "old days".
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (57 customer reviews)

$13.49