957 of 1,041 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars And you thought the Capitol couldn't get any more twisted..., July 7, 2009
This review is from: Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, Book 2) (Hardcover)
If you thought the Capitol couldn't get any more twisted... you were wrong.

The highly-anticipated sequel to The Hunger Games is the kind of novel that has you pulling back to take a breath and go, "How did the author think of this?" (if you can stop turning the pages long enough to breathe)

Catching Fire picks up right where Hunger Games left off. Unrest in the Districts is growing at an alarming pace and Katniss unwittingly finds herself the figurehead for the movement against the Capitol. The characters you loved return for the sequel and the reader must endure each indignity the Capitol inflicts upon them. It is painful, tortuous, imaginative and motivating. It is everything The Hunger Games was and more. It both answers your lingering questions and creates so many new ones. It challenges you to think and creates such feelings of empathy for the characters that whenever I had to put the book down, I was genuinely worried for leaving the characters hanging and couldn't wait to pick it back up just so they could continue fighting for their lives and freedoms.

Everything I loved about The Hunger Games is present in Catching Fire: the unique and engrossing storyline; characters so thoroughly and beautifully described they start to feel like friends; a fantastical setting that is both real and sad; and language that is easy to read and yet conveys such a profound meaning. It has action, romance, horror, hope, despair and, most of all, humanity. It has sci-fi and politics yet, unlike a lot of books on the market, they are not "in your face" and are completely approachable.

Due to elements of violence and some light romantic scenes, I would recommend it for 13+. That being said, I would recommend it for ANYONE 13+ of any reading taste or background: as a bookseller and a recent library school graduate, these are the books I find easiest to recommend to anyone I meet.

I am on the edge of my seat waiting for the third and final book to come out. After reading Catching Fire, I know you will be too.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 7, 2009 1:33:20 PM PDT
how did you already get the second book?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2009 2:01:41 PM PDT
Season Balik says:
I receive Advance Reader Copies through my jobs at a bookstore and a library.

Posted on Jul 9, 2009 9:46:05 AM PDT
Thanks for the review. I loved the first book and can hardly wait to get my hands on this one!

Posted on Sep 7, 2009 9:18:31 AM PDT
Abbey says:
Perfect review. Just finished it and agree 100%.

Posted on Sep 18, 2009 4:19:46 AM PDT
Melina Todd says:
agreed! I cant believe I have to wait a whole year for the finale! Awesome book!

Posted on Aug 14, 2010 1:08:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2010 1:09:47 AM PDT
Bnice says:
Thank you for the review. I was not disappointed at all with The Hunger Games although the literal games did not sit well with me and the whole survival of the fittest theme. I have alot of questions between Gale, Katniss and Peeta but hopefully in Book 2 and Book 3 all those questions will have been answered. Thanks again enjoyed your review!
Oh and I just ordered all 3 books online. Can't wait to read book 2 and anxiously awaiting Book 3.

Posted on Sep 6, 2010 8:43:00 AM PDT
- Kasia S. says:
Beautiful and heart felt review! I'm just starting book two but I felt the same way about book 1, worrying about the characters when I had to put the book down, they felt so real.

Posted on Feb 19, 2011 5:26:21 PM PST
Katie says:
Does the audiobook from audible come in chapter format?

Posted on Mar 24, 2011 10:40:42 AM PDT
swobo20 says:
My husband is not much of a reader, but went through this series extrememly quickly. Is there anything out there to this taste you would recommend?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2011 1:57:46 PM PDT
I liked the Passage by Justin Cronin. post apocalyptic horror. Long but worth it. Check out the reviews.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (15,176 customer reviews)
 (11,417)