3.0 out of 5 stars Formatted ONLY for Widescreen TVs, November 23, 2010
This review is from: Michael Jackson's Vision (DVD)
I went to play the dvd on my standard tv (I do not have a widescreen TV) and noticed black bars on the the sides of the screen. I am used to black bars appearing on the top and bottom of my screen (widescreen format), but not on the sides. I attempted to adjust settings on my dvd player, but nothing worked. I looked on the packaging and it says "Formatted for Widescreen Televisions". Are you kidding me? I now have to watch all of the videos inside of a large black box or buy a brand new TV?

This makes absolutely no sense. Even largely released moves might be "Enhanced for Widescreen TVs", but not specifically formatted for them. This is dissapointing as I cannot enjoy these videos as intended, because they are not being presented as intended. I could understand if this was a Blu-Ray release, but it isn't, it is just dvd.

I gave 3 stars for it being the most comprehensive collection...to date and I'll eventually get a widescreen TV. I still think it is absurd that these dvds were released like this.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 24, 2010 8:37:49 AM PST
Matrix says:
I posted a review also and am experiencing the same issue that you're having with the black bars (I have a 1080p HDTV). I want to keep this collection but am also disappointed.

Posted on Nov 24, 2010 10:15:38 AM PST
Moonwalker says:
Fascinating. You know, I kind of thought they would have had separate transfers for the videos in 4:3 than 16:9. Kind of like on a major movie release where the movie is 16:9 anamorphic, but some of the special features are 4:3. I guess instead of doing separate files on the disc, they did one long program... in which case it would have had to have been done this way or the widescreen videos would be non-anamorphic and display the way you're seeing them for the larger majority of people with widescreen TVs.

Still, while I'm happy they did it this way (as opposed to the other way around), it's good to have your review out there so people have a better understanding of how the disc was done.

Posted on Nov 24, 2010 11:00:02 PM PST
eastvillage says:
Regarding apect ratio, it's the same thing on iTunes. People are going to complain that the majority of his videos are a 4:3 picture within a 16:9 output on their ipods (which looks like a postcard view and cannot be zoomed proportionately) so basically theyre forcing you to watch those videos in the original square ratio which is the way they were meant to be seen. (I find it annoying when people stretch 4:3 content or when distributors crop old TV movies to be "widescreen" which defeats the whole purpose which is to see the whole picture without anything stretched or squeezed.) Also, the few videos of his that are filmed in a wider ratio, for the first time, those who have widescreen TV can finally watch his wide frame videos in anamorphic. With most multi-decade artists' music video DVDs (who have videos filmed in various aspect ratios), they can't switch between 4:3 output and 16:9 output between videos because it's a single file running as a single program. The choice they made on this release, i.e. 4:3 picture within 16:9 output, is something I've been waiting to see done, but it does kinda suck for people with only a 4:3 tv.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (241 customer reviews)

$39.98 $34.99