2.0 out of 5 stars Who was the movie more focused on?, June 27, 2006
This review is from: Windtalkers (DVD)
As a nephew of a Navajo Code Talker, I would like to express my thoughts on WINDTALKERS.

First of all, if the focus of a Navajo Code Talker movie is supposed to focus on the Navajo Code Talkers and their involvement in WWII, why is the movie centered around Nicolas Cage's character while Adam Beach and Roger Willie play supporting roles?

Second, since a lot of folks are not informed about this part of WWII history, wouldn't it have been a much better movie if they showed the origin of the Code Talkers before they faced the horrors of war in the Pacific Theatre?

My uncle stood proud among the surviving Code Talkers as they were recently honored for their service in the Pacific. (note: at the beginning of the movie, he is the elder in the hat that talks to Yahzzie before he gets on the bus. He also served as technical consultant.) I'm sure after seeing the movie and having survived WWII, I doubt he enjoyed seeing the Code Talkers' back-burner depiction in the film.

Nice "action" movie, though.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 9, 2010 8:59:09 AM PST
Dutch says:
You make a great point. I still enjoyed the film.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2010 7:00:40 AM PDT
M. Steele says:
Yes, the movie was mostly about Nicholas Cage's character, which was kind of disappointing. My grandfather's brother was at Iwo Jima in 1945. He was an Apache US Marine and a drill instructor at Camp Pendleton after the war. The movie showed the Navajos as being too passive except towards the latter part of the movie. In real life, I know they weren't like that. The Navajo code talkers were tough and aggressive like the other marines. The US Navy has a website for Native Americans who served in WWII. I found it while searching for my grandfather's ship, a US Navy Veteran. He served on a destroyer in WWII. My grandfather said he could understand the Navajos. Apache and Navajo are very similar. He told me two code talkers died in a tunnel system in New Guinea. They had been using German shepherds to track the Japanese in the tunnels but were killed. My grandfather said the Navajos often could be heard all over the ship intercommunication system. But he understood Navajo. His brother was in the 5th Marine Division. I only met him once, but he gave the impression of a tough marine. He had that look in his eye of having seen extreme combat - that faraway gaze and demeanor of having been a DI - semper fidelis.

Posted on Dec 28, 2010 11:00:50 AM PST
I completely disagree with two of your points.
1 - I believe the movie was not focused around Nicholas Cage's character much at all, in fact, we don't know much about him and his past at all (other than he has an Italian last name), when in fact we DO know what the navajo characters did before the call of duty.
2 - I strongly disagree that the movie should've focused on the "origin" of the code talkers, as it would have made it a much slower, far more boring movie, for the vast majority of the public. I believe when you decide to make a movie about WW2, you have to show the grim true reality of combat, for future generations to learn from. This movie (great director) shows combat scenes VERY realistically, and in my experienced -but humble- opinion, the best WW2 movies ever are always the more realistic ones (Saving Private Ryan, Band Of Brothers, Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Schindler's List).
Bottom line: there is no way that whoever watches this movie and possesses an IQ higher than average would intepret it as "the code talkers were depicted as a back-burner". I am a huge WW2 fan, I study everything about it, I've had family members who were deported in concentration camps, I had family members who hid jewish people from the nazis. WW2 marked my whole life. I know a thing or two about the WW2 subject, and I must say one reason I enjoyed this particular movie is because of the code talkers, what they represented, how they integrated among white men, and the fact that they had a good, honorable company sergent they respected.
Great movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2011 4:55:58 PM PST
J. Ciccolo says:
Ditto

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 10:17:11 PM PST
The review is suppose to be on the movie not it's historical accuracy. You should know that. Hollywood is not accurate about anything. The film, all films, are for entertainment, with the exception of documentaries. Lighten up. Two stars, for a "Nice "action" movie, though." Again, lighten up.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2012 1:50:31 PM PST
Patrick, I totally disagree with blanket statement about Hollywood. I hope you'll watch movies like Saving Private Ryan, Band Of Brothers, Schindler's List, The Pianist, Anne Frank (the 2001 version), Captain Corelli's Mandolin, and you'll see some WW2 reality. I would however agree with you that all WW2 movies made in the 60s and 70s were not very accurate or realistic.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2014 2:30:34 PM PST
Patrick, if films were just for entertainment, half the films in existence wouldn't exist. Christopher Nolan, Steven Spielberg, Alfonso Cuaron, Joss Whedon: these writers/directors and others would not have made their films if the "industry" were just for entertainment. And besides, Windtalkers isn't trying to be historically accurate; it was trying to be a horrific and heroic tale about friendship and sacrifice.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (482 customer reviews)

$14.98 $6.59