1,899 of 1,928 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Best workout MP3 player avaialble...with some quirks, August 30, 2011
This review is from: SanDisk Sansa Clip Zip 4GB MP3 Player, Black With Full-Color Display, MicroSDHC Card Slot and Stopwatch- SDMX22-004G-A57K (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I am a big old fat geek that recently got into doing...(GASP!)...exercising.

I have many MP3 capable products and reasons why I am very fond of this little one for my new found effort. I have the following list of products and have tried my:

Nexus S (too big and heavy for running, no physical buttons)
iPod touch 4th Gen (Big, expensive at the storage size i wanted and no buttons for music controls)
iPod Nano 4thGen (little, has a clip, but why the hell can't they include buttons?)
iPod shuffle (not enough storage and I don't want to mix in my metal songs from lifting weights into my up beat running songs...)

Likes:
The clip Zip sounds great, is very small, has a clip and has physical buttons.

It fits every need i want. The bonus is the MicroSD slot, I can not stress this enough. Skip the 8GB version and get the 4GB and pair it with a 16 or 32GB card. Bam 20-36GB of storage, insanely small and still clocks in under $100.

FLAC support.

Low rez color screen does what it needs to. Won't knock people over but tells you whats playing with album art.

As for the other areas, the stop watch works like a stop watch...It keeps time and does splits. Not a huge thing and if you are using a polar watch or at a gym, the machine you are on will do just as well and be more convenient. In a pinch it works.

The FM radio works fine. I live in a rural area, so my station choices are limited. From my experience, it works just fine if you are in an area with good recption.

Dislikes:
*UPDATE* MM works on updated firmware...still broken on stock firmware. Drag and drop also works, so you have that going for you.

General gripe: The included headphones are perfect for giving to people you hate. You can use them, i guess, if you want to torture yourself, but like any MP3 player, Apple or otherwise, get some better phones...your ears and your music will appreciate it.

Considering you would need to pay twice as much for an iPod with fewer features, no physical buttons and no storage expansion, just to run in a hampster wheel, save your scratch and get this guy. You will be glad you did, as it looks good, sounds good and does a it in a small package that just screams to be used in your fitness routine.

Update of an update: A new firmware patch was released, make sure to update your new Clip Zip or you will experience the "Static Blast" between some of your songs...not fun, but it has been addressed, so make sure to update right away.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 16 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 93 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 30, 2011 12:00:39 PM PDT
Good review! Did you test it with balanced armature earphones?

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 12:20:22 PM PDT
mikerman says:
Nice comments, but just an addition: some people actually like the stock SanDisk earbuds that come with the SanDisk players and have even sought out where to buy them separately. Me, I substitute a good pair of in-ear monitors, that pair well with the Clips. But it just goes to show you, different tastes and preferences.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2011 1:31:27 PM PDT
Yeah...I use these with a set of over ear clips I cannibalized from some old V-Modas.

Shure SE110 Sound Isolating Earphone with Balanced Armature Driver (Black)

I also am quite fond of the Klipsch S2s and S4s (I did say I was a little geeky, right?)

I have noticed an odd issue with the Zip when I started playing with the EQ settings...I get a really brief static "blast" when songs switch when using the custom EQ setting. I will be editing my review for this. No issue when on a stock EQ setting though.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2011 1:34:12 PM PDT
I use Shure S110s for my normal pair at home, I keep some Klipsch S4s at work and my gym set is Klipsch S2s.

I just do not like the feeling of jamming a dime in my ear...personal taste.

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 5:01:21 PM PDT
Nice review. How's the FM radio feature on this?

Posted on Aug 31, 2011 1:00:26 AM PDT
Do you know if it can handle multi-BA's (like the Triple.fi 10 or the Shure SE 425) as well as the Clip+?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2011 7:15:15 AM PDT
Functional...I only used it at the gym, where they broadcast the TV stations over FM. It worked fine, but it wasn't the best at picking up signals of standard broadcasts. I do live in a rural area, so YMMV on this feature.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2011 7:22:02 AM PDT
I do not know. This is definitely not an "audiophile" device...It does its job and does it well. To pair it with that level of phones would be akin to sticking a high end after market exhaust on your stock Ford Fiesta...It will make a difference, but you are still driving a Ford Fiesta. If you are looking for that level of fidelity, you may want to look elsewhere, but for $50, it does support OGG and FLAC, so you may be pleasantly surprised against a iPod shuffle or Nano.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2011 7:36:12 AM PDT
I'm using my iPhone 4 for playing music (together with my Shure SE425) which is actually the only player (besides the Sansa Clip+) that can handle multi BAs due to it's output which has nearly 0 Ohms.

I want to use the player for jogging. The iPhone is too heavy. The Clip+ has too much noise and the software is buggy.

Is there anybody who has got multi BAs and can test them with the clip zip?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2011 8:27:34 AM PDT
Valent says:
I encountered the static 'blast' between songs right out of the box when listening to the demo tracks that came on the player. That was without even changing any settings anywhere. At first, I thought that perhaps it was an issue with the demo songs, but having transferred a number of mp3's over to the unit, it's still occurring.

I've since set the clock and tried other preset EQ settings and still get the static. I haven't tried any custom EQ settings yet.

I'm wondering if it's a firmware issue or if my Zip is defective.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›