Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on Tikes

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby Mama Drama Rama!, March 11, 2014
This review is from: Night Broken (Mercy Thompson Book 8) (Kindle Edition)
When a book is quotable, I'm gonna quote!
"Adam snorted as he pulled on a faded green t-shirt that said "I Heart Coyotes." Yet another sign that folding my clean clothes wasn't too big a price to pay to make him happy. He didn't have any "I Heart Christy " shirts--or I would have burned them already."

"I thought we should apply that kind of thinking to the matter of Cristy's stalker." He gave me a skeptical look. "No, really," I said. "Now that we know that Flores is really this nasty, fiery, superpowerful nothing-can-kill-me demon from hell, maybe we should consider just giving Christy to him?" He laughed.
"I'm serious," I said.

"Seriously? Do you know how many guilty people are in jail? None." Gary's voice rose to imitate a woman's voice. "Honest. I didn't kill him. He fell on my knife. Fourteen times."

You would think that our favorite coyote, Mercy, would have enough to deal with in her life when it comes to adversaries of the supernatural and furry variety. But she may have to confront her biggest challenge yet in the form of the former Mrs. Adam Hauptman. That's right, the ex is in trouble and on the run from her psycho boyfriend. And Adam wouldn't be the Adam that Mercy knows and loves if it wasn't in his nature to help others, especially the mother of his child.

The ex, Christy, is only safest in Adam's house and with his pack even though several things aren't quite adding up. But one thing is as clear as day, Christy wants Adam back and isn't afraid to play dirty to get him. Mercy isn't going to take this lying down, but Christy's peculiar psycho boyfriend may have more going on than some crazy stalker tendencies and as more bodies pile up, it's up to Mercy to put a stop to it.

Night Broken is certainly one of the more memorable entries in the world of Mercy Thompson. She's got bad guys...and girls all around and it's hard to know who she can truly trust! Christy's character is the one you love to hate. We'd been lucky for a while with her out of the picture, but since the character never died we knew she'd have to crop up sooner or later. And even death isn't always a guarantee that we'll be done with a character in the paranormal world, so it's always in our best interests to just wait and see. I did thoroughly enjoy this part of the book, even if Christy made me want to shoot myself (...or maybe her for that matter). Mercy is a better woman than I am, that's all I can say about that.

Mercy's snark was of the highest order this time around and I found it refreshing. I loved this that novel tested the depth of Mercy and Adam's feelings for one another as well. They define what it is to be a unit. I think Adam fans in general will find him pretty swoon-worthy.

The villain was pretty interesting. I wasn't always sure what direction Briggs was going to take with his character so that helped keep the read very engaging. I did find myself annoyed more than once with Adam's pack though. It really disappointed me how they treated Mercy despite her dedication to them and the fact that she sticks her neck out there for their sakes time and time again. I really wish they would get over themselves. One saving grace is the fact that if they can't do it at once, they might be able to do it one by one. I thought the developments with Honey were well done and are a closer step in the direction of where things need to go.

My biggest gripe for the book would be the length. The latest Mercy books have felt too short to me. I mean, 350 pages might seem like enough but I feel like I whiz through it so fast. I could use another meaty 50-75 pages per entry. Additional pages would perhaps allow for more inclusion of side characters whose presence I found myself missing, namely Stefan. I know it's probably not very easy to figure out how to incorporate him now that Mercy's married to Adam, but I really like his character and his devotion to Mercy. Though he plays an important role, he is featured so little here and that makes me miss the old times. I am not very invested in the vampires as a whole in this world, just him. Briggs does a wonderful job at making me care more about pack matters in general, but I could still use a Stefan spin-off!

But all in all it's a good read and I think the fans will enjoy it immensely. The series still has a lot to offer and I look forward to what's next.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 11, 2014 7:59:09 AM PDT
Jodi says:
I totally agree with you! I l"heart" Stefan too and would *LOVE* to read a Stefan spin-off. Great review!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2014 8:47:03 AM PDT
Thanks, Jodi! I hope that she has something good cooking up for him and that why we've seen so little of him. But I guess we'll see!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2014 6:21:52 PM PDT
You know, I don't get why some Mercy Fans are so eager for Mercy to get with Stefan. In the Twilight books, the vamps are supposed to be heroes, but that is so NOT how it is in the Mercy books. Stefan is the best of the lot, and he lives only by regularly sucking his sheep. After awhile, a sheep dies and must be replaced. Do you really think Mercy could live with a man--ah, a vampire--who needed to suck human blood and to kill eventually in order that he might go?

No. Think it through, Mercy Fans. She will NEVER be with Stefan. The most he can ever be to her is a friend.

And, I think Adam is great, but I will not argue that point here. Just pointing out, this series is never going to put Mercy at Stefan's mercy--so stop hoping for that!

Still, I would not mind reading a Stefan spin-off either. I like him as a character. Just not for Mercy.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2014 10:19:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 15, 2014 10:23:37 PM PDT
In general I prefer vampires in other series, but I mainly read Mercy Thompson for the pack stuff. I am definitely Team Adam for Mercy but I do still like the Stefan character though I don't see him with Mercy either and considering that I HATE love triangles, I'd rather things stay as they are. I hope my review didn't suggest otherwise. I'd just still like more screen time with him even with platonic development. I don't follow the Mercy fandom too much but I thought the majority was happy with her and Adam together.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2014 5:43:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2014 5:45:12 AM PDT
I don't follow the fandom much either but was reacting to a few reviews I saw here for this book that say, essentially, Adam is a punk who let his ex-wife run all over him in this book and that the marriage between him and Mercy has made them both dull. Some think Mercy would be better with Stefan. Not you, I realize, but I was reacting more to other reviews. Sorry for the confusion.

I think you and I are on the same page really or at least in the same chapter. Stefan would be fun to read about in his own spinoff but not as an alternative to Adam for Mercy.

And, to MY way of thinking, Adam and Mercy are great together and these books are pretty darned near perfect.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2014 11:52:55 AM PDT
Jodi says:
And I never said I wanted Mercy and Stefan to be together either. I simply said I love him and would like to see more of him. Patricia Briggs has the Alpha & Omega series which chronicles the story of Charles and his mate Anna....once in a while Charles gets mentioned in the Mercy Thompson series as well, and the stories all fit together nicely. A Stefan spin off like that would be cool....a book about Stefan and some adventure or two that he goes on, with maybe a cameo by Mercy and Adam, or something to that effect. I think it would go over well. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2015 7:43:50 PM PDT
DGR says:
It's really kind of bad for Adam as a character that so many people want him to jump in and defend Mercy against Christy. Look at it from Adam's perspective from who he is as a character. He's not interested in Christy. He's made that clear to her. He's deeply and completely in love with Mercy. Why should he make it any clearer? It's a constant war that's just going to escalate anyway, so why make it worse for either party? He's not going to rag on Christy just for Mercy's sake, because it's petty and that's Mercy's territory, namely because she's sneakier and can handle herself. To Adam, it's simple. He loves her. He's not going to leave her. And it's none of anyone else's business, unless things go too far. Which is absolutely perfect for Mercy. Stefan would be a great character to see happy though. Even if it's with Marsilla...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›