Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Storm Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

2.0 out of 5 stars Bioware did this?, March 8, 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dragon Age 2 - PC (Video Game)
I have been a fan of Bioware since I played Knights of the Old Republic. For years, it looked as if this company could do no wrong. Every title seemed to be lavished with the love that its creators bestowed upon it.

Enter Dragon Age II...

Wow, what a mess. Essentially, Bioware has spit on the faces of the PC crowd with this simplified, clunky and rushed release. It's a console game, nothing more. It's bad by typical gaming standards, and horrible by Bioware standards. I'm sorry, but I've come to expect more from them. Their long track record of stellar releases was broken here.

The story is disjointed. The combat is mind numbing and the zones are repetitive.

The whole thing seems to have been done by an EA focus group. And, given Bioware's track record with this and the issues on Old Republic, I'm beginning to wonder if that's not indeed the case.

I'm afraid they've sold their soul to EA, and now we're starting to see the fruits of that decision. This does not bode well for the Dragon Age franchise, nor the Old Republic franchise. The things that made Bioware great in the past -- their storytelling, the depth of their games, new innovations -- all take a backseat to carting out a product that can cash in on a franchise base. All the while screwing over the very gamers that made them popular in the first place.

I wouldn't say never to get it, but $60 for this game is outrageously overpriced. I would spend $19.99 for it down the road, when it's on sale somewhere. It's worth that, but not a penny more.

EDIT -- I misclicked on my overall review with a 1 star. It is certainly not that, but I think 2 stars is fair, given the way the game was titled "Dragon Age 2," when it's really not that. It's not a true sequel. 2 stars would signify some redeeming value for fans of the series, and I think it may appeal to certain fans. Just not to me.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 8, 2011 9:42:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2011 9:42:45 PM PST
S. Kim says:
Well hopefully the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will make up the for crap that is Dragon Age 2

Posted on Mar 9, 2011 1:42:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 9, 2011 2:01:31 AM PST
Oh The Old Republic is led by the lead designer of BG 2, who also led KotOR. So there is hope :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2011 4:57:26 AM PST
NCGuy says:
I am waiting until the price goes down to 19.95 with all the DLCs. After playing the demo, it wasn't worth no 59.95.

Posted on Mar 9, 2011 6:09:28 AM PST
Philly says:
Thanks for the warning. I played DA1 last month for the first time, picking it up for $20. I figure I will just wait a year and then get this game when it's cheaper.

Posted on Mar 9, 2011 9:56:29 AM PST
M. Weir says:
Didn't you play the demo? When I realized I was mostly just mashing one button for combat I was like "no thanks". If I wanted that I'd go play dynasty warriors. Also, nice console textures on my PC, BioWare.

Garbage.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2011 9:50:37 AM PDT
Dylan Bales says:
The game itself is horrible, but the full game has an update for the non-console textures, if you want them. They make things look nicer, unfortunately they don't fix the gameplay or repetitive zones that we must travel through over and over again.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›