5.0 out of 5 stars A Near Perfect Fit!, May 7, 2010
This review is from: Lowepro SlingShot 202 AW (Electronics)
I have been using a Lowepro Micro Trekker 200 for the last several years. It's been a great bag and has held up very well. The problem is, it's just not comfortable enough to wear for an extended period of time. I usually set it down somewhere (leave it in the truck). The camera comes out and gets hung around my neck. If I need to switch lenses, I'm out of luck unless I walk back to where ever I set the bag down. I wanted something easy and comfortable that would allow me to carry just enough equipment to get the shots I wanted.

After doing a lot or research on line and in store, I found the Slingshot line of bags. I chose the 202 because it was the smallest bag that would fit my camera with a mid range lens attached. My go-to setup is a Nikon D5000 with the 16-85mm lens. As small as this combination is, it won't fit in the 100 series bag unless you detach the lens first. I chose the 202 over the 200 because the 202 has a strap to carry a tripod built on to the side of the back pack.

**Update 11/12/10 - I recently purchased a Nikon 70-300 mm VR lens. The lower camera portion of the 202 will fit the equivilent of 1 DSLR and up to 4 Nikon 70-300mm VR lenses and still have enough room for a charger & spare battery. (I know there is no reason to carry 4 of the same lenses. I share this because it gives you a maximum point of reference.) The 70-300 lens attached to the camera will fit comfortably. The other 3 will fit, but tightly! The equipment I use most often is a D5000 DSLR, 12-24mm, 16-85mm, 70-300mm, 35mm F1.8 and an SB800 flash. You can comfortably carry one DSLR, any 4 of the above, and a battery charger & spare battery in the lower portion of the bag. There are still front and top zipper pockets for other gear and/or your lunch. - End of update.**

I also bought the Lowepro Bottle Bag which I highly recommend. It attaches via built-in straps on the side or back of the slingshot. So now, I can even carry a drink. Lowepro sells a variety of accessories like the bottle bag that can attach to their camera bags.

From a pratical standpoint, the Slingshot series of bags allows a photographer a considerable amount of convenience and freedom. The bag is comfortable on your back. You can carry as much or as little equipment as you want. When you need it, the bags "slings" around to your front without taking it off your shoulder. You pull out your camera, take your shot, put the camera back, and move on hands free. With the bag in the front position, it even makes a steady spot to rest your arm/support the camera for those longer exposure shots. The Sling Shot even has a built-in all weather cover that you pull out to protect the back pack and your equipment in the event of rain or snow.

The one odd thing I found only affects you if you buy the bottle bag or some other accessory like I did. The only logical place to attach the bottle bag and be able to easily reach it, is on the same side where the tripod strap is. (The other side of the bag has the flap that opens to the camera.) If you do this, you can't carry both at the same time. You can attach the bottle bag to the front (back of the back pack when it's on your back), but you'll never reach your water bottle without taking the back pack off or "slinging" it around. This is not a problem or a design flaw. It is just something to be aware of if you take my advice and buy a bottle bag or other accessory.

The one complaint I have... The opening where the camera body sits is considerably wider than it needs to be. It turns into waisted space. Lowepro should come up with a use/design to take advantage of this wasted space. If they are reading my review, it would make a great spot to install a small compartment/wallet to hold spare batteries and a charger, add one more divider to hold something like lens hoods, or extend the existing divider so you could fit a longer zoom lens.

In the reseach I did, I couldn't find a better back pack. It is so near perfect that unless something better comes along, I have to give this bag a "highly recommended" to anyone considering it. I would happily buy it again.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 18, 2010 7:13:55 PM PDT
Chalupacabra says:
Despite Lowepro saying otherwise, reviewers have shown that the size of the camera compartment is JUST enough for a D80/D90 plus grip. I really, really hope Lowepro does not change this, though I see how that could be annoying to those not using an extra grip.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2010 4:10:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2010 7:22:35 AM PST
Todd says:
I think?? your comment relates to the height (5.5" High/Deep) of the opening where my review relates to the width (11" wide, much more than what is needed even with a grip.

Posted on Nov 19, 2010 10:16:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2010 10:21:08 PM PST
J says:
I have the same camera with 3 of the same lenses so this is an extremely helpful post. Thanks for the detail!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2010 7:20:17 AM PST
You're welcome!

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 8:49:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2012 12:06:19 PM PDT
Todd, does the bag fit under an airplane seat?

UPDATE: The 202 fits under the seat. We flew from CA to DC with the Lowepro under the seat and still some room for my feet. The bag is such a functional size for my Nikon D300, lenses and extras.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 6:59:18 AM PST
Todd says:
I don't know the answer to that question. If the airlines give a maximum size for under the seat storage, lowepro does post the dimensions of this case on their website. I would also say that the 202 is soft sided - meaning you can, well, crunch/smush the bag into a smaller spot if it is not packed too full.

Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 11:04:07 AM PST
Thank you. From what I've read and comparing the 202 to my larger lowepro compudaypack the 202 will fit.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 4:24:25 PM PDT
E. Phillips says:
Where did you buy the bottle bag? I can't find it

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 9:09:56 AM PDT
Here you go Lowepro S&F Bottle Pouch

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 11:21:49 AM PDT
E. Phillips says:
Thank you so much! I just bought the slingshot bag, it will attach to that correct?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (605 customer reviews)

$119.99 $54.99