5.0 out of 5 stars Pooch Pedicures Made Easy!, February 28, 2012
This review is from: Safari Professional Pet Nail Trimmer, Small/Medium (Misc.)
My poor old spaniel is getting up there in years. Blind as a bat, going deaf, and his hips are giving out. All he has left is his appetite and tummy rubs. Taking him to the groomer is stressful for him--and sheer anguish for me. I can't shave his fur in the summer, but I can spare him the visits just for nail trimming...now that I've discovered the Safari Professional Pet Nail Trimmer.

The clippers are surprisingly easy to use, the cut is clean and precise, and you don't need tremendous pressure to cut straight through. I was afraid of hitting the dreaded quick and making my little guy bleed, but a quick check on Google for nail cutting tips (and simple but excellent instructions on the packaging of these clippers) made that a non-problem too. Just look at the underside of the dog's nail. Even on blackest nails, you can see the pinker or lighter part of the nail, which is the quick. Place the clippers a bit above that (in the direction away from the foot pad) and you're fine. My first time clipping Stanley nails was a cinch. And believe me, this dog has feet the size of saucers and nails to match. Thick as pinky fingers.

I waited until Stanley was sleeping (he has never been a dog with lightening like reflexes...even as a youngster, people meeting him for the first time always thought he was dead, took a paw, checked to see where the "quick" ended and 'snip' -- that fast, that simple. About halfway through the pedicure he woke up, but not sensing any food in the immediate area, dozed back off again so I could complete the job.

My niece has a little poodle who is also pushing the envelope in terms of age. However, her dog doesn't have my Stanley's sweet disposition and is on the No Fly List at most of the groomers in town. She asked me if I'd do the dog's nails for her. I guess she figured I'm older and have less to live for. Anyway, we got a big pile of treats ready. My niece kept tossing them into the dog's mouth, distracting her, while I went to work on the nails. This is the same trick my manicurist uses with me and it worked equally well with the dog.

If you've been considering trimming your dog's nails yourself, these are a very good tool. Dogs'nails grow very quickly; they need frequent trimming. The nails are connected to the leg bones and when they get too long, can jar the animal and make walking uncomfortable--particular in dogs with hip problems and/or arthritis and other joint issues. These affordable clippers cost about what a single nail clipping does at the groomers, so it's money well spent.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 187 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 29, 2012 4:04:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 29, 2012 9:29:01 AM PST
Your last paragraph told me more about doggie anatomy than I didn't know. Thanks.

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 8:12:36 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 9:28:12 AM PST
NyiNya says:
I don't know if the nail thing is true, but groomers always tell you that so you bring your dog in for a ten dollar trim every two weeks. I still think you need a dog, Edwin. If condo policy forbids them, move. You're a dog kinda guy.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 9:30:27 AM PST
Yes, I am a dog lover. I even recommend that instructors practice their platform skills on their dogs, if they own them. Dogs are great listeners!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 9:31:10 AM PST
NyiNya says:
Taking the pith out of a nail is better than taking the pith out of a person, eh Ace. The leg bones are not clipped. When one goes off independently, it is filed down. Please see my review on Hello Kitty Osteorasps. Or for the nutmeg grater, which is used on the bug-eyed hamster. Who is still right here, waiting.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 9:31:39 AM PST
I'd be afraid of hitting a nerve.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 9:34:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 29, 2012 9:37:43 AM PST
NyiNya says:
My Stanley is not such a great listener. Even before he went deaf, no matter what I said, only the words 'walk' and 'cookie' registered. On the other hand, I can tell him anything and he just sits there, head to one side, looking vaguely interested. That hasn't changed at all, despite his loss of hearing. And he never says "What? What did you say? Why I oughtta..."

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 9:45:17 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 10:25:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 29, 2012 10:26:39 AM PST
NyiNya says:
How can you say that about terriers. Clever little Jack Russells, goofy wire-hairs, thy're all energy and enthusiasm and grinning. But I agree about the little herders. My neighbor took his little shetland collie camping. He woke to find his tent surrounded by cattle. Little Sheila woke early, went exploring, found cows. She rounded them up and herded them home. Poor guy grabbed the dog and his gear and beat it out of there before he was arrested for cattle rustling. At home, Sheila herded other dogs and dogwalkers, nipping us until we obediently gathered on her lawn. We'd mill around in suitably ovine fashion until she was satisfied, and then we could go.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 10:47:27 AM PST
Aceto says:
Handy dogs. I just wish they could pick out one cow and leave the rest.

You are aware of the effect Jack Russells have on epileptics. They are tops, on the other paw, for neurotics.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (2,001 customer reviews)
 (1,549)

$11.49 $8.53
Reviewer

NyiNya "NyiNya"
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Location: It was broken when I got here...

Top Reviewer Ranking: 366