Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

1.0 out of 5 stars Tough to rate, October 22, 2012
This review is from: Ariat Men's Rambler Wide Square Toe Western Cowboy Boot (Apparel)
Ariat makes great stuff. Ask any equestrian, particularly English riders, and theyll tell you they make a good, if expensive, boot.

These are (mostly) no exception... Quality, supple leather. Great style and details. Robust construction. Really a near perfect boot.

Except for one huge thing: the sizing. I need the pair of boots by the day of this review so im not going to keep guessing on the sizing and return these for a different size.

I really feel like the dimensions were put together by drunk cobblers. Seriously. Its terrible.

I'm a size 10.5-11. These in size 10wide were horrendously too big. Like amusingly so. So I tried again and re-ordered in 9.5m. They manage to be both slightly too large, and slightly too small in several places. And not quite in the normal just need to be worn in spots. I have owned all manner of boots. I have purchased riding boots from Ariat for many friends. I have never seen anything like the sizing of this boot.

So as others have suggested, order one full size smaller. And the only thing i can think, is that because of the smaller size, you may need to get it wide too. I really cant tell how easily mine are going to break in. Its loose in the heal (more than normal) but tight in the ball and top. And the calves are some of the largest and loosest ive ever seen on a boot. (normal for more suede type tops but this is crazy large, imo.) They manage to be a little too tight to put on too. Maybe this is on purpose because the floppy calf wont keep it on?

I'm going to oil and maybe even warm these up later to try to get a good fit. I've had them for 6 hours so far... Either way, for these prices, they really ought to have the sizing figured out. This is absurd. While im a huge fan of Amazon, this is one item youre better off buying at a boot shop so you can get the size figured out.

And the reason these get 1 from me is because ultimately, not matter how great a boot, if your boot doesnt fit right, and in this case im defining that as within the universally agreed upon standards in the US since Ariat is a US company, its a terribly boot for the consumer.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 22, 2012 9:58:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 22, 2012 9:58:41 PM PDT
vandalwolf says:
I feel ya had to exchange mine, normally wear an 11D had to get a 9EE and was still too narrow but I just suffered it out for 2 weeks and now they feel awesome like a pair of worn in tennis shoes, but for the price that shouldn't have been. Check my customer image for a size comparison of a pair of timberland's and these ariat's.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 10:57:55 PM PDT
A. Reader says:
Thanks for commiserating with me EL. I will check yours out. Did i rate mine too harshly?

There just seems no rhyme or reason to it. I had a thing tonight I needed em for... For an hour before it I steamed up my bathroom, massaged in mink oil, wore double socks and danced around in the bathroom in em. All of that helped, but my feet are miserable. And some of that great original color is gone. (I know as the oil dries it'll come back.) I've always been in the school of thought that boots should break in, but not ever be uncomfortable. With double socks I can't get my ankle in but once I do it moves around. These are nuts. In dozens and dozens of pairs of boots I've never experienced anything like it. I regret not ordering three pairs, namely 9.5ee and 9ee just to see. So frustrating.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 10:49:58 AM PST
I think it is unfair to give a great boot such a low review based on the size when the general rule of thumb is you should always try them on before purchasing. It's a rule of thumb. All companies fit different. Ordering boots on line comes with that risk. Send them back, get the right size and give a review off that pair.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 3:54:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2012 3:56:29 PM PST
A. Reader says:
I understand what youre saying and you may be right. But I had to do that 3 times. And am still not 100% satisfied. I'm ok plus or minus a half size, but this is just too much. Whats the point of having shoe sizes if there is not even a semblance of uniformity? And because I had to go so far down from my normal size, the width got screwed up. So they still arent a great fit, 2 months later. And if these boots need to be purchased in the store, they shouldnt be sold online. Because i have bought lots of other shoes and boots online, with no problems, because of the implicit agreement between the general public and shoe companies that our shoe sizes mean something! Not just that, but its markedly different sizing from every other pair of ariats ive ever tried on or owned.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 5:54:53 AM PST
i have the same exact review except this one is way better written. Gorgeous boot, good material and well constructed, surprising since its made in china, but the sizing is horrendous, it makes no sense when you put on these boots. I just found this company and not surprising since im in NYC, but I ordered the dillinger which is more of an urban style boot and goes great with a pair of jeans and was planning on wearing these for the next 10 years but they are a huge disappointment.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 7:53:04 AM PST
Sounds like it may be your foot is stranange not the boot. I think they would have changed it if there were a majority having your problem. Looks like you were in the the mood for typing.. telling every detail of your fitting experience. Good luck on your next boot. I bet they would take those back if you don't wear them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 10:47:53 AM PST
A. Reader says:
A lot of other reviewers have had this problem, with this specific boot. And sure maybe its my foot, but somehow every other shoe and boot company has adjusted to my crazy sized feet. And most other ariat boots fit better. Ariat makes great boots. And people who wear them know they can run a half size too big sometimes (for the mens mostly, doesnt seem to be a problem for their English boots), but this was such an extreme separation from the universally agreed upon tenants of sizing that I thought it was worth mentioning.

Posted on May 26, 2013 12:06:44 PM PDT
Nota Bene says:
Not sure why, but my buddy and I bought a pair each (I bought mine about a year later) and they fit like a glove. Size 9 and 9 1/2, no problem at all with either width or the size, and extremely comfortable. Were recommended to my friend by somebody else and his recommendation was based on how well they fit. So I don't know what you guys are talking about I'm pretty sure it's your foot, not the boot. Yesterday went and checked Ariat in a cowboy boots store, specifically tried several different models on, they all fit just fine, not all of them were as comfortabe for me as this boot though. You shouldn't have 1 star for this, man, this is unfair, honest.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2013 9:19:57 PM PDT
Mind if i say somethin here. I like your idealism and righteousness, I tend to be the same way, but from thoroughly reading this commenter's issue, he clearly had a strange problem with these boots, the kind of thing you don't want to happen ordering shoes online. You tried on ariat boots and they fit well, but from reading these commenters, there is some sort of manufacturing defect with at least some of the boots in this particular model. And after all, they Are made in China, and it is possible that there are moments of poor quality control.

Posted on Oct 11, 2013 1:43:30 PM PDT
Sounds like a manufacturing issue. I agree, Ariat makes some great boots, but the fit should be reasonably standardized across their boots. If a 9 in one style is an 11 in another style there is a problem.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›