5.0 out of 5 stars Trackballers Unite! Get Microsoft to make this AGAIN!!, May 29, 2009
This review is from: Microsoft Trackball Explorer - Trackball - optical - 5 button(s) - wired - PS/2, USB - retail (Accessory)
Well, well. I have a Microsoft Trackball Explorer 1.0 that is now wearing out. The bearings have flattened out and though it still works I decided to get another. It turns out! They are Discontinued! And for sale at an astronomical price!! I did an extensive search on the web, and this product is high priced and in limited supply. I am disappointed in MICROSOFT!! There are loyal trackball consumers who would like to have this product for purchase- and available at a decent price!

Since I have had several of these through the years (I go back to the original Kensington trackball on my first computer in the 80's!) I simply won't go back to a traditional mouse. What I will say, if you are willing to buy this product at any price, is you will not go wrong or be disappointed. It is ergonomic and fits my hand well. I like the placement of the left click and right click buttons. You can access these with your thumb or your fingers since they are in both places. The trackball is responsive and moves the mouse curser well on the screen. I don't even think about using it anymore- the setup is in memory and second nature.

Now I need to learn a new product since I can't seem to afford this one. It looks like the reviews for the Logitech trackballs are quite good. I just have to decide whether to have the ball placement be at the thumb or at the fingertip as it is with the Microsoft Trackball Explorer.

Perhaps we should all band together and email Microsoft to nudge them into manufacturing the trackball explorers again.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 22, 2009 3:31:53 AM PDT
A. Whitson says:
I understand the complaint and feel that this design has been the most ergonomic and functional of any mouse system to date. Due to limited supply I have opted to recondition my unit in order to prolong its lifespan. I have found this unit to also be of an advantage when used during gaming sessions. I currently am researching implementing improved optic sensors and leds in order to improve the dpi sensitivity rating for gamers.

Posted on Jan 13, 2010 12:16:13 PM PST
I have been looking for one too after years and years of owning my old one, but just as you said, they are a rare find. This is the best Trackball to date and I wont update until I find one with a similar design and preferably made my MS.

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 1:34:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2013 1:36:53 PM PST
Please, oh please bring back the Microsoft Trackball Explorer - optical- wired PS/2,USB! My old one was "acting up" and I bought the closest thing I could find to its configuration. A Logitech that the salesperson told me was the dinosaur of computer mice. How dare he? A young man not troubled with arthritis, or used to using a comfortable and simple to use mouse that beats them all! I've located a place on eBay to have it repaired, but it would cost a LOT. And the two new ones I've seen are insanely priced. Like, "I've got what you need, so pay for it." Not at $500! That's just being downright greedy. I'm 82 and have used a computer for 14 years. Right now I spend a lot of time on volunteer work on the computer.........if I got paid for it I'd be wealhy. But volunteer work is rewarding in itself. I can make do with this mouse I have now, but it can't compare to the model that was made by Microsoft. As I said before, PLEASE manufacture more of them. We old dinosaurs loved it, and miss it terribly. I hope many more customers give you a nudge. They say (whoever they are) "if it ain't broke don't fix it." Well, mine is broke and I can't get a replacement. Come on Microsoft............listen to us! Thank you kindly.
Cordially,
Mrs. W.D. Connelly

Posted on Sep 6, 2014 5:50:48 PM PDT
on ebay there will be people who will put in new bearings for about $50.00. I did this because I love my trackball. If I had the money, i'd probably spend $649. but I don't have it... The ball on mine no longer works but I use a smaller ball. There is some delay and skipping but I don't game so I can live with it. When it totally dies, I don't know what I will do.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.9 out of 5 stars (9 customer reviews)

$599.00