5.0 out of 5 stars Informative & humorous review - Izod Metrix fit design works for folks caught in between inseam sizes of other brands, January 10, 2014
This review is from: IZOD Men's American Chino Pleated Pant (Apparel)
January 2014. This is a serious, informative review, liberally sprinkled with classic insight and irreverent humor please benefit from it and enjoy. As you would expect anyone shopping for pleated cuffed trousers this reviewer is of a "classic" mindset, and that is the case here...

I stumbled upon these IZOD Metrix Fit pants looking to restock my closet with hard-to-find 1) classic 2) pleated, 3) cuffed... trousers. These are claimed to be "out of style" right now by contemporary fashion mavens but they are of course wrong. Classics like "Wayfarer" sunglasses, "Topsider" boat shoes, or "Harris Tweed" sport coats never really go out of style for design purists - that is why classics are recognized as "classics." And of course what is out-of-style is eventually back-in-style - on the "fashion merry-go-round" so why play that game?

From the IZOD website: "IZOD's Metrix Fit varies the rise of the pants to match the waist and length to create a better, more custom look." My experience is that this statement is true. I am a purest consumer, not a clothes designer, however the IZOD Metrix fit/cut really does appear to produce pants with a more correct inseam length for pleated and I assume non-pleated pants. Short "high-water" cuffed trousers are an embarrassment, and too-long trousers drag/abrade cuffs in the back to the point the trousers look tattered.

These Metrix cut pants are ideally cut for someone that is caught in between inseam sizes of other-vendor/conventionally cut trousers. E.g. if 30" inseam is too short but the rear of 32" inseams drag on the ground, I recommend you give a pair of these a trial fit. You can order in the length that is a bit too short for you (in other sizes - I believe the IZOD cut will be close to just right for you. I generally have to have the inseam/cuffs adjusted/tailored to fit, as I mentioned I am "caught between two sizes" in most all pants products offered of other vendors.

The cotton chino fabric is reasonably wrinkle resistant. They claim to also be stain resistant and I was able to brush off some dirt on some khaki colored pants so that seems true. I'd prefer the chino material to be thicker, thus more luxurious but it's more than adequate. Even the company that produced the "Terrain's End" you know the name - custom inseam pants has thinned-out their the pants material, so most all pants on the market are similar. I'm just relieved to purchase to get pants that don't require time-consuming, costly tailoring adjustments.

I generally have to buy long and have the inseam/cuffs tailored shorter to fit - as I am "caught between two sizes" in most all products of other vendors. Suggest if you are also "caught between inseam sizes," that you give a pair of Izod Metrix pants a try before you order long and head to the tailor shop.

It's also easier, and more affordable, to buy these via Amazon or other on-line vendor rather than driving all around town and re-experiencing the guy-horror of large shopping malls or large foofoo department stores.

And if you prefer a classic wardrobe in the closet, buy an assortment of these -quickly- before they are (yes) no longer available for sale for a few years until the fashion merry-go-round returns to these classics to the market place. They are already not pictured on the IZOD website - apparently the contemporary fashion mavens have banned them for several years. Because these classics are incorrectly labeled "out-of'style" you may even benefit from a discounted price... classic pragmatics win, fashionistas lose! ;-)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 20, 2014 9:13:02 AM PDT
Rocketbob says:
Hey Pragmatic, I agree with you. I have a lot of pants, because I am 69 years old. I have 2 Izods, they are my go to favorites. I got those at a mall store. I have a question, ordering on line, trying to get the waist and inseam right, can you give your opinion on how the sizes run. is 36, 36 or is it larger or smaller? I have got fond off shopping online, but never bought clothing online.. Bill

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2014 9:17:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2014 9:18:22 PM PDT
Pragmatic says:
RBob:
I've found the sizes to be true. If you have two Izods, if they are "Metrix" you should be able to order them in the same size you already have. I found the Classic Pleated slacks cheaper at a Mid-west Department store chain (name starts with "B") than on Amazon. I sent Amazon the discounted price but they have not adjusted/dropped the Amazon price. I found a coupon and free shipping over $99 and got these for ~$19 each. Use Google and search for the Izod product. The pleated cuffed slacks are "considered out of style" and no longer in production so buy quickly them when and where you can.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2014 9:36:49 AM PDT
Rocketbob says:
PMatic, thanks for the info. I checked JCP last night, $49+. I did BB for 10 secs, cant afford that. I will do a little more searching as you suggest. so far Amazon is good. I used to not like pleats, but now that's all I want, no cuffs, no. the Izods I have were about $19 about 5 years ago, up over double since then. I'm retired and don't need dressy cloths much. I mostly wear carpenter jeans, I love those, but Friday and Saturday nights out with my wife, she likes for me to wear the Izods. I live in a small community, 60 miles to a selection of large stores, a reason I have become an Amazon shopper. Plus I get to chat with folks like you on occasion. Again, thanks for the feedback. RB

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2014 9:17:55 AM PDT
Rocketbob says:
PragMatic. I got five pair for 125 from your suggested source. 2 Chinos and 3 Madison. They are very nice, fit perfect and I am good to go. I enjoyed chatting with you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (205 customer reviews)

$59.50 $21.99 - $99.95