5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful. Violent. Poetic. Dark. Max Payne 3, May 15, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Max Payne 3 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I must say I am impressed and a little surprised with what they have done with Max Payne. I have been building this game up in my head for the past few years since I first caught wind of it and I must say it has met and beat my expectations. The game is very well put together. There is intense action, a lot of violence, and a carefully woven story that is peppered with flashbacks and poetic cut scenes. The single player campaign is roughly 10 hours long and the trophies are split up between single player and multiplayer, though there are a few more single player trophies. Fans of the original games will enjoy this very much. I have a feeling that newcomers may gravitate more toward the multiplayer side of the game, while us old timers play Max Payne for the gripping story and the depressed main characters drunken inner monologue.

The full installation size is 5.5 gigs, there was a 25mb update on release day and a 59mb update on 5-21-12 which may have corrected some of the below issues gamers have been having. You DO NOT need to be connected to the internet for Max Payne 3 to save your game, as others have claimed you do. I unhooked my network and played for an hour, quit, restarted and it went right to where I left off. You also will earn trophies, but you need the internet to sync them to the PSN. Some players have noted that there are audio interruptions throughout the game, I have noticed this as well, however they are very minimal and random throughout the game which does not hinder the game playing experience. My only issue was that the voice did not match the characters lips moving in a short cut scene, again, a very mild issue which may have been corrected with the most recent update as I have not had any issues since.

Pros
+ Beautiful natural feeling graphics. Fairly well detailed and smooth running. It has a unique style that is very entertaining.
+ There is a very nicely woven storyline that really holds your interest throughout.
+ The A.I. is very good in my opinion giving us smart challenging enemies.
+ Music is classic Max Payne, but with a modern twist. Sound is very clear and strong. Voice acting is top notch and funny at times.
+ Bullet time is very well crafted. 360 shooting while on the ground is a nice touch. Shooting from cover is also well achieved.
+ Multiplayer does grow on you after more plays. It is fast, simple and smooth.

Cons
- Multiplayer is not as great as I was hoping. It is a bit clunky and only mildly entertaining. Bullet time is fun, however easily becomes a mess with many players. I would not recommend this game simply for multiplayer.
- Control in single player and multiplayer takes a little while to get used to. It is good, however it needs to grow on you. Sort of reminds me of the Alan Wake controls and the aiming system reminds me of Red Dead Redemption.
- I found that the game does get slightly repetitive after a while, however with the regular scenery change and story jumping it is very minimal.
- Bullet time can sometimes actually hinder your game play. If an enemy shoots you and you are near death, you are forced into a locked bullet time, which is cool, but if you need to reload or an object is in your way you will die and you have no control. Very frustrating.
- There a few weird clipping issues. Sometimes when you shoot an enemy they will just stand there frozen, and eventually fall.

One little pet peeve of mine in games is when they take the control away from the player, well due to all the loading cut scenes they do take the control away quite often and have varying length cut scenes. It does get annoying after a while and for the most part you cannot skip the cut scenes as it is loading the next section. However I rather sit through a cut scene than a empty loading screen.

As a huge Max Payne series fan, I was a little insulted by them adding multiplayer, though it is mildly fun and entertaining and like any multiplayer game it greatly depends on who you are playing with. Other reviews are saying this third installment in the Max Payne series has drifted from its roots. I agree and disagree. It has been almost 10 years since Max Payne 2 came out and the game needed a facelift. It is still Max Payne, however they have gone above and beyond to make this a new gaming experience yet still hold on to the classic aspects we look for. Max is old, I felt as bad for him as I did for Bruce Willis in Die Hard 4. He still has it though! Max's sad poetic dialogue, painkillers, and bullet time are all here. The game is very violent and intense, mostly seen in bullet time slow-mo kills showing the bullets flying through your enemies like a grapefruit.

The game is very smooth and stable and I have had no issues with glitching or lagging. At one point a multiplayer game did freeze up (the game, not the system) on me and it restarted within 30 seconds and took me back to the multiplayer menu.

Over-all I am very happy with Max Payne 3. It has lived up to my expectations and the hype. However keep in mind it is a single player game, with a less than perfect multiplayer game latched onto the single player for survival. The style is great; it is like a Heavy Rain and L.A. Noire and a Tony Scott (especially Man on Fire) film all in one. It is highly entertaining and the dialogue is fun and holds your interest throughout the game play. The loading times are hidden in the cut scenes, so there are many long cut scenes and they do seem to interrupt often, so if you are looking for a shoot um' up style game you'll get it with MP3, however you'll have to sit through the cut scenes first.

Highly recommended.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 15, 2012 1:10:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2012 1:11:17 PM PDT
MoultonHawk says:
I like this review, makes me feel even better than I didn't get it day one. However, the MP is supposed to be fantastic and the SP is suposed to be flawed you say completely the opposite. Hmm...

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 1:21:54 PM PDT
paper tiger says:
My review is just my opinion. I hate the control of the multiplayer and I just cannot get into it as I can with other multiplayer games. Every game will have its flaws, however I am really enjoying the single player thus far.

Posted on May 15, 2012 2:40:16 PM PDT
Anarchy 99 says:
Thank you for the review, much appreciated. :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 2:44:06 PM PDT
paper tiger says:
You're welcome! I hope you enjoy it as well. The more I play it the more I like it.

Posted on May 17, 2012 3:35:11 AM PDT
Ayman Mehrez says:
Someone in the 0 star review just said that you have to got an internet connection to save the game
Is it true ?

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 4:36:06 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
Hmmm... I could see that being true, however I'm not sure why they would set it up like that for the single player game. I always have an internet connection running, so I am unsure of this. It does not say anything on the box or in the game about it, as far as I can tell.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 4:39:05 AM PDT
Ayman Mehrez says:
I really need to know cause I dont have internet connection, Can't you try to play & save without internet connection ?
or check the box

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 4:55:34 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
I just got to work, I can check when I get home and let you know. However I did some research and apparently the only person having an issue with this is that one reviewer here on Amazon. You need an internet connection to play online and to sync your trophies, however there should be no need to have an internet connection to save. I think you are pretty safe, but again, I will turn off my wi-fi and play a little to see what he's talking about.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 4:59:28 AM PDT
Ayman Mehrez says:
Ok thanks very much for your kindness, Hope I am not doing any trouble

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 12:38:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2012 12:52:33 PM PDT
paper tiger says:
ok, I unhooked my modem and router completely. I played through 5 checkpoints. I quit the game and went back to my PS3 menu. I started the game again and when I hit continue it went right back to where I last was. It saved my game!

I can confirm that there is no need to be connected to the internet to save your game. To sync your trophies you do need to be connected, however you will still earn your trophies without an internet connection.

I searched the box and the manual and there is nothing that I could find saying that you needed an internet connection to save. It does however say that all saves are saved to the hard drive automatically.

Hope that helps anyone in doubt. It just goes to show you that you can't trust everyone.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (420 customer reviews)

$14.99 $12.00