Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Working perfectly, super quiet operation, top-notch customer service, November 19, 2009
This review is from: ioSafe Solo 1.5 TB Fireproof and Waterproof External Hard Drive with 1 Year Data Recovery Service SL1500GBUSB20 (Silver) (Personal Computers)
I'll try not to just repeat what all the other reviewers have said. I do recall reading several reviews prior to purchasing which mentioned noisy operation, so I wanted to add my two cents' worth in that regard. I've had mine for about 2 weeks now, running constantly. I'm using Mac 10.5.8 (Leopard). It connected immediately, went through very quick and easy steps to format correctly for Mac/Time Machine and it was up and running in less than 2 minutes. My drive sits on a granite surface and it is absolutely silent.

After installation and during the online warranty registration, I called ioSafe to ask a question about upping the disaster recovery and warranty to five years, and I've never had a company rep who was more easily accessible or more courteous. He thanked me several times for purchasing the drive, asked what operating system I was using, just general chit-chat for a couple minutes regarding the drive. I mentioned that the WSJ video was impressive, and he said the guy who did that was sitting right next to him. That started another line of conversation for a couple minutes. It was quite a refreshing change of pace to be able to speak with a live person by inputting just an extension number which was given in information that came with the drive than the norm these days of press this to do this, then that do do that, and so on, ad nauseum.

One additional thing I'd point out is that the drive is not nearly as big as I thought it was going to be, although it does weigh quite a bit so the weight listed is probably in the neighborhood. The Amazon.com product dimensions are incorrect. Their dimensions led me to believe it would be almost the size of a PC CPU, so I was pleasantly surprised. I've found that at least half the time I can't trust the dimensions and/or weight of products that Amazon gives.

This is a great hard drive, and I would highly recommend it. I don't have any negative comments whatsoever to impart thus far. The test will be in how it holds up over time, but I believe it to be a very well-made drive that I can feel comfortable in putting my family's photographs and videos on for archival storage. Of course, common sense dictates redundancy in archiving important data, but this drive is working wonderfully with Time Machine.

UPDATE 04/04/2011 - Still extremely satisfied with this purchase. I upgraded my Mac to a new 27" version on 01/01/2011 and this HD restored everything beautifully and perfectly from Time Machine. I subsequently had problems with my new Mac and had to have the HD replaced; thereafter, the IOSafe restored my backup perfectly a second and third time. I continue to highly recommend this drive without reservation. IN MY CASE, IT MAKES NO NOISE WHATSOEVER. This must vary, though, as there are other reviewers who mention a noise.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 6, 2010 2:22:04 PM PST
W. Galway says:
You're absolutely right that the data that Amazon gives on size/weight is often incorrect. On the other hand, you do have the option to click the "update product info" tab so that you can submit the correct information:

(It helps though if you can give a company URL with the correct dimensions. Amazon might not take your word for it, although yours WAS an "Amazon Verified Purchase", which might help.)

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 10:47:05 AM PDT
Pen Name ;-) says:
Dear Ms. Mcleod,

Thank you for your intelligent, thoughtful, interesting and, most of all, very helpful review. Thank you so much.

All the best to you, and may you never have a reason to need the fireproof or waterproof features of this product.

Posted on Aug 18, 2014 4:27:51 PM PDT
Noway says:
curious, do you really think Fire protection: 1550F, 30 minutes per ASTM E119 will save your data, and how does that translate to "fireproof"

I'd be suspicious of such claims. But hey they back it up with a guarantee.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›