3,352 of 3,441 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! Amazing!, March 28, 2008
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred (DVD)
I had never purchased a Jillian Michaels DVD before b/c of the hit or miss reviews. So when I heard raves about this one, I decided to give it a shot and I am so glad I did. This is an absolute butt-kicker workout. I am an intermediate/advanced exerciser (I work out 5-6 days a week) so I figured I could see what Level 1 was all about and move onto Level 2 right away. Listen to me folks--these workouts are HARD. Level 2 was VERY difficult--a good difficult though, very challenging. When Jillian tells you to start at level 1, listen to her she knows what she's doing. I've been at this for about 5 days, and I already feel a difference in my body.
Jillian is tough--absolutely NO rest in this workout (not even for a sip of water) but that's what makes it go by so quickly, and it makes your body change, according to Jillian. You're done before you know it--but by the end you've gotten a kick butt workout and feel like you've really done something. She bases her workout on the 3-2-1 method: 3 mins strength, 2 mins cardio, 1 min abs. Her strength circuits remind me of Jari Love--compound exercises that work the upper and lower body simultaneously. The cardio is good as well: a lot of jumping, so watch those knees (she has a modifier for beginner and lower impact) And the abs is straight up ab work--a variety of crunches and twists on the floor.
This is a great workout and I find Jillian to be tough but she's pretty likeable. Be warned though: she's no-nonsense. I think it's funny when during the stretch she admits she's not flexible and struggles to reach her legs on the floor. I thought "Ha, Ha, finally something I'm better at than Jillian!" lol
If you really want to get a good workout and to jumpstart your weight loss get this DVD you will not be disappointed. It's great for those who are short on time too and want to try something new; every workout is just under 30 mins!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 44 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 71 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 25, 2008 7:44:56 AM PDT
Excellent review. I am purchasing just because of you. Thanks. I like how you explained the 3-2-1 method. Glad there's abs in there because that is my challenge right now.

Posted on Jan 13, 2009 7:03:37 AM PST
You said exactly what I was going to say! I've been an avid runner (approx. 20 miles/week for the past 15 monthes) and a moderate weight trainer and I rented this from the library now that it's too icy to run outside and it kicked my butt! Wonderful video! I bought it soon after and am spending a couple of weeks with workout 1, I think! I haven't ever watched The Biggest Loser, but this is a great workout and I find Jillian friendly and motivating.

Posted on Jan 18, 2009 9:25:51 PM PST
This is a great reveiw! You have me hooked. I am looking for ways to add another quick workout to my daily schedule and this looks perfect. Thanks!

Posted on Feb 9, 2009 1:46:57 PM PST
A. Dixon says:
I have the DVD, just used it this weekend. Its comforting to know that an avid exerciser views it as hard, for I thought it was very hard and I actually got sick trying to do it...I learned that its not a jump out of bed type of workout! I'm going to give it another try because I feel there is no way I can't get results with it as tough as it is!

Posted on Feb 23, 2009 4:43:18 PM PST
nwmom says:
This video is great for obese people as well. I am obese and I am currently doing level 1. I love it!! The moves are basic but effective. I feel so awesome after the workout because it actually feels like I worked out....I mean I am sore! :) I am addicted to this DVD and actually look forward to doing it because I love how it makes my body feel.

Posted on Mar 26, 2009 6:21:56 PM PDT
Jinxy K. says:
Thank you for this detailed comment on this DVD. It is very good to hear from someone who is in "good shape". I am absolutely LOVING this workout and would have never said this had it not been for the results that I am already seeing (I think I'm on about the 6th or 7th workout). I am not in shape at all, but I just can't give up!! I am 5' 8" and weigh currently 207 pounds. But I know with this system I will be able to achieve (for the first time in my life.....I'm 47 years old) a weight loss goal. Time is so the attraction to this program!!! and if I can do those "daggone" jumping jacks.....anyone can!!! Thank you again for your comments!!

Posted on Apr 24, 2009 10:14:54 PM PDT
Can anyone tell me what props are needed for this workout? Weights? Balls? I'd appreciate any info. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2009 8:31:55 AM PDT
L. Arakelian says:
You need handweights (I use 5lb) and a mat if youre on a hard surface. Thats it!

Posted on May 9, 2009 6:25:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2009 6:27:10 AM PDT
mcel: EXCELLENT review! I have reviewed many workout DVDs myself and I like to both write and read thorough reviews...like this! Love the explanation of the 3-2-1 approach and the explanation of difficulty level. Good job!

For those who have done this workout, is it worth buying if you already have bad knees? I'm over 50 and starting to have pain in my right knee, so I have reduced my exercise intensity (I used to kickbox and do lunges, etc.)...this 30-Day Shred workout sounds good, but I don't want to get it if it is going to exacerbate my existing knee problems. Thanks for your feedback.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2009 7:26:11 PM PDT
mcel says:
Wow, I'm so glad to see my review has really motivated people to buy this DVD. With Jillian, most people love her or hate her. But I think the people that hate her are ones who haven't actually done her DVDs and have only seen her on "the Biggest Loser" because she is an absolute, no holds barred butt kicker!! She has kept me in the best shape of my life for the past 2 yrs. Everytime I get a little tired of her workouts I switch to something else--literally for like 2-3 days--but then I miss Jillian and her "take no prisoners" approach and find myself popping one of her DVDs in.

I'm so glad you guys have given this DVD a shot, there is really no other like it on the market!

Sheri--as far as bad/sensitive knees: like I said in my review, there are modifications for almost every exercise (except the most basic ones). As someone who from time to time has knee pain myself, I would purchase this DVD--the price is right--and go at your own pace. There are quite a few lunges, squats, butt kicks and hops, but you can always modify or even jog in place or jump rope when you get to an exercise you feel can't do. The only place I would exercise real caution is in level 3--she does some SERIOUS jumps here and it would be best if you proceed with caution!

Anymore questions, I'm always checking in, so ask away!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (5,015 customer reviews)
 (3,554)