3.0 out of 5 stars Motorola Roadster vs. Motorola T505, March 17, 2011
This review is from: Motorola Roadster Bluetooth In-Car Speakerphone - Retail Packaging (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I own the newer Motorola Roadster and the slightly older Motorola T505. So it made sense to do a head-to-head comparison to see which unit is better.

Design: Both units are compact. The Roadster's layout is somewhat more appealing to my eye. The Roadster's controls are labeled and easy to find. They are also illuminated. The T505's controls are not as well labeled or illuminated, but it is easy to use nonetheless.

The T505 has a reversible mounting clip, so it can work with cars like my Audi, which have sun visors that swing from front-to-rear rather than the usual rear-to-front. Roadster's mounting clip is not reversible, so I must mount it backwards in order to use it. Once the unit is mounted backwards, throw those easy-to-read labels and icons out the window. The T505 is made from plastic. So is the Roadster, but it also is partially covered by a nylon or poly cloth material that could prove to be less durable. While the Roadster features a more updated look, the lack of a reversible mounting clip gives a slight advantage to the T505, as the Roadster is hard to use when mounted backward.

Pairing. Both bluetooth units pair very easily, but the advantage goes to the Roadster, which announces that it is ready to pair and then does so quickly. Things couldn't be much easier then that. But the T505 is also easy to pair, just not quite as easy as Roadster. Also, the Roadster turns itself on when you enter the car, which is nice. The T505 must be turned on manually.

I paired both units with a newer Palm Pixi Plus and a slightly older Palm Treo 755p. While Roadster initially paired with this somewhat older 755p, after a couple of days it would no longer pair. I tried everything I could think of and got to pair eventually, but it later developed the same problem, dropping pairing and then refusing to pair. The T-505 paired and remained connected without issues. While the Roadster pairs easier than the T505, I had no issues with the T505 and I had several problems with Roadster's pairing. Advantage: T505.

Streaming Music: Both units can stream MP3s from your cell phone through your car stereo. When advancing from one track to the next, Roadster required me to hold down the advance button for much longer than I'd like to, creating a distraction while driving. A single touch on that key pauses the music but it must be held down for awhile to advance the track. I had to hold the button down to the point where it was annoying. Also, the advance takes longer than I'd like and is accompanied by a very loud beep and then a clicking sound. Also, with Roadster, I cannot revert to the previously played track. With the T505, I simply click on the right side button to advance and the left side button to go back. Changes from track to track only require a short touch, the change is immediate and it is not accompanied by the obnoxious beep tone or clicking noise. Advantage T505.

Speakerphone: The Roadster's built in speakerphone is louder and clearer than the T505's. If you are using the speakerphone and not streaming to FM stereo, the advantage goes to the Roadster.

Output to FM stereo: Both units have similar output strength to FM. It could be better but both units are much better than a Jabra unit that I tested earlier. I'd consider the output to FM on both units to be on the better side of acceptable. Roadster can select a specific FM frequency that you'd like for the unit to broadcast on each time. The T505 cannot do this. T505 will automatically scan for a frequency and you can select a preferred frequency, but it will generally select whatever it likes. I'd probably call this a draw, although I do prefer Roadster's frequency-selecting ability.

Call quality: I spoke with my mother on the Roadster first and then with the T505. I was driving a convertible with the top up. The car is not noisy but is slightly more so than a hardtop vehicle. The Roadster's microphone was so sensitive that it was picking up much of the background noise and forcing the duplex to me even when I wasn't speaking. That meant that I couldn't hear much of what mom said because Roadster picked up the road noise and shut off mom's conversation. The T505 didn't have this problem. Big advantage T505.

Incoming calls: When an incoming call arrives, both units announce the caller's name and number, if available. Roadster allows you to say "answer" or "ignore". With the T505, you simply tap the telephone icon to answer. Slight advantage Roadster.

Texting: It's my understanding that Roadster can read back texts and allow you to reply to them. I did not test this function, but assuming it works properly, it seems like that would be an attractive feature for someone who texts a lot. Advantage Roadster.

The Winner: Of the two units, I prefer the T505. It's less fussy than Roadster. While Roadster's pairing failed several times, the T505 was always rock solid. Music streaming track advances were much quicker and smoother on the T505. The microphone was way too sensitive on Roadster, although this might not be a problem for those with a very quiet car.

Both are decent units, but I'm using the T505 daily while Roadster sits in its box. Roadster isn't bad, but I can't give it more than 3 stars based on my experiences.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 17, 2011 5:44:30 AM PDT
awesome to the max!! wish all reviews were this good.

Posted on Sep 23, 2011 1:29:13 PM PDT
R. Silver says:
Having owned the T505 for a year, and recently 'upgrading' to the Roadster, I agree with almost everything in this review. Almost.

The main reason I own these units is to stream music from my Android phone through my car's FM stereo... and that's why the Roadster is going back. The T505 has vastly superior audio quality over FM.

The Roadster's FM modulation has a 'blown-out' quality to the audio. Remember cranking your boombox volume to ten, and the poor speakers hissed and moaned in protest? It sounds something like that. Reducing the volume on the mp3 player helps rectify this. I took my volume down to 40% before I got clean sound, but with the output volume that low, you have to then crank up your car stereo to hear over road noise, which introduces way too much FM static.

The T505, on the other hand... I can have the mp3 player's output volume up to 85% with no distortion. The result is sound that's as crisp and clean as any dedicated radio station on the dial.

In short, if you just want hands-free kit for your phone, get the Roadster. It's a pretty awesome device. If you care more about music over FM, get the T505.

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 12:20:58 AM PST
Angelcakes says:
Thanks for your informative review. Very helpful!

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 4:53:00 PM PST
Chevymom53 says:
What a great feedback I will order the T505

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 1:30:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2012 1:51:16 PM PST
R. Brandon says:
Nice informative review... just one minor quibble. If you're saying that the other party gets cutoff when the noise level in your car gets too high that indicates that the system doesn't have "duplex" capability. A duplex unit would allow the sound from your car to be transmitted to the other party without cutting them off, in effect allowing both sides of the conversation to happen at the same time like most telephones do. Lack of duplex is a problem with a lot of these units.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 3:43:12 PM PST
B.Willis says:
Understand your point. I guess what I'm saying is that the sensitivity seems perhaps too high for my tastes for a non-duplex unit.

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 6:24:50 AM PST
Since I have never owned a blue tooth speaker phone, I'm wondering if you can use it for the purpose of speaking directions when you have, say, a Navigation application operating on the phone? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 8:32:58 AM PST
B.Willis says:
Richard, I'm not really sure as I don't use it for that purpose. My best guess would be no, but I could be wrong, or else maybe yes on some phones and no on others. Again, I'm just speculating. Sorry.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 9:36:54 AM PST
It's okay. I went on Motorola's own site and posed the question. The long and the short is that the MAXX and the speaker phone communicate with each other via bluetooth and the phone will port over verbal traffic directions. Pretty cool!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 8:48:34 AM PST
B.Willis says:
Thank you for checking this out, Richard.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›