4.0 out of 5 stars Great deal overall, December 1, 2012
This review is from: Toshiba 50L2200U 50-Inch 120Hz LED-LCD HDTV (Black) (Electronics)
I upgraded from a budget Olevia 32" to this Toshiba TV. I'm not a videophile and I try really hard to spend 800 or below (typically below).

[Good]

HD Picture Quality: Pretty good, no complaints. Some people complain of blooming but I don't see it. Color seems to be better than non-LED lit LCDs.

Auto Sound Control: When there's no signal and just static, the sound will automatically mute. This is nice.

Price: For what you get, this is a good deal.

Optical Output: This is nice to have. I didn't have this before

Two HDMI Inputs: I only had one before and it just got annoying to keep switching it out. UPDATE: I'm not sure if there's an issue, but I can't always get HDMI from my computer working.

Headset Output: Great for watching TV and being quiet at the same time.

Reliability: Toshiba is pretty well known for not breaking down.

[Bad]

SD Picture Quality: This is just totally horrible and I'm not sure why. There are plenty artifacts and ghosting and it's just too annoying to watch. It was so bad that I thought the TV was broken. Yes, I've tried playing with all the settings available. This TV is part of Toshiba's budget line so some settings that higher end Toshiba models have, this TV does not have.

Customer Support: Toshiba's customer support is just really bad now. Three years ago it was fine and it was overall decent. Now you can't even get remote control replacement (it was missing from my package). In general they just don't seem to give a crap about anything, so if there's anything wrong - good luck. Yes, my TV was still in warranty. If reliability ever changes later on, I wouldn't touch this brand no matter what the price. I called three different times, speaking with three different customer reps. All of them were indifferent and none of them would do anything to help. Each referring me to the store where I bought the TV to solve the issue. That's a bit strange since stores solve the issue with me returning the whole TV set for a completely new one, which is something Toshiba doesn't want. Toshiba should fire all of them.

PC Input: I think it's time to stop having an VGA port and instead change it to a DVI port. I just don't see the point in these anymore since the PC can't detect the TV resolution when you're using a DVI to VGA converter. Pretty much every PC works on DVI now. Even budget TV cards are starting not to have VGA ports now.

Number of HDMI ports: Yes two is better than one, but three and four are also better than two.

[Misc]

60 Hz: I don't feel that this is a bad thing since pretty much every computer monitor from the cheapest no-name ones to the ultra pricey Apple and Dell monitors are only 60 Hz. I think 120 Hz is only useful for hockey and maybe tennis during serves. Other than that 120 Hz makes things look weird. Most TVs with 120 Hz have the capability to switch to 60 Hz so that should tell you something.

I got this TV below normal prices during Black Friday weekend, so this may affect my review.

[Add comment]