2.0 out of 5 stars Had to give up, October 25, 2005
This review is from: Goodnight Nobody: A Novel (Hardcover)
It pains me to say I didn't like a Jennifer Weiner novel, and it will probably get me a bunch of unhelpful votes, but so be it. I loved her first 3 books, saw her movie, and got my copy of Little Earthquakes autographed by her at a reading. So you can see, I'm a fan.

But that wasn't enough to get me through Goodnight Nobody. There are spots of bright dialogue, but the overall effect is "phoned in." The characters aren't memorable or well-developed; I didn't care about them. The protagonist, Kate Klein, is the usual Weiner "stand-in" and somewhat more developed than the other characters.

So if Kate were the main focus of the novel, it might have worked out. But no, the main focus of the novel is the dead Kitty Cavanaugh. This is problematic because we barely get to know Kitty, and since Kate writes her off as a "perfect suburban mom," we're not terribly interested either.

So there's nothing to keep you reading, unless an occasional nugget of funny dialogue is enough motivation to plow through over 300 pages. For me, it's not.

I hope her next book is chick lit, not a mystery. I am grateful that I got this one from the library.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 27, 2007 8:57:45 AM PDT
Teri Bossard says:
I completely agree. I also want to add that the final ending seemed too trite. It was almost as though Jennifer was told not to exceed X number of pages, and spent too much time on the middle. By the time she got to the last few pages, she pretty much had to wrap it up in three pages by throwing in a completely random, short ending.

Posted on Jun 4, 2008 2:01:24 PM PDT
Min says:
Don't worry about "nonhelpful" votes. They actually don't count in your ranking. I was one of the first customers at Amazon. I've been collecting votes for over a decade. :)

Posted on Feb 10, 2009 1:02:30 PM PST
You are lucky. I loved all Jen Weiner's other books, just like you, which I got through bookcrossing, trades and swaps so felt it was safe to buy this book new when it was just published. I hated it and ended up releasing it through bookcrossing unread.
Hope her new book is chick lit again.
Great review!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.3 out of 5 stars (266 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $0.01