Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden UP3 $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Learn more

4.0 out of 5 stars Improves upon Plantronics BackBeat & Motorola S9, October 31, 2011
This review is from: Jabra SPORT Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Black/Yellow (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been switching back and forth between Plantronics BackBeat and Motorola S9 for a couple years now. But lately, I find that my BackBeats don't fit as well as they used to, so I've been reaching for my S9 more and more. Only problem is, I'm really not all that fond of the wraparound band on the S9 since it makes it impossible to rest your head back and listen to music. Also, that band often hits the back of my wheelchair headrest and often pops off my head. So it's been on my mind that I may be in the market for a new stereo headset.

Enter Jabra Sport

The first thing I noticed about these headphones is the wire connecting the left and right earbuds -- it's very pliable and flexible. By contrast, the wire on my BackBeats is much thicker and stiffer, and does not bend as freely as the wire on this Jabra. The wire on this Jabra Sport is thin, pliable and much more comfortable to wear, be it during activity, or kicking back just to enjoy some tunes.

Easier Controls

Another plus for these Jabras over the BackBeats and S9, is that all the controls are located on the right earbud only. This is a huge improvement. To this day, I still find myself fumbling to remember which ear does what with my other 2 headsets; is left for volume and right for track skip? Or is it the other way around? It gets especially confusing the more I switch between the BackBeats and the S9. But thanks to the streamlined button layout on the Jabra Sport, that won't be an issue.

No Huge Glowing LEDs -- Yay!

It's a pet peeve of mine -- I hate huge glowing LEDs that scream "look at me, I'm wearing a bluetooth headset!" Thankfully, Jabra had the smarts to just put a small, understated LED on this one; about the size of a pinhole, which is plenty big for a glowing LED. I know this may not be a big plus to most people, but it is to me.

Sound Quality

These sound really great to me; on par with my BackBeats and S9. In fact, these Jabras seem a bit richer in sound. They go pretty loud, but I always find myself wishing all my headsets could go 2 or 3 decibels louder than they do. Either I'm going deaf, or I just like my music loud. But that seems to be an issue across the board for all the headsets I've tried, so I often boost my MP3s manually a few notches to hit the volume I like.

Good Fit

I did have to play around with the 3 different sized ear gels to get the fit I want, but it didn't take long and these Jabras actually fit me best over my other 2 headsets.

Short Charging Cord

This seems to be a Jabra thing, because I have a regular bluetooth headset of theirs too just for calls, and the cord on that charger is literally 3 inches! They've upped the ante on this one and given us a whopping 7 or 8 inches of cord, but still much too short. Not sure why they're doing this, but it's definitely a running theme with Jabra. The good news is, these use a standard micro USB charger, so I'll be using one of my better, long corded chargers with these.

Built In FM Radio

I don't listen to the radio much anymore, but I really thought this was a neat feature and like knowing it's there. Just don't expect tuning to be very easy because there's no display or preset channels. But it's still a nice touch.

Simple Paring -- 30 seconds tops

Great User Manual -- brief and to the point, with an excellent layout that enables you to read descriptions and turn pages while still having a numbered diagram of the headset visible. Perfect!

Bluetooth Signal

I'm convinced that environmental variables, and device capability play a huge factor in different user's experiences with bluetooth connection; some cell phones are better than others, and some environments more problematic than others. For me, the bluetooth connection on these Jabras is on par with all my other headsets. Yes, I get the occasional dropout, but no better or worse than any other headset I own. IMO, there's nothing more reliable, or rock-solid, than an actual wired connection, no matter if it's bluetooth headsets, wireless speakers, wireless HDMI, or cordless phones; just my opinion.

Terrible Packaging -- be prepared to burn some calories just getting this headset unboxed! Terrible! Definitely NOT frustration free.

Call quality -- is decent; no better or worse than any of my other headsets.

Connect to 2 Devices at the same time -- huge bonus! Mine is paired to my cell phone and my Toshiba Thrive tablet. Yay!

Bottom Line -- I really like this Jabra Sport and fully expect to use them as my new go-to headset over my BackBeats and S9. But I gotta dock 1 star for the terrible packaging and the ridiculously short charging cord; yes, it's that inconvenient. Otherwise, these are pretty great and I like the look and feel.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 31, 2011 12:54:37 PM PDT
Joseph says:
Nice review, thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2011 1:21:24 PM PDT
Kaio says:
You're very welcome, Joseph. Glad the review helped you in some way. All the best to you; take care. ;oD

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 6:11:05 PM PST
Kaio~! Stunning review, thnx for the extra time/info.. I also have the Backbeats, just got them for Christmas, NOT fond of them at All... too big of ear pieces for me, and the "pause/bass" right ear piece button does NOT work at all.. having to return them, probably for a refund.... and a pair of Jabras~!

Merry Christmas~!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2011 8:50:53 PM PST
Kaio says:
Thanks, Todd -- I think you'll definitely like these over the Backbeats. I liked those at first, but lost my taste for them over time. These Jabras are much nicer and easier to use. All the best to you and Happy Holidays & Happy 2012 too! ;oD
Kaio

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 5:20:13 AM PST
Very Nice review. I have the Motorola S9 and though i love the quality of the sound, the wrap around design kills me. You cannot use these while you are laying on the couch, doing bench press, and they are very easily damaged, presumably by sweat. I think i am going to give these a try. Thanks!

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 6:41:08 AM PST
N22Tango says:
Thanks for the great review here. I have a bad case of tinnitus and I have a sound program on my iPhone that provides relief from my malady... I've been looking at buying a bluetooth headset that would free from the wire and this looks like it will work for me.. Many times, the tinnitus is so bad, if I try an take a nap in my recliner, I can't get to sleep unless I have the masking audio from the iPhone, but the headset cord going to the iPhone is nearly like wearing a lap belt in a car, while parked at Sonic....
I'll probably buy one of these through Amazon based on your review.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2012 11:03:36 AM PST
Kaio says:
Hello there, R. Brooks -- Glad you found the review helpful. I've had tinnitus before, but not to the level that you've described. Definitely NOT fun; I feel for you, I do. This headset should work out pretty well for you. It stays in my ears nicely, and that pliable cable makes a huge difference, compared to all the other stereo Blutooth headsets I've tried. Definitely once you get used to the freedom of blutooth, having a corded headset feels like being on a short leash. Have you ever tried those sound machines that create ocean waves or raindrops? Would that help your tinnitus? Also maybe do a search for binaural frequency apps, the rhythmic humming and brainwave frequencies it creates might also be helpful. Best of luck to you. Thanks again; take care. ;oD
Kaio

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2012 11:21:10 AM PST
N22Tango says:
I was a machine-gunner in Vietnam and that wrecked my ears resulting in the tinnitus... About 7 years ago I went to the Callier Tinnitus/Hyprcrusis Clinic at UT Dallas... It was a Godsend... I have a special pair of hearing aids that generate white sound that "re-trains" the brain to tune out the tinnitus. I find if it is really quite during the day when I snooze, the tinnitus is a bit troublesome. I downloaded a couple of apps to my iPhone that are very good for masking the tinnitus, and thus my reason to look into bluetooth headsests.

Thanks and good luck to you.

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 7:26:50 PM PST
Cheryl says:
Very detailed review. Thank you

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 5:34:01 PM PST
Larry Jansen says:
Question I have is are they water (sweat) resistant?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›