Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

4.0 out of 5 stars Super easy installation, great protection, June 16, 2011
This review is from: iPearl mCover Hard Shell Case with FREE keyboard cover for Model A1278 13-inch Regular display Aluminum Unibody MacBook Pro - BLACK (Personal Computers)
Length:: 4:49 Mins

UPDATE: 9/4/2012 - I have had several purchasers of this case let me know that their case fit their MacBook Pro very loosely. It was hard for me to believe because all three of my mCover cases fit snugly and perfectly. Then I had to get one of my bottom pieces replaced by iPearl and the piece they sent me was loose! It was so loose that the tabs on the front right and front left of the bottom case barely touched the sidews/top of the MacBook Pro. Now I see what the others were complaining about and it makes me wonder whether I was just lucky the first three times. So there may be a quality control issue going on with these cases now. It puts me in a difficult spot because I thought so highly of these cases and now I'm wondering if I can continue to rate them so highly. for now I am going to reduce my rating from 5 stars to 4 stars. I'll update my review again if need be.

What follows is my original review, before I became aware of the looseness issue that some people are reporting.

---------

I looked at a lot of cases for my MacBook Pro before choosing the iPearl mCover Hard Shell Case. It seems that the company has listened to all the issues that were apparently present in earlier incarnations of this case and have brought it to the level where it is today.

I love this case. It was super easy to install and is just as easy to remove from the MacBook Pro if you need to for any reason. Installation is a simple matter of placing the bottom cover on a table, grabbing your MacBook Pro and placing the back end of the MacBook into the case first, then slowly lower the front into the case and gently press the left and right corners of the MacBook down into the case until you hear the tabs "click" into place. Then ensure the back corners are secure. Next, just place the top part of the case over the MacBook lid and again simply push gently on all four corners until you hear the tabs click into place. That's it. In the video I mention clicking in the back corners of the case on the MacBook Pro, actually the clips on the back of the case are on the backside where the airvent is along the back edge of the MacBook Pro... that's why you tip the back of the MacBook Pro into the case first so that it catches those clips.

This version of the case has a matte finish which eliminates the issue of fingerprints and smudges while diminishing the appearance of any minor scratches on the plastic. The Apple logo just barely shines through the Black case but that's OK with me. I think the lighter colored cases would display the logo more brightly then the Black case did. Personal preference I guess. I like the Black case since the bezel around the LCD is black, it just seemed to compliment that.

The feet on the bottom case will raise the MacBook about a 1/2 inch which keeps the laptop cooler since air can circulate easily underneath the MacBook, and the bottom cover has lots of vent slots and cutouts to facilitate cooling as well..

It's a great case and a terrific bargain. I'm tempted to get another color in addition to the Black because I can afford to at this price and a little variety might be nice. I believe this hard shell case compares very favorably with cases that cost two to three times as much. And the company seems responsive and eager to please.

I read somewhere that someone was complaining about the slight "bowing" of the top piece so that it does not actually touch the MacBook case uniformly. It is true that the top piece of the hard shell case has a very slight bowing once it has been installed so that it is not touching the aluminum top in the middle where the Apple logo is. You can press down on the case where the logo area is and it will move down a few millimeters until it touches the aluminum. As far as I'm concerned, this is a non-issue. It does not affect my ability to carry my MacBook Pro in any way... it does not cause the top to pop-off the MacBook when pressed so it's nothing to be concerned about.

PROS:
Lightweight and fits MacBook Pro perfectly
Matte finish resists fingerprints really well
Retractable "feet" raise back of MacBook for easier typing position and to facilitate air-flow under MacBook Pro
Ports are all accessible, even Magsafe connector is unimpeded
Screen can be fully opened with no restriction caused by hard shell case.
Case is easy to remove if needed
The price is right!

CONS:
The foot pads may inadvertently get pried out if you're not careful putting this in and out of a bag or pack.
The back retractable feet are a bit fragile so be careful with them.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 20, 2011 3:43:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 20, 2011 3:44:03 PM PDT
does yours have the engraved square window to show Apple logo?
I really dont like that square window. I hope the one that I will receive won't have it.
and by the way, thanks for this review. it's very helpful

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2011 9:26:31 PM PDT
M. Erb says:
No. There is no "engraved" window. You'd see it in the video if there were one. I love this case. It's great.

Posted on Oct 4, 2011 9:10:48 PM PDT
Vanessa Reed says:
Thanks for the amazing review!!! I am a college student and often carry my macbook pro in my bag.I was wondering if you had any experience with this case carrying it a messanger bag ?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 7:59:17 AM PDT
M. Erb says:
@Vanessa I carry my MacBook Pro with the iPearl case all the time in my bag. I have both a sleeve that I sometimes use, otherwise it's just slid into my bag and I haven't had any issues. What were you worried about?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 9:25:11 AM PDT
Vanessa Reed says:
I previously had a cover that left an indent on the screen. The screen had a white circular area. Initially I thought it was simply that the screen was broken but when I took it into Apple they informed me that it was due to the cover I was using. However since you haven't had any issues of that nature-I think I will go ahead and purchase this.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 9:43:23 AM PDT
M. Erb says:
@Vanessa This cover does not touch the screen at all. It is entirely clipped on the aluminum casing of the MacBook. It is not possible that this cover could affect your screen in any way.

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 12:23:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2011 12:27:29 PM PST
Dave says:
I have been debating how to protect my macbook pro and I decided to purchase the $40 incase sleeve. I would like to get a case as well and have a question about this particular one you own. Have you noticed the fans having to run any harder thus decreasing your battery life due to this case? Thanks, and appreciate the video it was useful.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2011 12:53:31 PM PST
M. Erb says:
@Dave Fans are not running any more than without the case. The black case doesn't let much light from the logo through, but it does go through a little. Blue lets a lot of the color through as would most of the lighter color cases.

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 6:14:49 PM PST
I have a macbook pro 13inch but idk if my computer is that A1278 model. How would I find out what mine is?

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 7:19:00 PM PST
Al Leibman says:
Very helpful and friendly review. Thanks!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›