5.0 out of 5 stars Great for spices too!, November 13, 2007
This review is from: Mr. Coffee IDS77 Electric Coffee Grinder with Chamber Maid Cleaning System, Black (Kitchen)
I bought this product after looking at reviews of other products. I chiefly wanted it to grind spices, but was wary because it was not listed as a 'spice grinder'

Not only does it perform quite well on spices, the fact that its an easy clean means you can switch back and forth between spices and coffee quite easily.

1) Every spice I put into the machine came out adequately. It has three settings, so you can have a course, medium or fine grind. The fine isn't magnificent, but if you put it in a bag and sold it, I doubt anyone would notice.

Thus far, I have ground chiles, seeds and even fresh lemongrass. I got the results I wanted each time.

2) It also grinds coffee well. Put the beans in, hit the button, and it looks like the stuff you buy at the store. I don't know if I would call it really produces esspresso-grade grinds, but I have gotten my regular coffee buzz every morning.

3) This is the biggest selling point. IT IS FRIGGIN EASY TO CLEAN! It has a detatchable grinding cup and dishwasher-safe lid. But seriously, you don't even need to go that far. Since the cup is stainless-steel, and since it has this plastic rig that lets you sweep loose grinds, all you need is a small-cicular brush and hot water to get it clean.

The time? About 15-20 seconds. No leftover grinds.

Because of this, you can grind multiple fresh spices rather quickly without worry of cross-contimnation. I can also say with confidence that I have had no fennel-tasting coffee. The fact that it is so easy to clean makes it versatile.

Is it loud? I guess. And you may have to grind more than once to get a desired texture.

But the fact that it does what I want it to do and cleans easily makes it worth it.

[Add comment]