5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Compacts for the Price, August 25, 2010
This review is from: Nikon 8218 Trailblazer 10X25 Hunting Binoculars (Electronics)
These have a bak 4 roof prism, and I've read that porro prisms provide a better picture on most binoculars under $200, BUT Nikon has once again proven that they are not going to put their name on substandard equipment.

I always take these binoculars on outings and to plays (Best of Broadway). The image is excellent. I get cheap tickets and sit in the very back of a dark theater, and I have no problem seeing the performers' faces. Before purchase, I was concerned with the small 2.5mm exit pupil in the dark, but it is not a problem for my 30-year old eyes. I've used them at night while camping, and they work fine. The image is slightly darker but detailed, and that is to be expected with small exit pupils.

One of the great novelties of owning the 10 x 25 Trailblazer ATBs is that I can wear it discretely on my belt in its case without attracting attention.
The construction of the tubes is solid (rubber over metal). The right tube has a little more resistance to folding out that the left tube does. The bridge in the middle is hollow plastic but sturdy, and the center focus knob has about 1/8" play before engaging. These short comings are lost in the benefits of use.

Someone broke into my car and stole these binoculars, but managed to drop them under a neighbor's bush. They were watered by the sprinklers for a few days before being found. I washed them off with warm soapy water, and they are as good as ever. I decided to buy another pair of the same binoculars before the old ones were found, because the quality for the price are unmatched. My wife tells me "you love those binoculars, don't you?" Yes I do.

Update----------------------------------------------------------------------

The little control arm broke apart in the track that moves the aperture in and out of focus. It was a wake up call for me. The optics are great, but the mechanics have left me wanting. Prior to breaking, the affected tube gave a good deal of resistance folding out. Now I have two monoculars.

[Add comment]