5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch for this price range, June 1, 2014
This review is from: Invicta Men's 9094OB "Pro Diver" Stainless Steel Automatic Watch (Watch)
I wrote a rather scathing 3 star review for this watch's more popular twin, the 8926OB. I must point out that I purchased my 8926OB ten years ago, and while I stand by my review of that watch, the newer Invicta Automatic watches have a much nicer movement, the Seiko NH35A. Unlike the older Miyota movements, the NH35A has a "hack" feature, meaning, the hands stop turning when you pull the stem to its complete outer position. This allows you to set the watch to an exact time, and makes it very easy to determine how fast or slow your watch is running.

About a month ago (Late April 2014) I got my 9094OB with the coined bezel, and also an Invicta 5053 Pro Diver with scalloped bezel. Both are good, inexpensive mechanical watches, and both keep very good time for a mechanical watch. On my wrist, each will lose about 6 seconds per day, but if I leave them on a watch winder all day they both run right about even, or perhaps gain about 2 seconds per day. For a low priced mechanical watch, this is VERY good out-of-the box repeatability. The watch will gain or lose time differently with the position it is in, so your watch may drift a bit in either direction depending on how you wear it. If you've only had quartz watches before, and are new to mechanical watches, REMEMBER, this watch is NOT powered by a battery, it is powered by a spring that is kept wound by either the movement of your wrist or by winding the stem. If you have several watches and like to wear a different one each day, I strongly suggest that you keep your mechanical watches wound and running at all times so that the fine lubricants in the movement do no settle and gum up your watch.

Every mechanical watch will need to be disassembled, cleaned, and lubricated every 3 to 5 years. This requires the services of a highly skilled watchmaker and those services are NOT cheap. You will find that this watch is so inexpensive that it will be cheaper to replace the entire watch, or perhaps just the movement, than it will be to pay a watchmaker to overhaul the movement.

The case, crown, bezel and bracelet are all made from stainless steel. The bracelet is fairly large; I have 7.5" wrists and I needed to remove three links for a secure fit. This is easy with the inexpensive tools available on Amazon, or, of course, your jeweler will do it for a small fee. My only criticism of the band is that the clasp appears to be more cheaply made than on my ten year old 8926OB. Still, it is secure enough and is fine for what you'll pay for this watch.

Many people complain that the bezels are difficult to turn. My coin-edged bezel on the 9094OB turns with minimum effort and is still quite secure. The scalloped bezel on the 5053 Pro Diver does not turn easily at all, especially if your fingers are the least bit wet or oily. The coin edge bezel in my opinion is superior in both looks and functionality.

My 9094OB sets and winds very smoothly. The screw down crown feels secure. CAVEAT EMPTOR - - the screw down crown may wear over time and no longer screw down. This happened after several years to my 8926OB and it cost $50 to replace the crown. This is an excellent argument for you to spend $55 or so on an inexpensive Diplomat watch winder to keep your watch running while it is not on your wrist. Yes, you can easily hand wind this watch, but you are exercising and applying wear to the screw down crown.

The purpose of a screw down crown of course is to add water tight integrity to the watch for diving purposes. The Invicta "Pro Diver" watches are usually rated to 300 meters, or 660 feet. Well, all I have to say about THAT is that this is a static test that does not reflect how the watch will perform as you are moving, and I am not at all sure that I would trust my life to an 80 dollar watch if I was going to do any serious diving. Please remember that the water tight integrity goes out the window the first time you unscrew the case-back also. It MAY work just fine for diving, but personally I would spend more money on a dive watch and pay to keep it well serviced with good seals.

This watch has a very coarse regulating arm, meaning that even a patient watchmaker with the right timing equipment will have a hard time regulating this watch to extreme accuracy. To that, I say "So what." No mechanical watch will ever keep time as well as quartz watch. It WILL keep time quite well enough for everyday use though. If you are at all handy, you can do what I did with my old 8926OB. I bought a watch case wrench, took the back off the watch, and being VERY careful NOT to let ANY dust, debris or crud into the watch, being VERY careful NOT to touch the balance wheel or hairspring, and being VERY patient, I used a wooden match stick to move the regulating arm around until the old watch was keeping time to within a few seconds a day. DO NOT TRY THIS UNLESS YOU ARE REASONABLY SKILLED WITH SMALL MECHANICAL PARTS AND EXTREMELY PATIENT. You can ruin your watch VERY easily if you are not careful. There are a number of excellent videos on YouTube that show how you can do this yourself, saving the cost of a watchmaker doing it for you.

One last caveat is that my old Invicta 8926OB several times literally fell off my wrist as the watch aged; the pins holding the bracelet together slipped out. This is annoying and can result in loss or damage. I reassembled the loose pins with Loctite. For this reason, I cannot recommend the Invictas with metal bracelets as heavy-duty outdoor watches. It may LOOK like a Rolex Submariner, but it is NOT constructed like one.

Having said all that negative stuff, I'd still buy another one of these in a heartbeat. It is a handsome, serviceable watch that keeps reasonably good time, and you'll never have to worry about your watch battery dying on you when you're out and about.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]