Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game but needs some polish, November 5, 2012
This review is from: Rocksmith Guitar And Bass (Video Game)
This is the first musical game where you can hear yourself playing and that is just great! You'll notice that right away - if you play a false tone or bend the string awkwardly, that's what you'll hear from your speakers. That alone is worth your money. I never had so much fun playing a guitar on any other game because no other game gave me that much satisfaction upon playing the songs right.

Another part of the fun is the selection of the songs and the riffs the game throws at you in the 'journey' mode. For me, it was just the right difficulty (I can play chords but I'm no guitar prodigy) and the game keeps on challenging me.

The fretboard interface seems to be an issue for a lot of reviewers as it's not a standard tabulature as is the case in RockBand Pro. However, I don't think it's that bad - I think it's a lot more intuitive because it lets you visually see the distances between the frets you are supposed to play instead of just throwing numbers at you. I noticed I can do a lot more without looking at my guitar's fretboard than when I'm playing things off of a tabulature. The only problem is with the color coding of the strings - it confuses the hell out of me and I'm not even color-blind. They could have put a little cue in the 'gems' - like the string tone (EADGBe) or a string number.

It would have been interesting if there were two modes for the interface - the Rocksmith mode and a tabulature mode - where everybody could chose what they like (I would probably stick with the Rocksmith one).

The menu navigation on the other hand is unnecessarily confusing and lacks some options (like how do you select multiple sections of the songs in the practise mode). Thankfully, this is not a very important part of the game.

Also there are some issues with actual playing - first off, there is a slight delay between you striking the string and the game playing the tone back at you. I suppose it's about 1/10 - 2/10 of a second - just barely long enough for you to notice. It throws me off sometimes. The game is also not always perfect on recognizing your chords - it's mostly noticeable in the 'stop until you play it right' mode where a couple of times the game stopped while I was playing the right chord and then resumed without me changing anything in my fingering.

There are some things that people complain about that are probably not the game's fault - for example be sure to set the tone knobs on your guitar right - I had my treble volume down and the game could not recognize my thin strings because of that. Also be sure your picups are high enough if you have a new guitar. I also had problems playing an old cheap guitar of mine with the game - the neck is a bit twisted and so the higher frets don't sound right (even though open strings are in tune). The game would not recognize those out of tune tones.

I hope they will solve the issues in a Rocksmith 2 - the one I mentioned above plus some visual blemishes that I don't really care about (the 2D audience etc) but all in all I recommend this game to any enthusiast. It will teach you some skills for sure - chords, techniques and your way around the fretboard without looking. It will not teach you to play songs by itself because it's too forgiving for timing inaccuracies. But if you keep playing your guitar outside of the game, you'll get that on your own.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]