5.0 out of 5 stars Ethical online marketing, September 27, 2011
This review is from: Free Marketing: 101 Low and No-Cost Ways to Grow Your Business, Online and Off (Hardcover)
The word that came to mind most often when I was reading Jim's book was "ethical". He presents a vast array of ideas and practical solutions to successfully doing business online, in a way that I have never seen. There is no high-pressure "go get-em" sales techiques. Just lots and lots of very do-able methods, all at low or no cost, that simply work. And, unlike some other techniques that are promoted online, you won't feel like you are doing something a little bit naughty.

Too often I have found that people simply expect to be conned. For example, I have my own schedule available online, and I block out times for "my time off". I once actually had someone complain about this, because they considered it was not the "right" thing to do to say that I was taking time off. They said instead that I should have said I was in training or in a conference or something.

But that type of honesty is exactly what Jim is encouraging us to have. He tells us to be open and honest with our potential customers. He tells us to be generous with our time and our knowledge. He shows us how important it is to have an amazing reputation for being an expert, and a nice person too, and he tells us exactly how to go about achieving that.

I have "known" Jim through Facebook for a while now, and so I know he is a family man, and a Christian. While I am not going to say that it is important to be religious to succeed in online business, I will say that Jim has obviously listened very carefully to his mentors, and to his own conscience. This book is full of lessons not only for selling online, but for doing business ethically in general.

He starts the book with an excellent checklist of action steps, then goes into great detail of exactly how to achieve each one. I certainly will be referring back to that list often, to see whether my own sites, and those I build for clients, tick lots of those boxes.

In short, Jim's book is definitely recommended reading for anyone who wants to succeed in business online, and wants to protect their own business and personal reputation as they do so. It is great to see that it is possible to succeed in online business, and not have any sort of guilty feeling that you are doing something you shouldn't.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]