5.0 out of 5 stars Works, December 15, 2009
This review is from: Logitech M305 Wireless Mouse (Silver) (Personal Computers)
I actually bought this elsewhere, got a nice price on it. I would never consider a long-receiver USB-type wireless mouse for a laptop. I can just see them getting hooked and broken over and over, so it was important to have a tiny receiver like this. I admit I've not tested the range. I have not tested the battery life (only a few days old). However, this thing's receiver is awesome; I know it will not break due to its small stature.

The mouse itself was found fine on Windows Start 7 and also XP Home edition on two computers. It's a bit more sensitive than my older USB plug in mouse so I pulled down the pointer speed in control panel.

I generally dislike mouses/mice (?) of this shape as it is stub-nosed and quite tall. That is my main complaint about it but I knew that going in so I cannot ding it a star and it is otherwise a large enough mouse not to frustrate my hands--it is not a tiny, pitiful "laptop"-sized mouse.

It has a button on the bottom to turn it off. If left on the red tracking light underneath is constantly shining, but I intend never to turn it off as I think that light pulls very little power (I hope) and it ensures quick wake ups. Wakeup time is about a second if the mouse has been left for a while--this won't bother you. Responsively it seems fine. I've not tried it with gaming. I hear that USB-based wireless mouses are a touch faster than bluetooth, for what it's worth.

It takes a single AA battery (comes with a duracell), which means replacements should be most readily available and an AA vs AAA or 2XAAA ensures decent battery life without spending any kind of real money on battery replacements. I imagine it would work with a rechargeable nimh but I have not tried it.

As I will use this mouse every day, if I do not come in to update this review in the future you can rest assured that I either got run over by a truck or the mouse continues to work as stated.

EDIT: Feb 9/10. The battery died on this a couple of days go, so with pretty regular use (3-4 hours/day) and never turning the thing off it got about 6 weeks, which I think is certainly acceptable.

EDIT: Apr 24/2012. Decided to accurately test battery life in this mouse. I just replaced the battery today and it had been installed (Rayovac, new alkaline) on Jan 28/2012, so that's pretty much right on 90 days in a fairly heavily used laptop in the kitchen.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 7, 2010 11:35:31 PM PST
It's actually supposed to turn itself off if not used for a while, so it saves on battery power; but it seems like this model doesn't want to do that even though the packaging claimed it would.

I also had no luck installing the setpoint software with this mouse.

Posted on Oct 28, 2010 12:36:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2010 12:48:00 AM PDT
Matt says:
And i'm not sure if a have a newer/older model (mine uses two AA-batteries rather than one, which i don't mind since i've used mine MUCH more than 4hours x 6weeks and the batteries have yet to die) but there is no "red tracking light." I don't want people to confuse this with more common optical mice on the market. This mouse, instead of an obnoxiously bright red light on the bottom, uses an invisible laser to track movement. For obvious reasons this feature makes this mouse much more valuable, in addition to the tiny nano receiver and small, durable design.

And to reply to the other comment on this post: personally i avoided installing the Setpoint software at all costs, seeing it as nothing more than bloatware. That was until one day i lost all functionality in my mouse and for whatever reason was forced to install it. I haven't bothered removing it since, though, because i've set up the trackball so that pushing it to the left will make my browser window go back, something that has turned out surprisingly useful.

In case i have not made it clear, i too highly recommend this mouse and give it 5 full stars. Will be buying a third if my mom decides to steal my current one like she did my first. ;)

UPDATE: It turns out, i actually am using a different model. This mouse is the M305, and the one that i am using and speaking of is the Logitech Wireless Mouse M505 (Black). It's about $10 more expensive, but i NO DOUBT feel it is worth the added expense.

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 6:00:39 PM PDT
Having to replace the batteries in a mouse every six weeks is not even remotely acceptable, no matter much much you were using it. Hopefully, this just means you received a mouse with a battery that was almost dead. If you put new batteries in that mouse and they were drained in six weeks, then this thing is complete dud, which no one in their right mind would consider purchasing.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2011 5:14:54 AM PDT
I guess I am honestly just not quite sure how often I change them. It may be only every few months. With the price of AA batteries almost nil these days and the fact I happen to keep them above where our laptop is it's really no big deal. I am still using the mouse. My only complaint really is that it "times out" very quickly. When it times out (goes to sleep by itself) and the mouse is first moved it doesn't react for a small fraction of a second (it is less than a second). This only happens if you put it down while reading a long page or something. I consider myself quite demanding of consumer products and not tolerant of shenanigans but I don't feel this small pause is enough to warrant dinging of a star, though.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2011 11:16:04 AM PDT
R Stevens says:
Do you have a lot of mouses? I see your exact post on many logitech wireless mouses. Maybe Amazon is sharing your post?

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2011 3:45:21 PM PDT
R. Stevens, I don't. If I have posted to multiple mouses it was unintentional and I don't think I did. Perhaps Amazon is sharing this among similar models (i.e. color differences) but essentially the same item? I googled this and the review is mirrored to other colors, so that must be it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2011 5:31:17 PM PDT
R Stevens says:
ok, I noticed after I responded to you that the date and everything was the same. Shame on Amazon though because one mouse may not be as good or better than the one the review was intended for.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2011 6:53:07 PM PDT
On the other hand I think that for other products I sometimes have manually copied a review over for something so subtle a difference like color, so it does kind of make sense, that is assuming it's only color :)

Posted on May 12, 2011 8:12:34 PM PDT
R Stevens says:
For my last wireless mouse I bought rechargable batteries so I could save on battery costs (since wireless mouses do seem to die fast, just like all the digi toys). I bought a set that included 4 batteries and a charger. I've had this set for about 3 years now. Works like a charm.

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 6:25:55 PM PDT
Highstream says:
The M505 is supposed to get 15 months of battery use, per specs.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (2,652 customer reviews)
 (2,064)