5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, April 11, 2008
This review is from: 3M TEKK WorkTunes Hearing Protector, MP3 Compatible with AM/FM Tuner (Tools & Home Improvement)
I tune and rebuild pianos as a hobby, so you can imagine how much I value my hearing. I never even swing a hammer without hearing protection, so I have a pair of earmuffs on pretty much all the time while in the shop.

Of course, I also love music. Since I got the Worktunes headphones, I can listen to my music clearly without having to blast it over the sounds of power equipment.

Pros: Digital tuning. Memory presets. Lasts 2 solid days on AA batteries when listening to the radio. Pretty durable. Great reception in rural areas (as good as can be expected from an antenna of this size). Speaker sound quality and dynamic range from an external MP3 player is excellent - much better than I expected.

Cons: In cities and areas of strong signals, the receiver frontend saturates easily and you will hear several stations poorly at once (intermodulation). This is a common problem for many simple FM receivers.

The volume knob doesn't function for the MP3 input... it would be nice if I could change the volume of my music without fidgeting with the MP3 player. This also means that the MP3 input bypasses the amplification circuitry. The power for sound comes from your tiny MP3 player's battery rather than the cheap robust AA batteries in the headphones. That was poor engineering, as it would have been very easy to pipe in the input through the audio amp - sparing the tiny MP3 battery and utilizing the volume knob. In fact, I will modify the input in this manner very soon.

With the radio and the noise reduction, you really can't hear a darn thing that is going on. That could be good and bad. Someone could be robbing your shop in a bulldozer and you'd never know it. Two people have already snuck up on me while wearing these. Be aware of your security. I would not recommend using these while working in a bad neighborhood, or in a situation where a partner will be depending on you to hear screams for help.

Summary: For the price, don't expect anything perfect. The radio problem is minor and common. The noise reduction is excellent. This product exceeded my expectations. If I break these, I will gladly buy another pair. I don't know how I lived without them!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 17, 2010 12:13:31 PM PDT
Would like to know how comfortable they are.

Posted on Apr 23, 2011 9:57:12 AM PDT
Al B. says:
Great review -- very detailed and useful.

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 8:11:34 AM PST
SEM says:
I appreciate your mentioning the volume knob not working with the MP3 input. That's a deal-breaker for me. Good review.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 5:42:03 AM PDT
honkerdown says:
Very comfortable. I have been using "ear muffs" for years when operating yard & shop equipment, and these are some of the most comfortable I have ever had.

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 10:16:50 AM PDT
If you end up modifying these in the manner you've mentioned to utilize the amp for the mp3 player, it would be really cool if you took photos of that process and posted some instructions on something like instructables.com. I'd be interested in doing the same thing but wouldn't want to hack these up unless I had some reference material to ensure a satisfactory outcome. Good review.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 10:28:13 PM PDT
J. Walker says:
My thoughts exactly. Has anyone found instructions for this?

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 10:09:52 AM PDT
Jace McCown says:
If you modified the input please let us know how you did it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:03:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 10:06:22 AM PST
I appreciate that the volume knob does not work with the mp3 or other device. This means you can save the batteries in the stereo headphones by turning it off, but the radio, computer, etc. allow volume control. I like this purchase very much and find them to be a comfortable fit. I only wish it had a mono-stereo switch to use when listening to a weaker FM station.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (1,998 customer reviews)
 (1,014)