5.0 out of 5 stars Fastest SDHC Card on the Market, Make Sure Your Camera Supports It Though..., April 5, 2011
This review is from: SanDisk SDSDXP1-016G-A75 16GB Extreme Pro SDHC Memory Card (Personal Computers)
Length:: 5:32 Mins

The SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-1 is the fastest SDHC currently on the market. That being said, I must point out that this card uses the UHS-1 standard which most cameras in existence currently do not support. I have the Nikon D7000 and as far as I can tell, it is the only camera that supports this card. Currently you can pick these cards up for about 75 dollars. However, I suspect that as more cameras are released that support this card, you will see the price go up.

This card writes and reads at a minimum of 45 mb/second. This is 15 mb/s than the former fastest SDHC card on the market, the SanDisk Extreme Class 10.

Even if you do not currently have a camera that supports UHS-1 this card will still work and is backwards compatible with SDHC and SHXC devices. However, the card will revert back to standard Class 10 speeds approximately.

I could go on and on about the quality of SanDisk but I won't. Simply put, they make some of the best memory for cameras out there.

This is a great card, but it is not for everyone. I prefer it because I only shoot RAW (NEF for Nikon) and the files are typically between 25mb - 30mb. The Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only) has a buffer of 10 RAW photos. When I get to the end of the buffer, this card starts with the magic. Where my Transcend Class 10 card would only allow me to shoot 2 shots per three seconds once I reached the buffer, the Extreme Pro allows me to shoot 2 shots per second when I run over the buffer. It also replenishes the buffer in about 4 seconds versus the 15-20 seconds the standard Class 10 cards would take.

So, this card may or may not be for you. If you shoot event photography, sports photography, or weddings, then I would suggest you buy a couple or more of these. If you are a casual shooter who never fires off a large burst of photos, I would save your money and buy a less expensive card like the Transcend 16 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card TS16GSDHC10E that is one third the cost.

In the video I compare three cards, the Dane-Elec 8 GB Class 4 SDHC Flash Memory Card DA-SD-8192-R, the Transcend 16 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card TS16GSDHC10E, and the SSanDisk Flash 16 GB SDHC Flash Memory Card SDSDXP1-016G (Black). I start by shooting straight RAW photos until the camera's buffer is exhausted and then see how quickly the card can write to clear the buffer. I then shoot the cards again in Fine JPG mode. I do this to show that the three cards will all suffice if you are just shooting JPGs. I wanted to show this so that it would help others in deciding if this was worth spending three times as much as other Class 10 cards.

Overall, I would definitely buy this card again.

-Cheers!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 7, 2011 9:24:51 PM PDT
Jeff Hayes says:
I've read literally HUNDREDS, possibly THOUSANDS of product reviews at Amazon and other online shopping sites, and this has to be THE BEST I've ever seen -- particularly the EXTREMELY helpful video he provided. I'm shopping for a card for a Pentax K-5 I'm on the verge of buying, which is purported to use the SAME sensor as the Nikon D 7000 and has roughly the SAME shooting speed (6-7 fps). Although this will be my first DIGITAL SLR (had film SLRs in the past), ALL FOUR of the digital cameras I currently have -- going back to 2003 -- are capable of shooting in RAW (I don't buy junk -- they've been relatively "high-end" megazooms). And although I understand and appreciate the flexibility and purpose of shooting RAW, I've never ONCE found a use for it, yet, and don't see it in my immediate future. So Mr. Denton's demonstration on how there's essentially NO difference in shooting speeds even between a Class 4 card and the 45 MB/s Sandisk -- even at 6/7 fps FINE JPG was a TRUE eye-opener. I'll still certainly stick with at least a Class 10 card -- likely still a Sandisk Extreme III -- but I'll probably not make that extra 50% leap to the UHS1 class thanks to his VERY helpful video (even though I MAY be shooting some full 1080P video, as well -- I think even THAT won't come close to taxing an Extreme III card).

Many thanks, R. Denton!
Jeff Hayes

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2011 10:09:02 PM PDT
Jeff,

Thanks for the very kind words. I'm glad you found the review helpful.

You are spot on in your analysis. If you don't shoot RAW then chances are your camera's internal buffer will be able to handle the shooting and a less expensive card will work. My friend was just looking for a card for his DSLR and I mentioned the benefits of a UHS-I card, but also discussed how he might just be spending money on something he wouldn't completely use. He ended up going with a 32 gb Class 10 card that was a fraction of the cost.

Again, thanks for the very kind words. I'll try to keep up the level of the reviews.

-Robert

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 4:36:03 AM PDT
The Nikon D5100 supports UHS-1.

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 4:39:24 PM PDT
cranster63 says:
Hi Robert,

Yes, thanks from me as well. I was going to buy several expensive Extreme Pro CF and SD cards only because I usually just buy the best, not because I know what I'm doing. Now I've watched your very informative video I can see I only need the cheaper Extreme cards for my Canon 7d and 500d. And also I didn't realize that my 500d wouldn't support the SanDisk SDSDXP1-016G-A75 16GB Extreme Pro SDHC Memory Card. Thanks again, I appreciate your demonstration, you have saved me heaps.

Cheers
Michelle
Sydney, Australia

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 12:46:56 PM PDT
J. Parsley says:
Okay, so does it matter what type of card I use for a tablet that supports SD cards if I want to increase the memory, for things like videos? I would assume higher read speeds means a smoother streaming of videos from the SD card to the tablet's player.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 1:06:25 PM PDT
Unless your tablet supports UHS-1, I would not use this card. If I were you, I would go with a normal SDHC Class 10 card. That will give you good read and write speeds without paying the premium cost for a UHS-1 card. Don't get me wrong, on my camera I love the UHS-1 speeds, but with just about any other device SDHC Class 10 is going to be the fastest supported anyways.

As far as video goes, you will have to see how the device does. There are a number of things that can affect performance when playing video (processor load, integrated graphics processing usage, ram, bus channels, etc.). I would just figure out which card your device supports, get a good brand that meets the specs and try it out. Chances are it will handle video fine if you are not doing many other tasks.

Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 1:08:18 PM PDT
Michelle,

I'm glad the video helped you save money and get the right product.

Best of luck with all your photos.

-Robert

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 8:08:46 PM PDT
P. Hartung says:
Great review.
Another benefit of getting the faster card (if you shoot RAW or video) is that the buffer will clear faster because of the superior write ability. This is important because certain shooting requires bursts that, when clustered together closely, can themselves be problematic for slower cards.

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 7:59:49 AM PST
Arun J says:
This video was extremely useful simply because it was a practical comparasion using a working SLR camera (that I am contemplating buying). The speech levels could be improved however towards the end when the camera is shooting multi-frames at the same time. I could not discern what Denton was saying then because it was drowned out by the multi-shutter release.
Great video overall!
Thank you Denton!

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 6:38:24 AM PST
The other thing about this memory cards is that they are shock, water and x-proof while the cheap transcend cards are not. Think about it, you could be at a wedding changing a memory card.. whoops drop it in water, there is a good chance that the cheap memory cards are ruined.. while these pro extreme cards are water proof and could just pick the card back up dry it off and slam it back into the camera no data lost.

Another thing I wanted to say is hopefully Nikon will release another firmware update that would increase the buffer size or something.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›