3.0 out of 5 stars good but be mindful of which router you use., February 7, 2011
This review is from: WD TV Live Hub 1TB Media Center (Old Model) (Electronics)
I bought this and am very happy with the "playing movies" off the internal harddrive part of it. The interface is good and pretty easy to get around. The whole box is amazingly small and quiet.
The only issue I've had the last couple days is getting it to see the internet and my computer through the router...and I'm running a cable to the router-I'm not wireless.
I could plug the WD straight into my modem and get netflix fine but when it went through my brand new netgear wpn824N-100NAS router, I couldnt get on or network with my computer. I've tried everything, read every troubleshooting forum on the web...but no joy. The router works for my computer...I get the internet on it just fine, but not on the Live Hub.
Called WD today. after an hour of resetting router,resetting Live Hub, going through networking on my computer--all of which I'd tried already, he finally asked me what router I used. Then said it wasnt compatible with the Live Hub. I'm sort of questioning if it's just an excuse, but going to try a different router tomorrow. Most on the list he sent were actually difficult to find at a bestbuy.
I caution everyone to make sure they have a approved router before attempting this. very frustrating to spend days trying to figure it out.

***UPDATE***after being told by WD that my router wasn't compatible and being told by NetGear that the HUB was at fault...I went and bought a E2000 lynksis router instead. Set it up, plugged Live Hub into router, clicked on Network Setup...Boom! computer see's the hub, Hub see's the internet and Netflix streams flawlessly! After two weeks of heavy frustration, I really enjoy the Live HUB.

UPDATE **** 8/31/2013. I got nervous as internet speeds from Verizon were getting worse and worse. They sent me a Verizon modem/router combo in which got me nervous thinking I might have connection issues again with the Live Hub. Thankfully it worked great. Of course didnt fix internet speeds and discovered how badly Verizon had been ripping me off with speeds...so I switched to Time Warner who also set me up with their leased modem/router. This also worked fine with the Hub of which I now own two, one for bedroom and other for main room- both ethernet connected.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 29, 2012 8:59:02 AM PST
Where can I find a list of routers compatible with the Western Digital WD TV Live Hub?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 9:41:49 AM PST
Michael says:

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 10:55:33 AM PST
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2012 7:43:55 AM PST
80sGuy says:
Linksys are the best, I wouldn't use anything else since I've already tried others but all went back. I bought my WRT54GS 'G' router and been happy with it for more than 9 years! Oh, and no problems routing it with the HUB either. What I really need is 'N'.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 8:50:52 AM PDT
Rose says:
I have a NetGear N600 wireless dual band router. Does anyone know if the WD TV Live Hub will work with that?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 9:49:03 AM PDT
The NetGear "N600" designation is more of a class of routers than a specific model. There should be another designation such as WNDR3700 or WNDR3400 or WNDR3800 somewhere on your router. Then check that model number against the list of compatible routers at http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5688/p/208,342/session/L3RpbWUvMTMzMDUzNzI4MS9zaWQvR2tuaEFXUms%3D. Others may work but these are the ones that Netgear says will work.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 3:09:22 AM PDT
W. Grimes says:
Dude, just a little hint for the future never ever mess with netgear products period they are the lowest quality on computer electronics period. OVER ALL They SUCK!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 12:11:07 PM PDT
80sGuy says:
Agree, I initially a Netgear and it took me more than 45 minutes to try to connect but no go, also called tech support with no help -- it sucked. I returned it and bought the Lynksys 'G' and in no time I was happily surfing in my sofa. This was 10 years ago and I'm still using it, but thinking about upgrading to 'N'.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 1:53:16 PM PDT
D. Wilkinson says:
I've used my WD TV Live Hub on three routers, and one Gigabit switch without any problems. None are listed on the compatibility list. Same with external hard drives.

With the exception of USB WiFi adapters, I wouldn't worry about the compatibility lists. The vast majority of routers, hard drives, and wireless keyboards are going to work just fine.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 11:35:59 AM PDT
Carl23 says:
Your uopdate seems contradictory. Hub couldnt be at fault, per NetGear, yet it worked on lynksis. Makes me wonder why it didnt work on netGear. Are we into G vs N vs B? I would hate to buy a product that requires me to buy a new router.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (606 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $250.00