5.0 out of 5 stars Beats the Galaxy III and iPhone 5, October 5, 2012
This review is from: HTC One X 4G Android Phone, Gray (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I purchased this from ATT after baptizing my Atrix 2 in Pepsi (it didn't survive). I had gone in for an iPhone 5 (which is gorgeous, but smaller) and didn't want to wait for a month for delivery. The HTC One X was $99 with 2-year plan (reduced because the One X+ quad-core is coming out). I couldn't be more impressed, and having owned this for three days, feel that is it significantly better than the Galaxy III or iPhone 5 (but for different reasons).

I looked at the Galaxy III. I had previously owned a Galaxy II and hated the interface, plus it was fragile. I was interested in whether the Galaxy III had improved ... but it hasn't. The main draw of the Galaxy III is the big AMOLED screen, which, frankly, is not really that nice. The main drawback is Samsung's interface (you absolutely have to root the Samsung's to eliminate their poorly designed interface and get back to native Android). Samsung also has extremely poor sync software.

In contrast, the One X keeps most of the Ice Cream Sandwich interface (a good thing). There is some ATT bloatware, but you can go into Settings->Apps and disable most of these (just like on a rooted phone). HTC doesn't have an unlock for the bootloader yet, but I presume this should be on the HTCdev site shortly (HTC is pretty good about this). Given the native quality of their Sense user interface, it may not be necessary to root at all (I know that not everyone likes Sense, but I find it much better than Samsung or other handset interfaces).

As for the iPhone 5 ... pictures don't do it justice. It is beautiful to hold and use. But! The screen is much smaller than the One X (Retina is not an obvious improvement on the One X screen) and the iOS interface is not as customizable as ICS, while being equivalent in 'user experience'. So I give the edge to HTC One X.

HTC One X's camera is better than any of the competition, because it has a larger lense (f/2.0) which gives it better low light performance. The native camera software is also much more usable (and faster) than the Galaxy III ... comparable to the iPhone 5.

Build quality appears solid, and the phone feels good in the hand. The sync software works as advertised ... no problems.

Cons: (1) lacks SD slot and removable battery. Neither is an issue for me. Battery life has been good so far. (2) not quad-core (as is the International version) or the new One X+. Again, not a problem, since the other two cores are only used for games (which is not how I use my phone). In fact, this was a + for me, since ATT dropped the price from $199 to $99 in anticipation of the quad-core One X+.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 9, 2012 10:44:44 AM PDT
J. Tolisano says:
EXCELLENT review. You pointed out things about the Samsung interface that anly someone that lived with it for a long time could comment on. For me right now it's between the HTC ONE X and the S# and the low price of the One X is kinf=d of making my decision for me. Do you realize that Best Buy will price match Amazon? Last week it was priced at $19.99. Starting this past Sunday the price is now 1 penny.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 11:55:30 AM PDT
I was a little upset about the price drop, but since I got this on upgrade (rather than new contract) I was stuck at $99 (down from $199 the week before). Having owned it for a week, I am still impressed with it. The only observation is that battery life can be variable, and the main culprit seems not to be GPS, WiFi or the usual suspects, but the display, which seems to be pretty energy hungry. I'm getting about 8 hours of use from a charge, but I'm sure this would drop were I watching movies. I purchased a New Trent external charger just in case. The speed of Internet search is really outstanding ... by far the best service I've had. All told, this is IMO the best of the current crop of phones, and at $0.01 a no brainer (just my $0.02)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›