5.0 out of 5 stars Best I've seen for the adult beginner on piano, October 10, 2010
This review is from: eMedia Piano and Keyboard Method v.3 (Software)
I'm a musician but not a piano player, and I've had 4 piano lessons with 3 different people. It turned out to be very hard for these piano teachers, who learned as little kids and mostly teach kids, to understand the needs of a musician adult who is learning piano as an additional instrument. They don't have the appropriate method books, they don't know how to assess what I don't know, they don't know how to make appropriate assignments. I learned very little in those lessons.

This method is just fantastic for me because I can skip over all the things I already know, and I can take the same lesson over and over and over again if I'm having trouble with it, never trying the patience of the computer (unlike the humans!) I've been using it maybe two weeks? and I'm amazed at all the things I've learned, and all the songs I can play. The teacher's videos add just the right touch, the singing on the songs is lovely. There's an accompaniment track for the songs so you can get up to tempo and have fun playing with them. Guitar chords are provided (!) which means I can add the chords I know on selected simple songs to make the lesson more challenging. It's a heavily song-based curriculum, lots of Baroque music, but I'm also working on Piano Man by Billy Joel.

My feeling is once I finish this disk, I will be ready for piano lessons with a human. And I will be playing piano pretty darn well by then, too. I just can't recommend this highly enough.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 31, 2011 1:39:22 PM PDT
Macjones says:
This is the boat i'm in (good review BTW : ) )

A ways back I used a software typing tutor called "Mavis Beacon" (about 10 years ago). I learned how to touch type IN ABOUT TWO WEEKS. It was amazingly 'productive' (key word here is productive). It's just something about the nature of keyboard, and I'm guessing that if done correctly this may be possible with the musical keyboard, which is sort of analogous to a language keyboard.

But i'll soon see, I guess. note: two weeks I don't think (maybe two years :D )

Anyways, thanks for the excellent review

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 2:36:27 AM PDT
E. Narcisse says:
I'd like to know if you found the music software to be as effective as the typing software, mavis beacon. I also learned to type in about two weeks with that same software.

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 1:14:20 AM PST
J. Parker says:
I know this review was posted a couple of years ago but I wanted know what the end result was considering that we have a similar background. I'm a saxophonist/amateur music producer attempting to learn piano. Did it teach playing and sight reading?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (66 customer reviews)

$59.95 $54.99