Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now Sale

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Activity Monitor - Feel the need to leave this review, November 13, 2013
This review is from: Polar Loop Activity Tracker (Sports)
First of all I purchased this directly from Polar because I wanted it as soon as possible. I also purchased the H6 chest strap (wish I would have gotten the H7 for equipment). Setting this thing up was very easy. The button and scrolling through the menu is intuitive and easy.

I've owned a Jawbone Up (for 5 months and have replaced it 3 times now). There were a few things that I liked about the Up but here's why I chose the Polar Loop:

1. I only want to wear one thing on my left wrist--I need a watch, this foots the bill. I wish it had the date but I'm happy with it.
2. Like that I don't have to plug it into the phone jack on the iphone (4S) for it to sync. No little cap to lose.
3. I can quickly check my progress with a couple punches of the button. Instant feedback.
4. Thing I like most about it is that it works well with my HR monitor. Sometimes I take long walks--when I don't have time for that I like to do an elliptical or jog. By using an HR monitor I can track towards my progress without putting in the steps.
5. Polar is a reputable company and I've used their products in the past. I had no reservations about giving them a shot on this new product.
6. Waterproof/Shower-proof (although I've noticed that the water hitting it activates the menu).

Cons:
1. App isn't quite as slick as the Up one. I think over time this will get better. I love how the UP app shows a column chart of sleep, activity, and food intake...it does a poor job of taking into account exercise though.
2. Battery life is around 5 days. Not quite as long as the Up (which tends to lose it's battery life the longer you use it).
3. Wish it had the vibration alarm that the Up has. Not a deal breaker for me though and probably would kill the battery life faster.
4. VERY minor annoyance here but I'm never a fan of proprietary charging cables. I travel a lot and it's just one more thing to carry. I'll deal with it :)

Honestly, I think this is the best activity monitor out there right now. The time, waterproof, integration of HR monitor makes it my best choice; maybe it's yours too. Hope this helps someone.

11/20 update:

I don't understand why people are voicing frustration over this product. I emailed Polar (told them I had bought a H6 monitor and wanted the H7 monitor). They immediately credited my account and I bought a H7 monitor (through Amazon). I just got it today and it pairs easy--I paired it within 2 seconds without even looking at the directions. Granted there's a little bit of tech savviness needed but individuals need to do a little research.

The fact of the matter is that this is the only activity monitor that allows you to use a HR monitor. Does it have all of the features of every other competitive alternative; no. Is the app perfect yet, no. I trust polar I'm just amazed of these negative or mediocre reviews--be fair in your reviews is what I ask. I (as a consumer) trust and read every review--I wanted to add my 2 cents.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2013 12:27:14 PM PST
K. Prabhu says:
When you sync with your H6 HRM, does the Polar Loop always show your heart rate?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2013 5:09:45 PM PST
it's a little difficult to explain...the answer is sort of. The display hibernates until you hit the button. when it wakes up it shows the last mode (such as time) that you were in and then shows the bpm followed by if you're in "fit" mode or "fat" burning mode. that make sense?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2013 6:04:25 PM PST
K. Prabhu says:
It does. I am looking for something that will give me live heart rate information. I am thinking of getting Polar's H6/H7 HRM and use the iPhone app.

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2013 7:35:26 PM PST
Hi. It's definitely "live" as you can sit there and watch it change. It's just not a constant readout on the band (I assume because it would drain the battery if it was constantly displayed.)

Posted on Nov 22, 2013 7:44:57 PM PST
Stephen says:
Unrelated to the Loop itself...why did decide to go with the H7 over the H6?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2013 3:59:11 AM PST
Hi Stephen,

I went with the h7 because it is recognized on gym equipment (like my elliptical) and the h6 was not.

Posted on Nov 30, 2013 4:33:15 AM PST
Bonnie G says:
I'm happy for you that your Loop has worked so well but I have not had the same experience. The phone app has yet to work for me. I was on the phone with Polar for 30 mins and he assured me all was well but once again it never sync'd after the original set up. It says it is syncing but the numbers never change. I have to delete the app and download again for it to change and then it never changes again. I am certain I have downloaded everything properly......the phone app just will not work. The computer web site works perfectly and I also have a H7 HRM. Same luck with it. I have gotten it to work may be 3 times and it always drops the bluetooth connection after a short while. I am very frustrated. Just a little insight into why some of us are not happy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2013 9:36:03 AM PST
Hi Bonnie. That's unfortunate. What phone are you using? I would love to help if I can. I've dropped 13lbs since I've had it. I would like to help if I can.

Posted on Nov 30, 2013 8:40:32 PM PST
Have to agree with you - there are some overly negative and unrealistic reviews. This product has unique features which should be considered alongside any shortcomings.

Posted on Dec 25, 2013 10:28:10 AM PST
Ursula says:
I'm glad you were able to work through your tech issues. Th fact is that many of us, even those of us tech savvy, just have not been able to correct the tech issues. Negative reviews do not equate to us not being tech savvy or not considering the other features of the product. I am glad it's working for you. For me, it did not. I'll consider repurchasing when the bugs are fixed. For now, I'll use my Polar H7 with the Polar Beat app which works fabulously.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›