5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT BUT HAD TO RETURN IT... :(, April 12, 2013
This review is from: American Tourister Luggage Splash 29 Upright Suitcase (Apparel)
First of all, let me say this is a great bag. However, I believe that clarification should be made about the measurements. There is a difference in how the airlines measure your bag, and how American Tourister measures it. The airlines measure the outside of the bag...and in particular, the depth of this type of bag is deeper than stated because the airlines include those pouches on the front. This makes the measurement of the 29" upright to be 29 x 21 x 14.5. This brings the total to 64.5".......2.5" over the 62" allowed on the airlines. I really loved the bag but would have had to pay $175 for an "oversized" bag. Now, the way American Tourister measures their bags is on the INSIDE. They don't count the pouches on the front; just the inside of the main compartment. So, sadly, I had to return the bag. BUT, I ordered the next smallest bag offered by both American Tourister and Amazon and this bag is only 25" upright, making it well within the 62" limit allowed on airlines. I am sure that bag will be every bit as good as this very large bag is.....and let me tell you the 29" upright IS HUGE! I have a 60 pound Brittany that would fit inside that bag perfectly with room to spare. No, I did not stuff my dog inside the suitcase to test it. He was standing right next to it and I could see just by looking at him that he would easily fit inside. I also read in another review of this bag that the reviewer stated she is 5'11" weighing somewhat over 100 pounds...and she was able to fit inside the bag except for her head. This will give you an idea just how very large the 29" upright is. But, it will be too large for the two airlines I will be taking...which is US AIR and UNITED. I don't know what the other airlines allow.
Amazon has a very generous return policy as well. Not only that, but their representatives are extremely kind, very helpful, and courteous. I asked for a postage paid return label to return the bag. The gentleman I spoke to was extremely helpful and he sent me the return label via my email as we spoke...making it possible for me to repackage the bag, and drop it off at UPS the same day. This makes dealing with Amazon a wonderful experience all around.....especially when you call Customer Service and are always greeted by really warm, and courteous representatives.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
agree on superior AMZN service
60lbs is heavy for a Brittany

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2013 12:58:25 PM PDT

Posted on Sep 1, 2013 10:45:58 AM PDT
This is a terrific and informative review! Thanks so much. I am an infrequent traveler and was about to purchase new luggage without considering all the new regulations. I followed your advice and purchased the 25" bag. I will think of you when I check in and am not (I hope!) charged extra for my luggage. Your is the most helpful Amazon review I have ever read.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2013 2:22:47 PM PDT
I am so glad my review was helpful to you. I too am an infrequent travelor but had heard about the size regulations with certain airlines. I was not charged extra for the smaller bag I returned the large one for, so I am hopeful that you won't be charged either. Have a nice and safe trip!

Posted on May 1, 2014 10:22:24 AM PDT
ortencia says:
Hello Sandra-

Your review is very helpful. Thanks for taking the time out. I went ahead and ordered it and hope the airline wont have an issue with it.

Posted on May 28, 2014 1:07:19 PM PDT
radiogal says:
That's great info--I'm flying in a few months and was wondering if I should go a size up from the 25. I guess I should stick with that!

Posted on Jul 4, 2014 2:21:26 PM PDT
Harley Quinn says:
Thank you for the review. I will be using Japan Airlines and their measurement restrictions are different, the maximum is 203cm (79.9 in) so I was actually looking for something big.

Posted on Jul 17, 2014 12:27:16 PM PDT
Bob says:
The dimensions of all the bags should be shown and whether the bag being sold would create an additional charge. Very helpful review...saved me from making a mistake. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2014 10:26:05 PM PDT
Little Honda says:
haha! I thought the review was helpful too, but I love that you focused on the dog's weight. Myself, I got stuck on this woman she describes as being 5'11" and 'somewhat over 100 pounds'. Doesn't sound healthy enough to travel!

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 7:15:06 PM PDT
Anthony H says:
Great comment! I was just about to purchase this bag and then went to Qatar Airways, and sure enough, their luggage dimension limit is also 62". A real bummer! I'll have to settle for the 25" bag.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›