2.0 out of 5 stars I was disappointed., August 30, 2012
This review is from: The Lucky One (Amazon Instant Video)
I waited on pins and needles for this to come out on video. I never got to the theater to see it. I finally rented it today and sad to say, I was not impressed.

I enjoyed the book and while I knew Hollywood would take some liberties, I was disappointed in how much was left out. Mainly, the dog plays a much more pivotal role in the novel. Being a German shepherd lover, I was looking forward to seeing this beautiful dog showcased in a main role. But Zeus played a minor character, used only to explain his presence at the dog kennel. The very essence of a shepherd, utmost devotion and ultimate protector, were left out.

Several of the scenes involving the ex-husband were not included. This would have gone a long way in explaining what scum he was. Not to mention, the picture included some more details in the book and made the fact that he found her way more believable.

Finally, I just couldn't buy into Efron's character. I'm sure he's a great actor. Honestly, I've never seen him in anything else. But he seemed so stiff to me and not a natural for this role. I felt Schilling acted circles around him.

I'm glad I didn't pay a movie ticket price to see this. I'm only out $3.99.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 20, 2012 8:41:18 AM PDT
jazzyj says:
I totally agree with this comment. Zeus played a vital role in the story and it wasn't portrayed in the movie at all. My husband didn't read the book and as we were watching the movie, he could see how mad I was getting because they left so many important parts out. I think that at the end the book left you guessing, while the movie gave you a fairy tale ending.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 11:57:03 PM PST
Jefner says:
In a movie that lasts less than 2 hours we see plenty of the dog. How it was waiting for him to get home, follows him everywhere and assists him and the ladies get the kennel going. The movie does a great job of portraying the people. I thought there were too many scenes with the creepy abusive ex. The movie as a stand alone was pretty great. It shouldn't be judged by the book.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 5:34:23 PM PST
lima says:
I agree with your assessment of zach he was so wrong for this role and was it me or did the lead actress look like a mother to him rather than a lover?
Loved the book...bated movie
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (1,045 customer reviews)

Add to wishlist