5.0 out of 5 stars Love this game, September 17, 2012
This review is from: Sleeping Dogs [Download] (Software Download)
It's been ages for me when I got hooked to the story of a game and got really "involved". Sleeping Dogs got so many things right for me, as a gamer, that I couldn't put it down.

First, the delivery of the story with focus and entertainment. It may be a GTA style spin off but that said, it gets things right that GTA didn't, (for me, this is my opinion) in the story delivery part. I love the story in this game, it's like... Internal Affairs (2003 chinese crime film, a must see) except you're playing as one of the characters. There are certain minor mechanical things that I feel SD did a better job vs GTA. For instance, you can continue to use your phone and enter a vehicle (gta it hangs up)

The gameplay also is great. In GTA it was, get guns, drive, shoot, run from cops, rinse wash and repeat... pretty repetitive for me. in Sleeping Dogs they try to break up the formula, chase someone in a car, get into a fist fight, parkour chase someone... etc etc you rarely pick up guns in this game (when you do, it's appropriate and well placed). The combat system is great, I haven't gotten tired of the kung fu, it's entertaining and brutal... kinda like a mix of assassin's creed, it's fluid and the counters are awesome plus environmental stuff.

The setting, is in Hong Kong. It's not in the US. Finally, I mean US is great, I live here and I love it, but at the same time, I want to play in other parts of the world, the main char, isn't a bad guy trying to be good (who's likeable, a charismatic bad guy, but not like evil {subjective?}), rather... he's a good guy, but he's a bad guy... and it's trying to find a line... kinda.Honor, loyalty, discretion, commitment, pretty important stuff in Asian culture (subjective nowadays) Being Asian, I guess it's nice to play an Asian character.
Oh the roads, are reversed, which for the first hour completely messed with me -_-" Ah also, seeing as you're part of the Triads, there's lots of swearing, the environment is awesome, sounds are there, the lights, love driving through hong kong at night and what not. It just captures a great atmosphere, partially believable.

Vehicles, well they aren't trademarked, but you can see similarities with what they would be in real world, doesn't bother me. The radio is awesome, variety of music with a hong kong feel, sometimes listening to the commercial i get a what the...? moment. adds the vibe.

For the PC launch they did a great port, Square Enix pushed for a solid PC launch, so it's got some boosted stuff, like day 1 HD texture pack DLC (free) and plans for DLCs for the next year (rumors have it there's gonna be a 2nd game:D)

I probably could go on and on, but time for a few cons. The game is still glitchy, controls can get really iffy at times and can get frustrating (think AC during the puzzles but less of a headache) but with the patches coming out, it gets better and is stable on general. Some of the DLCs are a joke, but oh well, I support this game so they can take my money XD

I wish there were more side missions to do... really want to see the continue of the story. Or a parallel story. IDC just more content would be awesome.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]