152 of 194 people found the following review helpful
Not a room light, does not plug in and cuts off after 15 minutes
, November 10, 2010
= Durability: = Fun: = Educational:
This review is from: Uncle Milton Star Wars Lightsaber Room Light (Toy)
Seeing this "Lightsaber Room Light" in a toy catalog and a shop, it looked fun, clever and a gift to be excited about to give to a Star Wars fan. But this was nothing more than frustrating from a practical stand point, and disappointing from every stand point.
One assumes by reading the product specs online and on the box itself that it would simply plug in to a walls electrical outlet. But this is not at all the case. By "wall mounted" they mean that literally, you must screw the bracket onto the wall with a couple of screws. I'm sure that's fine with some people, but I was not expecting this for a child's toy. (As the lightsaber is permanently attached to the mount, I wouldn't consider it a toy but a room decoration. The lightsaber does not detach from the mount. The plastic molding is one piece.)
This runs on five AAA batteries. Three of the batteries go in the 'handle' and two in the remote control (which changes the color of the light). The battery pack in which you place the batteries is in the handle, and is a little tricky to get in and out properly. And that was when I didn't have it mounted on the wall. Were this mounted on a wall, I could foresee it pulling off the wall fairly easily in a short amount of time. ~Especially~ if your child is the one who will be opening up the handle to remove and replace the batteries, and then re-assemble onto the mount.
The batteries in the remote have to be screwed in with a philips-head screw driver. I only mention this in case a young child is given this and the batteries need replacing, it's something that should most likely be done by an adult.
Personally, the fact that this runs exclusively on batteries and can not be plugged in was pretty much a deal-killer for us but I truly wanted this to work. I have a Star Wars fan in my life and this would have been a perfect gift for him. Why Uncle Milton decided to manufacture this to run on battery power exclusively amazes me.
But the following issue on this "room light" (quotes added intentionally as I can not consider this a true room light) is the fact that the light turns off automatically after 15 minutes ("to conserve energy," as their Green-speak instruction manual declares). If there were an option to pick between timed-intervals or always on/off, and simply clicked on/off by the remote it would have made so much more sense. But there is no option. The remote changes the color of the light saber, as does the button on the handle. But the handle button was the only way I could get the light saber to turn on. So if you're looking for a light to keep on in a room, be prepared to keep getting up to turn it back on at fifteen-minute intervals.
I asked an electrician who lives down the street if there was any such adjustment or tweaks which could be made so the light saber could stay on continually, but he was unable to find a solution without replacing the entire inner workings with a different LED light source.
Bottom line: If you don't intend for this light saber to be on for more than fifteen minutes at a time, and you don't mind replacing batteries as you are unable to plug this into a socket, and you don't mind permanently screwing this onto a wall, it's a fun product.
For us, this was far too impractical and too far from the item description for it to be a usable for the person it was intended for.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you?