2.0 out of 5 stars Not a room light, does not plug in and cuts off after 15 minutes, November 10, 2010
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Uncle Milton Star Wars Lightsaber Room Light (Toy)
Seeing this "Lightsaber Room Light" in a toy catalog and a shop, it looked fun, clever and a gift to be excited about to give to a Star Wars fan. But this was nothing more than frustrating from a practical stand point, and disappointing from every stand point.

One assumes by reading the product specs online and on the box itself that it would simply plug in to a walls electrical outlet. But this is not at all the case. By "wall mounted" they mean that literally, you must screw the bracket onto the wall with a couple of screws. I'm sure that's fine with some people, but I was not expecting this for a child's toy. (As the lightsaber is permanently attached to the mount, I wouldn't consider it a toy but a room decoration. The lightsaber does not detach from the mount. The plastic molding is one piece.)

This runs on five AAA batteries. Three of the batteries go in the 'handle' and two in the remote control (which changes the color of the light). The battery pack in which you place the batteries is in the handle, and is a little tricky to get in and out properly. And that was when I didn't have it mounted on the wall. Were this mounted on a wall, I could foresee it pulling off the wall fairly easily in a short amount of time. ~Especially~ if your child is the one who will be opening up the handle to remove and replace the batteries, and then re-assemble onto the mount.

The batteries in the remote have to be screwed in with a philips-head screw driver. I only mention this in case a young child is given this and the batteries need replacing, it's something that should most likely be done by an adult.

Personally, the fact that this runs exclusively on batteries and can not be plugged in was pretty much a deal-killer for us but I truly wanted this to work. I have a Star Wars fan in my life and this would have been a perfect gift for him. Why Uncle Milton decided to manufacture this to run on battery power exclusively amazes me.

But the following issue on this "room light" (quotes added intentionally as I can not consider this a true room light) is the fact that the light turns off automatically after 15 minutes ("to conserve energy," as their Green-speak instruction manual declares). If there were an option to pick between timed-intervals or always on/off, and simply clicked on/off by the remote it would have made so much more sense. But there is no option. The remote changes the color of the light saber, as does the button on the handle. But the handle button was the only way I could get the light saber to turn on. So if you're looking for a light to keep on in a room, be prepared to keep getting up to turn it back on at fifteen-minute intervals.

I asked an electrician who lives down the street if there was any such adjustment or tweaks which could be made so the light saber could stay on continually, but he was unable to find a solution without replacing the entire inner workings with a different LED light source.

Bottom line: If you don't intend for this light saber to be on for more than fifteen minutes at a time, and you don't mind replacing batteries as you are unable to plug this into a socket, and you don't mind permanently screwing this onto a wall, it's a fun product.

For us, this was far too impractical and too far from the item description for it to be a usable for the person it was intended for.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 14, 2010 7:23:28 AM PST
Did you read the specs on it? OR see a picture of it? I NEVER thought of it as a plug in (it takes 5 batteries) and it comes with a wall mount. It is intended to be a night light.

Product Description
This kit has everything you need to construct a lightsaber and mount it on your wall. Choose from 8 awesome color effects, plus auto-spectrum using the remote control!

Product Specifications
* For Ages 6 and Up (with help from a friendly grown-up)
* WARNING: SMALL PARTS - Not intended for children under 3 years of age.
* Awesome lightsaber room light with sound effects and remote control
* Construct and display a lightsaber room light with this kit
* Learn about electronics and how lightsabers work
* Mounts to the wall
* Over 25" long!
* Choose from 8 color effects plus auto-spectrum
* Remote control for easy on/off from anywhere in the room
* Kit includes: Fun & informative learning guide, 2 hilt halves, 1 battery pack, 1 electronics pack, 1 exterior cap, 1 wall mounting bracket, 1 blade, 1 remote, and 1 wall mounting hardware
* Requires 5 AAA batteries (not included)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2010 4:12:58 PM PST
guinaevere says:
The product name states it is a Room Light, not a night light. I looked at the picture on the box, but yes I only glanced at the specs. The batteries I assumed were in the remote only (I didn't notice how many it took); I did not imagine the light saber itself ran off of batteries.

Posted on Apr 14, 2011 9:56:08 AM PDT
Earl E. says:
Thanks, your thorough review convinced me to save my money.

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 7:29:48 PM PST
Chris says:
^ Thanks! Me too
Almost bought it as I have been buying every single Star Wars merchandise I can find before SWTOR comes out.
Batteries=Deal killer for me. I wanted this plugged in, and on all the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2011 12:17:00 PM PST
Nightlights should stay on... at night! There is nothing that says this turns off after 15 minutes. I'm VERY thankful that this reviewer posted the information.

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 5:42:31 PM PST
M. Dixon says:
I am glad I read your review before wrapping this and putting it under the tree. First, I bought it at a local toy store and spent a whole lot more money than amazon is charging. I thought it would be a great gift because my son loves lighsabers and is scared of the dark. I though the light saber could be removed from the mount for play and then returned. Returning is exactly what I will be doing with this item. Luckily, the store has a good return policy.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 2:01:53 PM PDT
SSR Mama says:
THANK YOU for this very thorough review. I was so excited about finding this for my friend's son A HUGE FAN OF STAR WARS I would have been greatly saddened to learn about this AFTER the purchase. I will not be buying this item.

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 8:35:55 AM PDT
Andrew Loyal says:
The 15 minute deal breaks it for me. But I really got to admit that for someone who writes such a thorough review, you didn't research the item very thoroughly. One glance told me that it mounted to the wall, and logic dictated that it used batteries.

I agree that it would be nice to have lithium ion or NiCad batteries and a cord that could be used to plug the lightsaber in to charge, but I guess the manufacturers didn't think it would be on enough to warrant special batteries.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 8:05:06 PM PST
gopher fan says:
Do you really want your kids plugging and unplugging something like this from a 120V wall outlet? They will eventually "feel the force" that way.

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 7:59:26 AM PST
Kris Kipp says:
Really?? You thought it would light an entire room? Its a novelty item.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (213 customer reviews)

$29.99 $28.59