Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

2.0 out of 5 stars I love Nora Roberts, but had a hard time with this book, November 5, 2011
This review is from: The Next Always (The Inn Boonsboro Trilogy) (Perfect Paperback)
I love Nora Roberts; I have read all her books and I enjoy the amount of detail and research in her stories. This book is typical Nora and it is decent if you are a fan. I agree that her research is what changes from book to book and that it feels like she pulls character descriptions out of her archives. My biggest gripe is how this novel reads like a 300+ page travel brochure for her real-life hometown and businesses. I am sure I would enjoy staying at the Inn Boonsboro, but the constant cross-promotion buries the romance. I like travel books, but do not package one as a romance novel and try to fool me. The Inn was the main character; the hero and heroine felt like the supporting cast. I think Nora does much better without a financial stake in the novel's setting.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2011 6:55:15 PM PST
I agree with your review wholeheartedly! This is the first NR novel that I've abandoned after three chapters. Boring!

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 6:15:03 AM PST
I have to agree, I'm only in first third of book, and it's the old, "should I wash the windows or read another chapter". This is so rare for NR books. I hate spending this much money for a ho hum book about her latest money maker.

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 8:18:25 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 14, 2011 8:18:46 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 9:00:55 AM PST
sheri says:
Keep reading, it's worth the read...loved it....looking for #2 to read!

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 12:06:45 PM PST
Yogamom says:
Glad I didn't know about her personal life; I was not distracted by the details of the Inn's resurrection. Instead, I love renovating, rebuilding not only life after a major set back but having something like a renovated garden (or restored building) to show for the healing journey. Eight years after losing a child, our gardens are stunning bringing great peace and pleasure to visitors. Roberts writes fiction; it can be inspired by life. I love chocolate covered caramels, hot tea and an afternoon with a Nora Roberts book.

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 4:55:07 AM PST
I just ordered the book and am sure I'll enjoy it as I enjoy all of Nora's works. Actually - Nora doesn't live in Boonsboro. She (they) renovated the hotel - and helped rebuild the town. Her support of local artisans and the local economy made the town come back to life. Please understand the order of things - her money makes the town what it is now- the town didn't make her rich - her books did. I've stayed at her Inn - and it's lovely - makes you feel like it exists just for your pleasure.

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 8:21:40 AM PST
Hermione says:
I'm sorry you didn't like the book. I totally understand your reasons, but for me, knowing she and her husband operate a similar bed and breakfast added to the charm of the book. I felt it made a lovely background, especially with it's ghostly inhabitant. Hmmm. I wonder if Nora has a "Lizzie" of her own. I also loved her characters as always and I can't wait to read about Owen and Avery in "The Last Boyfriend".

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 9:02:22 AM PST
EasySt. says:
Agree whole-heartedly with this review. I am 1 of the people who defend Robert's formulaic writing because the dialog, the banter is so clever. This book is a 300-page ad and kind of boring.

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 9:58:44 PM PST
I am also a NR fan and I agree something was just missing from this book. I got bored with the details of the inn because I have a hard time picturing them in my head. It kind of reminded me of HGTV with English descriptive services turned on. I missed a few of the vibes, like the bad guy, it came out of nowhere for me. I was also confused by all the initials like ADA and TTP (felt dumb when I figured that one out). I also admit I have no idea who Titania and Oberon or Nick and Nora are, so the significance of room details was lost on me. I liked the book, I didn't love it. I'll probably read the other 2, but I'll get them from the library. I hope they have more plot and less building in them.

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 2:31:33 PM PST
Alexandra says:
Perfectly stated and so very true. I'll probably read the next ones anyway, but will wait till they are in the library. She really let me down this time; and I didn't know about the Inn actually existing until I finished the book and wondered if other people felt as let down as I did - and read these reviews! Live & learn. At least I now know why this NR book not have any qualities that makes her books usually so fun to read. Its a marketing book. You would think she makes enough money from all her writing not to be a shill. Save your money NR fans!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›