5.0 out of 5 stars Best Wireless Router I Have Ever Owned...By FAR, February 14, 2007
This review is from: D-Link Wireless N+300 Mbps Extreme-N Gigabit Router (DIR-655) (Personal Computers)
Im sitting on this thing right now. Man oh man...im getting a "very good" signal where my connection used to be dropping...

I used to have a few problems with WiFi. The first problem was obviously the range...as I said a few moments ago, the DIR-655 fixed that...I mean, even though it claims 6x range, but I was going to be happy with just a 25% improvement...I seriously think that this router increased my range 50-75%!

I used to always be frustrated with the lack of settings in many routers. Some would have QoS (Quality of Service...something that can prioritize important internet activity like Voice Over IP...internet phone) but it didnt really work. Some would be lacking in semi-advanced routing features...others would barely have any non-novice features at all...This one has plenty of options for the advanced user to have a lot of fun screwing with settings. The most beautiful thing about it though, is that there is a wizard in the interface so that even the most novice of users can set up a great network with strong security. It also has context sensitive online help...what that is, is when you are trying to adjust settings and you dont know what something means, there is a little help button right there that you can click to get an explanation right then and there! Its kinda like the Yin-Yang of routers...

I want to mention that I have been looking at draft-N routers for a few weeks now and have been reading the reviews. The reason that I am writing this review is that it was so hard for me to find a good review on this router. Cnet doesnt even have an official review (as of 2/13/07) but it does have very positive user comments. From my homework though, (user reviews, and more importantly official reviews from Cnet, engadget, etc) every Draft-N wireless router has some kind of problem. Some dont work well in environments with more than a couple neighboring networks, some dont have good throughput, and some dont have better range. Again, I didn't want to buy this one because I couldn't find any solid review on it. After going through a couple of different Draft-N routers, Let me help you out. This is the one.

BTW...im not running an "N" wireless adapter...this thing even increases the range of "B" and "G" signals. GREAT JOB D-LINK!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2007 12:39:54 PM PST
Tomas Nochta says:
I have a lot of problems with my Netgear WNR834B n router so I think I will buy this one. Sounds good.

Posted on Feb 1, 2008 5:11:38 PM PST
R. Vyas says:
Just use it for a few days and you will soon find about frequent connection droping problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2008 7:14:20 PM PDT
as a solution, trying upgrading the firmware to the latest DD-WRT, I heard it solves ALOT of problems

Posted on Dec 8, 2008 8:52:11 PM PST
Susie Kewzie says:
CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WITH A QUESTION? My husband told me that we need an "N" Wireless Router to replace the G one we have. We currently have a LINKSYS and DSL BROADBAND. I have NO CLUE if I can go from a Linksys to this brand, or do I have to buy the compatible same brand? What our problems were, was that we would have 4 laptops running in the same house and it would cause us to have SLOW downloads and buffering in watching streaming video. My husband said that an N router would solve the problem. HELP! I need it for Xmas!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2008 9:18:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2008 9:38:28 PM PST
You don't have to buy the same brand. It appears that your husband is suggesting you replace your current Linksys Wireless-G (IEEE 802.11g specification) router with a faster Wireless-N (IEEE 802.11n) router.

You might want to look at the reviews here on Amazon of the D-Link DIR-825 and the product info on it at dlink.com. When streaming video, it's probably a better choice than the DIR-655 and is much less expensive than the D-Link DIR-855. However, if you have the $$$, the DIR-855 would appear to be the best way to go.

To take full advantage of the increased speed of your new Wireless-N router; however, your laptops will need wireless network adapter cards that also conform to the 802.11g specification. But, that is something you can take care of, one laptop at a time, after you've settled on the new router.

Merry Xmas (-:

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2009 10:32:51 AM PST
You don't have to buy the same brand, but you may have a better result when you use the same brand.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2009 7:08:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 26, 2009 7:09:10 PM PDT
toomanybarts says:
In reply to R. Vyas - yep, it wont be long before you keep getting "pc left the network", "pc joined the network" over and over and over in your Network Magic (free bundled software) logs - so nice of Dlink to include this software to log the frequent wireless dropouts!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2010 1:33:34 PM PDT
C. Hallowell says:
The word on the street is : DO NOT INSTALL the "NETWORK MAGIC" thingy -- it's the devil himself in there mucking up the works !!!
I had a lot of probs with my unit until I uninstalled the DIR-655's software and started over WITHOUT THAT STUPID "NETWORK MAGIC".
Never had a problem of any kind since then !!!
Don't be afraid to set up your network manually, using the fairly-easy-to-follow instructions (CD) -- it's so easy a cave man can do it !!!
My D-Link DIR-655 coupled with a D-Link DWA-552 XtremeN Wireless PCI Adapter runs 24/7 without a hitch -- HOWEVER, I would highly recommend using a D-Link WirelessN USB Adapter on any computer that has an available USB 2.0 port. The USB Adapter will yield a much higher actual transfer speed than the old PCI cards.
Also, with a little creativity, a reflective "dish" type antenna booster can be fashioned with a USB wireless adapter, a male-to-female USB cable, and a kitchen strainer or collapsable steamer. Google for complete instructions.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2010 8:15:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2010 8:16:40 AM PDT
W.F.S. says:
@Adil

DD-WRT does not run on this router. If you have connection problems, you can upgrade to the latest firmware from the dlink website (Don't trust the firmware version checker within the dlink config, it's always one version behind). The current version is very stable.

Posted on Sep 5, 2010 10:56:34 PM PDT
Is this router dual voltage (120/240V)?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (3,098 customer reviews)
 (1,486)