5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, October 14, 2009
This review is from: Logitech Squeezebox Radio Music Player with Color Screen (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
When the Boom came out, I wanted to purchase it right away, but the $300 price tag and the inability to truely make it wireless detered me. Now that the Radio is out with a lower price tag, battery capability and a color LCD, I was totally sold. I've had the Radio for about a week now, and I simply love it. Even the wife was jamming to it when I got home from work the day after I bought it.

So far I have only had one issue with it...I can not find a setting to set the Album Art size to full screen on the Now Playing screen. It says in the manual that it is under the Screensaver settings, but when I go there it doesn't exist. I sent an email to Logitech support, but have not heard back from them yet. [Updated] Logitech just released a new software version that will correct this issue.

Another cool feature that I didn't realize existed, was the ability to control the Radio from the web.

As far as sound quality goes, it is far better than expected. There is virtually no distortion even at maximum volume. I even plugged a set of Computer Speakers into the Headphone Jack and it didn't make that much of a difference. The Base levels aren't that deep, but they are there. I can put it in my livingroom and pump it up near max volume and hear it clearly throughout the house.

I haven't tested the Wireless strength extensively yet, but I was able to hook it up in the garage (1 Floor below and 50 feet from the router) and the signal strength was near full.

Overall, I am very satisfied with my purchase and can't wait to get the battery pack so I can just carry this thing around anywhere.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 16, 2009 5:48:46 AM PDT
G-Radio says:
[UPDATED].. Support has informed me that the software does not currently have that capability, but they are working on adding it to the next release.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2009 8:29:32 AM PDT
Gloria says:
Thanks for the review.... I recently bought the Boom and liked it so much I ordered this because of the battery pack that I read should be available in Nov. (unless you've found somewhere to buy it already)....my radio should be here Wed. from Amazon. Did you edit out you can control it or did Amazon....I've read about people using their itouch but the boom came with a remote so I haven't installed that App....the rechargeable battery pack also includes a remote and sells for 50.00 ....

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2009 8:54:08 AM PDT
G-Radio says:
I don't know what happened there. I meant to say that you can control it from the My Squeezebox Website. I put the link in and maybe they took it out. I did not find the Battery pack anywhere, I just heard it would be out next month as well.

As far as controlling the Radio with the iTouch, I think I read somewhere that iPeng is a good app that allows you to control it. I have a WinMo 6.1 phone and I was looking for an app that would control it, so if anyone knows of one, let me know.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2009 5:21:58 PM PDT
Go Vols says:
Look for an app called slim control. It works with wifi enabled WM phones. Its mentioned on the slimdevices forums.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2009 4:25:44 AM PDT
G-Radio says:
I found it, thanks. http://www.sciatec.de/SlimControl/slimcontrol.shtml

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2009 9:36:44 PM PDT
E. Golden says:
Great review - I have been waiting for the new models to come out. I think this may be it! Can you tell me if the squeezebox will stream stations at www.accuradio.com? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2009 5:34:41 AM PDT
G-Radio says:
Yes you can, it is an App that you can install from the AppGallery, just like Pandora and Last.fm.

Posted on Oct 31, 2009 9:13:04 PM PDT
Eric says:
Can you add an extra speaker or speakers for stereo output sound?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2009 1:25:36 PM PST
Aloduq says:
Yes, you can plug them into the 3.5mm headphone jack.

Posted on Nov 4, 2009 8:22:13 AM PST
Ernesto says:
G-radio, great review!!

i see this is a mono radio, but have you tried using the 3.5mm jack to check if you can get stereo sound from proper speakers?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›