Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars I changed my mind., October 24, 2009
This review is from: Casio Men's GW5600J-1 G-Shock Atomic Tough Solar Watch (Watch)
This is a solid, well-built watch. Had I purchased it alone I would have loved it. The problem is that I had ordered two versions at the same time to decide which one I liked better. I got this one and the non-solar, non-atomic, 1987-tech DW-5600E at the same time to compare.

Features the J has that the E doesn't have:

Solar power
Atomic time updates
Multiple alarms & snooze alarm
World time
Auto backlight on when raising your wrist in the dark

Features the E has that the J doesn't have:

Day & date displayed simultaneously on main screen
Countdown timer adjustable to seconds (instead of minutes as on the J model)
Alarm can be set for a specific time, day or month, or any recurring combination of the two
Smaller footprint for both wrist area and height
Time is visible in all screens except alarm set

The bottom line here is that the DW5600-E does the basic task of a timepiece better: it tells you the time, day, and date more easily and with less hassle than the newer model. There is no selecting the home city, putting your watch at a certain position in the window at night, worrying about charging up the battery, and all the techno-tasks related to a supposedly maintenance-free watch.

The fidelity of setting seconds on the countdown timer is crucial for fitness use (a minute is forever when doing something physically challenging...), or photography (I still develop film and 15 seconds can mean overdevelopment...), or cooking, scientific experiments, etc.

The 5600-E is lighter, smaller, and more comfortable to wear. The size difference may not seem like a lot on the spec sheet but the difference is tangible in practice. I like a slim, low profile watch and the 5600-E wins in this area.

It's also about half the price. The batteries on these things last ten years; if you spend the extra dough on the solar model it will take you the rest of your life to make up the cost difference. Also, the accuracy of these watches is great - you may get out of synch by about a minute per year, something you can adjust when you switch back & forth from DST. Neither solar nor atomic is a compelling reason to spend twice the money.

New in this case doesn't mean better. Unless you're a frequent traveler with world time being a prime consideration, or have a need for four daily alarms, the older 5600-E does the job of telling time easier and more affordably.

EDIT:

I've evloved my opinion. I think pretty much any 5600 (or 5000) model is great. I got my atomic models to synch just fine, I just have to do it at night and facing west. Really can't go wrong with any of these.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 10:28:17 AM PDT
a customer says:
I've learned (the hard way) that the best way to have battery changes done for G's is to send it off to Casiosalesandservice.com. Most jewlers simply can't reseal G's to their original water resistancy.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 3:22:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2012 3:25:40 PM PDT
cactus says:
you do not lose water resistance by changing the battery if you do it right.
you need to apply silicone sealant to the gasket surfaces and you need to make sure the gasket is installed correctly and the case back is tightened correctly (but not over-tight).
i've done this to countless watches and have never had a g-shock leak. ever.
i can't imagine a jeweler so inept that they couldn't do something as simple as change a watch battery.
come on!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 6:21:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 6:22:30 PM PST
a customer says:
You obviously put care and effort into your battery changes. All I can tell you is that after hearing of other people having bad experiences with water tightness after getting their G's battery changed at their local jewler, I took a chance with a local jewler who was highly recommended - only to have moisture (fogging) show up after I washed it in the sink. I didn't even dive with it! Other customers can add their experiences, and I hope for their sake I'm in the minority. As for me, I'll be sticking with the website I mentioned. These watches are after all, diver's specs (200 m). Many places won't deal with diver's watches because you need a pressure machine thingamajig to certify the water resistancy. Surely you know many places don't have these machines in the store to begin with, even if they are otherwise skilled jewelers.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 3:29:49 AM PST
Smaug says:
Best G-Shock review I've ever seen. My first G-Shock was a DW-5600E. I gave it away and made someone very happy for Christmas one year. Since then, I've not been able to find a modern watch with that feature set. Well, some lower-priced, non-G-Shock Casios do, but they're ugly and not as tough as the 'E.' Now, I was thinking of buying one of the 'J' suffix models for my brother for Christmas. Or a 6900 solar/atomic. But neither of them can display the time of day while in stopwatch or timer mode. This is SUCH a useful feature! For example, when timing a car trip, but you also want to know what time it is. Or when timing a turkey on the grill for an hour but you need to check the time in there too... The multifunction alarm, as you said is also brilliant. One can set it to remind oneself of a single, important event months later. (of course these days, so can a cell phone calendar) My 5600E gained about 10 seconds per month. So plan on setting it to atomic time a couple times per year, when you change daylight savings time settings, and you're good. I too, found the battery lasted 10 years, and furthermore, it is a commonly available CR2016 lithium. MUCH larger in diameter than most watch batteries, but very thin. One strong feature worth mentioning about the 'J' model: Since battery changes aren't needed, the water resistance is never compromised. When we replace batteries on the 'E' model every 10 years, we should also change the gasket on the back, so that the waterproofing stays intact. But no one really does this, do they? ;) So your 'E' model will be less likely to retain it's waterproofing 12 years from now than the 'J' model. (assuming the 'J' was never opened)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 5:40:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 5:41:19 AM PST
cactus says:
inspect and gently clean the gasket at battery change. if the gasket isn't torn or dried out, you just need to apply silicone sealant to the gasket surfaces and re-install the gasket.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 2:07:20 PM PST
RedEyedJedi says:
great review! i was looking for a g-shock for my dad and wasnt sure which one to get him. u helped me decide on the 5600E! thanks :)

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 7:21:42 PM PST
Sundancerguy says:
Thank heavens for this review. I would have been very disappointed had I received a watch without the ability to set seconds on a countdown timer. Sounds like the atomic feature may be more worthwhile than the solar power--time to do some more research.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 9:54:28 PM PST
Crimech says:
One reason I choose a solar watch, not because it recharges itself , it's because you don't have to open it and take the risk of damaging the seal or whatever is in charge to keep water out and ruin the watch. That happened to me to an really old casio I had, the battery was changed by "certified technician" then water got inside of it and my old casio was damaged. But your point is very good.

Posted on May 12, 2016 9:15:00 AM PDT
I can't get my watch to sync at night? I only get 1 bar. For the signal? Any advice? Yes, it is set to my home . L.A Thanks, Jeff
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›