5.0 out of 5 stars Best case with keyboard - BETTER than ZAGG!, July 24, 2011
This review is from: New Trent IMP39B/NT-39B Embassy Keyboard Case for iPad 2, Bluetooth keyboard /w leather finish back cover for Apple iPad 2 3G Tablet, WIFI Model, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, with three different adjustable angles. (Personal Computers)
I am going to assume that if you are reading these reviews than like me you are comparing everything to the Zagg/Logitech case. I was able to get a good feel of the Zagg from a co-worker. The keyboard was good, size nice, not too heavy, and it was pretty easy in and out of the case. BUT there were two major concerns! First, and most importantly, I knew I would be using the case in bed while I was leaned back and resting it on my lap. This produces a forward lean which would cause the tablet to fall forward in the zagg. Second, the back of my co-workers ipad was scratched because it was exposed in the case. So these two concerns sent me to Amazon looking for an alternative.

After looking at other cases I found that the NewTrent was the only real alternative. Feel free to do the research but the others are just leather cases bundled with removable keyboards. So I ordered it on the pre-order. It shipped two days early. After receiving it I can not say enough good about it. The pictures here and on their own website don't do it justice. The top part that holds the phone is like those clip-on hard cases for phones, tablets, etc. NOTE: It's a snug fit so with my carbon fiber skin on the back of the ipad its a little hard to clip in, but it still works. Once clipped in you can easily swivel between portrait and landscape. Then comes the best part. The keyboard is on a slider that reveals three sets of grooves as you slide it out. Each groove creates a different angle. Everything is solid.

The keyboard is well built and easy to use. If you have used a netbook, you can adjust easily. Coming from a full keyboard will be harder but it gets easier as you use it. It also comes with a silicone cover protector which I thought would never stay on while typing because it's a flat piece and isn't contoured to the keys. Boy was I wrong, It works amazingly well. The ipad keys and functions all work well. It connected easily and stays connected fine. I have only had it 2 days so I can't yet say how long the battery will last but based on the general quality, I'm not worried.

Another great feature is the laptop style lock/latch when you close it. A slide button releases it to open again. Great solid design. Closing it also shuts the screen off like the ipad covers or the zagg.

There is a storage place for the charging cable so you don't have to find a way to carry it around.

One thing that concerned me was whether I could still use the ipad as a tablet while in the case for games and stuff. I was hoping the case would allow the ipad side to flip over and lay flat. This is not the case (maybe a future feature for them to consider). But even though it doesn't fold flat, you can slide the keyboard in and face the ipad up at about a 40 degree angle. Not bad really, I can play most game easily like that.

I have found that it's a little tough to take the ipad in and out but again that could be because of my carbon fiber backing making it thicker.

Finally, I was concerned that in the picture the way New Trent is imprinted would look cheap. But it's not too bad. I do recommend the company come up with a clever logo instead.

As a final thought, this product is HALF the cost of the ZAGG and about double the functionality. Therefore I consider it 4x the value. I can not recommend it enough. It really is a GREAT, HIGH QUALITY product that is FAIRLY PRICED.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]