4.0 out of 5 stars No warts here., December 25, 2009
This review is from: Judged by Love: A Biography of William X. Kienzle (Hardcover)
This is an interesting but strange biography. First off, it's too long. Except for a few sentences about Kienzle's birth and family of origin, the 1st 70 pages are a series of tales about disasters that happened to altar boys, priests, even monsignors during Catholic ceremonys. None of them were Kienzle's mistakes so it was all extraneous.
A good biography describes the subject's personality, warts and all. None of that here. This subject is depicted as a saint. The evidence cited is his love of everyone and that fellow seminarians, parishioners where he served, fellow priests, those still priests and a large number who left the priesthood, all were devoted to him his whole life.
His wife is an interesting woman, fond of animals, a gardener, irratic health, responsible for many changes of households - she, flawed, more human than her subject, held my interest.
At his sudden death, Kienzle was planning his 25th Father Koesler book, a totally off-the-wall mystery based on the life of Christ.
As so much that happened in their lives was interpreted in spiritual or reglious terms, it occurred to me that possibly God called Kienzle to heaven to prevent him from messing with Christ's life.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 31, 2010 3:35:18 PM PDT
This is an interesting but strange review.
I'm sorry to have disappointed Ms. Talbot, but my husband was referred to by friends as "the Gentle Giant"; one friend frequently referred to Bill Kienzle as "that saint you live with."
Yes, I am flawed. But Bill Kienzle managed to love me anyway. Which probably proves his "saintliness."
Countless books have been written about the life -- and death -- and Resurrection of Jesus. Who better to write about him than a 20-year-priest who loved him dearly?
I wish you could have known Bill Kienzle, and I'm sorry that my limitations as a writer didn't enable you to know him better through this biography.
Sincerely, Javan Kienzle

Posted on May 31, 2010 3:37:52 PM PDT
This is an interesting but strange review.
Sincerely, Javan Kienzle

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2010 9:57:33 AM PDT
Well, it's not really important that I know him, is it?
What I do know is what matters to me and that is that he was a good mystery writer. Prior to reading your biography and since, I have been reading Kienzle mysteries and enjoying them. I only have a few left to read and will be sorry when I reach the end of his work as a writer.
Regards,
Lorraine Talbot

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2010 10:08:05 AM PDT
Thank you for your post. I hope you will enjoy the remainder of the series -- although I must admit that as "live-in editor," I had my own favorites and liked some more than others. But I'm always amazed at readers' responses, as some liked the very ones I liked least. No accounting for taste! Thanks again.

Posted on Jan 11, 2014 4:47:21 PM PST
Carol Mello says:
If Bill O'Reilly can mess with the life of Christ and Mel Gibson can do it too (neither of whom I consider even close to saintliness), then why object to William Kienzle who is much more worthy than those two? I doubt God calls people to heaven to prevent them from writing books.
Just making an observation about a weird comment in your review.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (5 customer reviews)

$22.95 $20.03