Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

5.0 out of 5 stars Olympus Hits a Homer, February 23, 2008
This review is from: Olympus LS-10 Linear PCM Recorder (Electronics)
The Olympus LS-10 is one beautiful little piece of equipment and is a worthy competitor to the wonderful SONY PCM-D50.

The LS-10 has a heavy duty feel to it, similar to the PCM-D50
but of course much, much smaller.

It has a superb MENU system, with options to adjust REC MODE, REC LEVEL, ZOOM MIC, REC MONITOR, PLUG IN POWER, six adjustment options for PLAY MODE, along with REVERB and something called EUPHONY for atmospherics.
Other options include BACKLIGHT, CONTRAST, and LED ON/OFF.

Brief testing yielded very good recordings, with the MIC SENS switch a critical aspect. However, there is a RECORD thumbwheel control, similar to the SONY, and you can adjust for MANUAL or AUTO in the MENU options. Note that the capsule MICS do not move, as on the SONY D-50, so if this is a consideration for you, check out the SONY.

Assuming there is no limit on SDHC capacity, one could easily stick 32 GB in there with no problem (I currently use a 16 gb in my Zoom H2 with no difficulty)

Two additional observations:

-- Hand movement noise is a problem, with the twin MICS picking it up, similar to the Zoom H2 and SONY, so I would recommend using a tripod or handle -- there is a tripod dock on the bottom of the LS-10

-- At first, I was not pleased with the placement of the SD door, which seemed far too close to the left hand VOLUME control thumbwheel. However, I now realize it's not that bad -- the SD cover is of the rubber type (obviously they didn't want to have these things breaking off by making them out of hard plastic) and it works well.

I played a number of files on this through a very good speaker system and am impressed again. I believe Olympus has produced a piece of equipment here that will be compete extremely well at this price point ($348 advance from Sound Professionals) with the SONY PCM-D50.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 23, 2008 11:20:37 PM PST
I sure hope I am wrong and doing something wrong.
I have had my LS-10 for a week and just sold my Edirol R-09.
I have spent a good deal of time with my LS-10 and find several
important things (to me) that it is not capable of doing that the
R-09 would do. Just off the the top of my head.... could see
more of the detail of file names with R-09. Could change the
file name w/o having to connect to a PC.

Several other irritations.... I will agree that the unit is very "pretty",
but the MAIN thing that I am not happy with is that I have not
been able to produce recordings that sound as good as my old
(now gone) R-09. I have spent a lot of time with this puppy, but
not really an expert and am sincerely hoping I am doing something
wrong. I tried several settings and combinations of setting and
have not been able to get sound that is as good as the R-09.

I also have a list of other minor irritations and suggestions that
I would like to see fixed. If these things would be fixed, I would
be superbly satisfied.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2008 12:25:20 AM PST
Peter II says:
Hi Norman, Your post is timely. I just read about the LS-10 and have my Edirol R-09 sitting in front of me because I wanted to compare the size and feel of it (in my mind) to the specs listed for the LS-10.

Would you (or anybody else) please follow up with a comment on what you end up doing and whether you are able to get the same recording quality as the R-09?

Thanks a lot,

Peter

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2008 10:14:24 AM PST
Peter, I am still trying figure things out.
I have noticed that when playing back the recorded music, that the
volume comes back as far too low. I believe something is wrong in
the firmware. If isn't this, then it has to be I just got a bad unit.
If I can find one close to where I live, I will go and compare the two.
Right now... the fact is - my R-09 recorded better and did a few more
things. True, it did not have any speakers, but speakers that are
blt in the ls-10 are pretty much worthless. I am NOT expecting full
bore loud stereo, but did expect that the speakers would be much
louder than the puny speakers on the Olympus WS-110; (I really
like that unit, for what it is).

If I had never had the R-09, maybe I would not be quite to dissatisfied.
But, still trying to determine if I have a bad unit or I am doing something
wrong. Am I wrong in expecting this to record better than the R-09??

As far as size, I see little difference. The LS-10 is not as wide, but
a little bit longer. No big deal. The LS-10 IS very pretty, but just
being pretty doesn't quite cut it.

I will let know what the resolution is.

Posted on Nov 23, 2008 2:02:08 PM PST
J. Kelly says:
You say, "I currently use a 16gb in my Zoom H2 with no difficulty." I put a 16g MicroSDHC (with adapter) card in my H2 and, sure enough, it accepted the card, but it only recognises it as 8g. If you check storage left when you put the card in, you'll see it's the same as the 8g capacity. I'd love to be proven wrong on this point, as more capacity in my Zoom would be great. Any response would be welcome.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›