4.0 out of 5 stars Really, really nice for the price..., May 4, 2010
This review is from: Orient Men's CEM65001B "Black Mako" Automatic Dive Watch (Watch)
This is a great watch to try if you want to go with a reasonably priced mechanical. Sure, it will not keep time as accurate as a quartz watch, but I love the sweep second hand that mechanically beats over half a million times a day! My particular watch runs about 8 seconds fast/day, and to put this into perspective, that's 99.9907% accuracy!

This watch looks so much better in person, and I was very pleased from the second I opened the box. Finish is very well done, the watch has heft and a quality feel, the crowns/button feel precise, and for the cost the band is pretty good aside from the clasp. Not that the clasp does not work well, and have a safety catch, just that it feels less substantial compared to the rest of the watch.

My bezel was stiff at first, but purposely working it for awhile made it smoother. The screw down crown and day pusher are very smooth and have a quality feel, as does moving the hands; there is very little backlash and feels precise and not sloppy. The watch is extremely quiet, and unless held directly to my ear, I can not hear it run. Illumination is pretty good, and lasts for many hours after charging. My watch as received fit an 8" wrist.

Some things to consider:

- The second hand does not "hack" when the crown is pulled out.

- There is no ability to hand-wind.

- Unless the fine adjustment of the clasp yields a proper fit, you/watchmaker will need to size the bracelet using tools.

Some niggles I experienced:

- There was some sort of light smeary, streaky substance UNDER the crystal.

- Hit or miss customer service replies via email.

- The dial color in my example is more a dark charcoal, than black. I wish it were a deeper black.

- No lume on the second hand.

Final thoughts: I really like this watch, and will probably buy another Orient product in the future. If you have to have quartz accuracy, please DO NOT buy a mechanical watch and then realize it's not as accurate. Some mechanical watches will "settle in" after a month or so of use, so give your new watch some time to see how it actually performs while worn before passing judgment.

Thank you.

*** UPDATE: 4 Sept, 2010 ***

A couple months after my review, the watch started running erratically. It would gain nearly a minute a day, loose this much or more, and finally it simply stopped running. I contacted Orient watch with an initial email to the address listed on the warranty card for an RMA number, and heard nothing after several days. Tried another email to another address with "Joey" in the address, and got a reply asking if I had dropped the watch, and no RMA. I reply it had not been dropped, it simply stopped, and 3 days from my initial email I get an RMA number.

Watch was confirmed sent to their CA facility shortly there after, and now nearly 6 weeks later, I still do not have my watch. This is far too long to wait for repairs, or replacement, and I hope at least when I do receive it the repair was done well, and w/o damage to the case, scratches, gunk under the crystal, etc... Since sending in my watch I have read of some bad repairs/CS at Orient Watch USA, and it seems in my case these reports are at least partly true. This situation has genuinely soured me from any further purchases as it stands, and wish it were otherwise. I will update this review as the situation warrants.

Thank you.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 8, 2010 1:54:37 PM PST
Did they take care of it for you? I'm curious about their after sales service.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2010 5:00:09 PM PST
Jonathan says:
Yes, and I wanted to make sure everything was finalized before I updated. My original watch was returned repaired (kept fantastic time), but either the band was improperly assembled, or someone at UPS severely slammed the box around because the bracelet was detached, the crystal chipped, and the bracelet scuffed up upon arrival.

My concerns were quickly addressed via email by a person not originally involved, and a brand new watch was sent as a replacement. New one arrived in pristine condition w/o flaws, and keeping phenomenal time... Wear it and it looses a few seconds a day, leave overnight crown down gains a few seconds so it cancels out to an almost a 0 second variance. I still can not believe how accurate it is, and I am very happy with it.

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 3:02:29 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 12, 2011 3:03:09 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 3:03:40 PM PDT
TechBoy says:
Does your watch tick (making noise) constantly when the room is quiet?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2011 7:52:03 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
You would have to have bionic hearing that rivals Steve Austins to hear it tick... It is absolutely silent for me unless held directly against my ear, and even then it's very, very faint. The only normal noise you can hear is the rotor turning. This rotor noise to me is of absolutely no bother, and not obtrusive at all.

My watch continues to run extremely well, and by using positional variance when taken off at night, the watch can keep within +/- five seconds of my atomic clock nearly always... It is absolutely amazing the level of accuracy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 1:39:08 PM PST
Any more updates, now that its been another year or so?

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 6:58:59 AM PST
Jonathan says:
Still running pretty well, and only recently has the crystal been scratched. Some issues remain/cropped up:

- I have twice now had to disassemble the watch (unscrew back and remove the movement) to clean haze that forms under the crystal. Something, perhaps a lubricant is out-gassing/evaporating, and leaves a noticeable, annoying haze.

- About 5 months ago it started to run very fast, perhaps 30 seconds fast per day, and is getting very sensitive to how it is worn, where as before it was not. Perhaps it was "breaking in"/settling in, who knows, but something changed, and it's not related to magnetism. I took the back off, regulated it to a good compromise, but still it remains sensitive, and can swing between running fast/Good/slow depending on activities for the day, bracelet fit, and what position left overnight.

Still overall happy with it, and wish Orient would make this exact watch in a larger scaled up version; say 45-46mm case diameter.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2013 3:45:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 30, 2013 3:47:25 PM PST
Castlekeeper says:
Hi, I 'm really curious about how you "regulated" your watch. Please let us know, not that anyone else would have the ahhh, grit? to dig around in their watch's innards. lol!

I've read too many watch reviews today, but vaguely remember the Orient Hog rider (?) being talked about as being a larger watch for 30% more dollars.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 5:47:15 AM PST
Jonathan says:
It really is not hard, just need a good watch case holder, case back removal tool, loupe, and very steady hands. Google "automatic watch regulation", and see just how simple it is. Cleaning the inside crystal is pretty easy too. Once the back is removed, you depress a very small tab that releases the stem, remove stem, then gently flip watch over and the movement simply "falls" out. Clean crystal with a lint free cloth, and you are done.

I looked at the Hog rider, and did not like the shape; wish they would simply scale up the MAKO, and be done with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2013 12:47:15 AM PDT
Justin V. says:
It's 8 months later, and maybe you know by now, but apparently they DID do this, and it's called the Mako II

Orient Men's CEM75001B Stainless Steel Dive Watch