5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE that Leica Lens!, September 30, 2010
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 10.1 MP Digital Camera with 3.8x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD - White (Camera)
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 10.1 MP Digital Camera with 3.8x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD (White)

I have worked with quite a few high-end point-and-shoot cameras during the course of a few years. This camera I feel I can give without hesitation 5 stars. I have nothing bad to say about the LX5. I am reviewing this camera from a layman's point-of-view and not a professional's. I am sure a pro will find faults. This is what I see. The Leica lens in the LX5 seems to produce much sharper images than the Canon S90 and G11. Strangely, the images also seem sharper than my Sony Nex 5. In fact, in some cases, the Nex 5's photos seemed disappointly soft in comparison. LX5 colors are perfectly saturated but not too much - just enough to make the image pop. White balance seems right on most of the time.

I recently took photos in the dark of amusement rides at a local fair. I compared the LX5 photos with ones I took last year with the Sony WX1 and what a difference! The LX5 on iA produced sharp, bright images with no noise vs. the WX1, which even with hand-held-twilight, had softer and more washed-out images but also without noise. (Of course, there is a big difference in camera prices, and the WX1 is still a decent camera.)

I also compared the LX5' s AVCHD video mono with a camera that takes 1080i with stereo. The LX5's color seemed more natural (no bluish tinge) and the mono, I believe, might have sounded better than the stereo of the other camera which lacked a deeper base.

The LX5 allows for many adjustments the photographer can make in both stills and video to suit his/her taste. The creativity is there with the LX5.

More expensive than the average point-and shoot but worth it for the great image quality!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 1, 2010 11:44:58 PM PDT
B-Rad says:
I'd really like to see photo comparisons.... do you have Flickr account?

Also, how does LX5 HD video compare to Sony's NEX 5? I had the Sony TX5 and the HD video was amazingly sharp, and image stabilization much better than my Canon HD models and LUMIX. The TX7 went to a wider angle lens with horrible barrel distortion effect.

So sounds like the $200 price diff from LX5 to NEX 5 ain't worth it? Dying to see what the new LUMIX GF2 will pack.... needs image stabilization - very jittery HD video with current GF1 model.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2010 2:11:33 PM PDT
GG says:
I don't have Flickr, but I posted two photos for both the Nex5 silver and LX5 white on Amazon. I used iA for both and did not adjust anything to see if I could get a basic, pure comparison of the two cameras. Probably because there was a drop from 4 to 1 MB when it was input, the fine details of the red flower were not brought out with the LX5. The original on my computer showed spots on the flower, and the piece of lint stood out more than on the Nex 5. The leaves and sky on the second photo were more vibrant on the LX5 than on the Nex 5. Panasonic must apply more color saturation than Sony.
Concerning HD video, there seems to be a debate on-line whether 1080i (interlaced) is better than 720p (progressive). I record in AVCHD if the camera has it (excellent quality and less space on memory cards). I then use Pinnacle Ultimate to put the video and still photos into video shows for DVDs to watch on a HD TV. Although Pinnacle converts the videos to standard definition, I notice that there is still a difference starting with HD than if I originally recorded from the camera in standard definition. Quality seems to be better starting off with the AVCHD. From what I see, there is not much of a difference with the Nex 5 and LX5's video. The Nex 5's color sometimes looks cooler, and the LX5 seems to be warmer. The Nex does have stereo sound. I don't know if that's a major difference to warrant spending more.
I have the Nex 5 with the 18-55mm zoom lens kit lens. It is an excellent camera, but I'm not that into changing lenses. For someone who wishes to do that, it is great. I will probably use the LX5 more. It has a little more zoom built in than the Nex's kit lens and is a little more pocketable. I like the sharp images with the more saturated color.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›