2,370 of 2,599 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging. Brutal, but engaging!, August 19, 2008
This review is from: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, Book 1) (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Wow. I was barely able to put this book down for a second after the first few pages got me completely hooked. Suzanne Collins narrative here has an immediacy to it that, when combined with the very dramatic life-or-death plot, is incredibly compelling. It's entertaining, and incredibly disturbing all at once. If this was merely a good read, I would have given it 4 stars, but they say great art leaves you changed after you experience it... and this book definitely did that. Suzanne Collins has, with one amazing work, propelled herself onto my top shelf.

Parents, caveat emptor! The storyline is brutal. Even though the writing is geared for young adults, the main characters are teenagers, there's very little physical romance, and the actual violence would probably count as PG-13 nowadays... it's probably one of the most terrifying books I've read in a very long time! Right up there with George R.R. Martin, if not more so. Remember what we learned from Jaws: you don't actually need to SEE the shark in order for it to be terrifying. Sometimes not seeing the shark is even worse.

The story is basically about a teenager who is forced to compete in a 24-man-enter-1-man-leaves event. I don't want to spoil it by saying any more, but if you liked The Running Man, you'll definitely like this. And if you're young enough that you don't remember The Running Man, nor did you get the Thunderdome reference, then I'm just way too old. But take an old fogey's advice and read this book.

Amazon, when can I preorder book 2???

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 21 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 101 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 16, 2008 11:42:10 PM PDT
Michelle P says:
I'm an adult reader too, and I agree absolutely with this review. This book was dynamite! My only complaint is that we'll most likely have to wait a year for book 2 since book 1 was just released in September 2008. I didn't find the book terrifying or brutal exactly, but it is hardcore conceptually. A really fantastic little novel that I'd like to preorder ASAP as well! Would recommend this to any adult /teenager and would be very confident that they'd be chomping at the bit for the second installment the moment the last word was read.

Posted on Apr 20, 2009 11:22:22 AM PDT
Lefty Lu says:
I just finished reading this book, I normally take a week to read a book, I read this in 24 hours. I agree with everything said. The subject is brutal but the book is written in an almost PG style with a few PG-13 images. I would allow a teen to read this. I loved Running Man but this is WAY better. The book has a nice set up for the next. There are unanswered questions I hope we'll see in the next book. The second book comes out in September 2009 and I hear there is a 3rd so we will need to wait until 2010 to see that one.

Posted on Jul 5, 2009 10:05:48 PM PDT
I agree with everything that Michael Behr as written; only one thing I wish to add. I am painfully aware of my chest heaviness after reading this book and at times I realized how shallow my breathing had become. Disturbing but captivating. I had to know ... and just couldn't put it down. Read it in 2 days. Can't wait until September for the sequel. Why do publishers do this to us?

Posted on Jul 20, 2009 2:39:16 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 31, 2009 7:17:47 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 20, 2009 2:40:10 PM PDT
I concur with most all the comments--a book unusual for its literary qualities--beautiful language, characters achingly true, situations so dynamic as to force the reader to stay up all night. I have one complaint. Call it setting up the reader for the next book, but I felt as if the author couldn't decide where the plot should turn and so she left off before the combatants returned home, leaving the readers horribly frustrated. It felt incomplete to me.

Posted on Sep 10, 2009 8:44:32 AM PDT
Rapid Reader says:
Can someone tell me if this is appropriate for a 13 year old girl (who reads on 12th grade level) ? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2009 11:13:03 AM PDT
You probably should consider emotional maturity before giving it to her. It IS brutal, but all the literary elements are first class--incredibly defined characters, a plot that charges like a freight train, subtleties of implications about how society functions with controlled violence at its core, subtle symbolism, lyrical but accessible language, honest complications of personal relationships that mirror most adolescent experience and on and on. It's a terrific book, and I know I'd have more than handled it at that age.

Posted on Sep 16, 2009 10:54:56 PM PDT
C. Hedstrom says:
Why isn't the second book available on Kindle? I just finished the first one and loved it!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2009 12:54:12 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 31, 2009 12:54:42 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2009 7:16:30 PM PDT
I don't know about Kindle, but I've bought the book and read it in nearly one sitting as I couldn't put it down--it's just as good as the first one.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (22,518 customer reviews)
 (17,344)