1.0 out of 5 stars An embarassment even for the Call of Duty franchise., November 18, 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - PC (Video Game)
In order to understand how pointless the COD experience feels, it's important to note the lack of effort on the part of the sound department. Many times you will turn around and end up shooting a friendly in the back because you just can't hear what's going on. Even in the sneakiest parts you will hear nothing but a cacophany of enemy chatter and weapons sounds and those overpowered by a lumbering and anticlimactic musical score. Good luck hearing a footstep or even determining the direction of enemy fire. It's as if the mix team just mashed the sliders all the way up and let it be. The sounds that one would expect to drown out all others, such as your own weapon or a tank firing directly beside your ears, are barely perceptible in the mush of everything else.

Because it's basically impossible to hear enemies, the simplest way to locate them is stand up in the open and wait until you start to get hit. Don't worry, apparently in COD world, bullets aren't lethal projectiles but merely wads of goo which slap you in the face, blurring your vision until you expire from blindness, so don't do this for too long.

If you're waiting for a pickup, keep your head on a swivel, because that SF little bird will just ninja on down behind you without a sound, and you'll be waiting for something to happen only to turn around and find a silent helicopter just chilling there a meter away.

Maybe it's unnecessary to expound upon, but graphically nothing has been done to this game for about four or five generations, so expect the same old same old as far as scenery. It may be that gamers feel a few 4 hour campaigns and some multiplayer kicks are well worth their $250 without any sort of development in terms of the actual game engine.

Now I know the vast majority of gamers couldn't care less about inaccuracies so I won't begin a tirade expounding on COD's "unrealism" but as a former Recon operator I can tell you there are thousands of them.

In addition to the lack of anything resembling realistic details, I found that with regards to scenario "preposterosity", COD takes the cake. As the Russian fleet attempts to displace the water of New York harbor by cramming as many boats as possible into the smallest area, your team takes a DPV ride down to an enemy submarine which is trying to fit into the Hudson to get its cruise missiles within range of California. After planting charges on the hull you detonate at a good safe distance of 5 meters, disabling the vessel. Fortunately for you, Navy SEALs are trained to absorb shock waves and turn them into large doses of awesome. As your team egresses via Zodiac, you weave in and out of the exploding Russian ships directly into the open hatch of a Chinook helicopter which is just hanging out in a few feet of water. No worries, we've got twin rotors---plenty of lift to handle a few tons of extra weight. Now, maybe some gamers will get a thrill out of performing such things, but I just couldn't stop laughing.

...and Operation One Man National Asset doesn't end there. The preposterous and impossible exploits just keep coming. One moment you jump from the 8th story onto the pavement and hop up to carry Soap away to safety... apparently he's just a weakling and is unable to shrug off such minor injuries. Another you fight your way through a large castle, placing three satchels from your bottomless rucksack, then end up driving over a cliff---but what's this? you just happen to have another full sized parachute on you---I wonder what pocket that one was hiding in...

At this point most gamers no longer expect to be handed a spoonful of sugar with their daily Commercialized Electronic Babysitting Session, but as an old time PC gamer I'll have to wait my turn for the next Portal or Company of Heroes. As the average gamer progressively drops in intelligence and creativity, the battlefield hand-holding seemingly increases. While playing COD one feels simultaneously god-like and completely unnecessary. There are no choices whatsoever to make, and no tactical ability required to succeed. If this is your cup of tea, go rent "Commando" and you'll have both hands free to handle the doritos and beer. If not, and you are interested in an experience with a shred of mental stimulation, look to Valve or Relic for something worth your cash.

Edit: I originally had written 6 hour campaign but looked at the menu and it said I had actually only spent 4 hours---and I'm the type who doesn't just sprint through games, I like to check out the scenery a bit too.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2011 9:49:25 AM PST
I haven't played this one yet -- I only do single player stuff and these franchises are so stingey with short single player gameplay I have to wait until the game goes on sale to make it worth the dough. But I digress -- very funny review, love your sense of humor!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 10:11:00 AM PST
J. McGarvey says:
Thanks, I don't want to start yet another fanboy flamewar, but I after playing every call of duty (yes I've gotten plenty of amusement from the series), this one "took the cake". It was side-splittingly bad. I don't want to spoil anyone's hopes, but I want to put it into perspective; anyone who thinks COD is the best today's devs have to offer would be surprised to discover the true gems of gaming.

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 2:19:06 PM PST
Frostbite says:
Great review, had a few laughs. Thanks for posting.

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 1:16:36 PM PST
Jonathan, what other games would you recommend then?
Great review btw...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2011 1:50:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2011 12:07:43 PM PST
J. McGarvey says:
I prefer WW2 stuff, and play mostly World at War and Europe in Ruins (the first is a tournament mod for Forgotten Hope 2, a mod for Battlefield 2 and the second is a persistency mod for Company of Heroes). I also like Day of Defeat: Source for deathmatch.

In the context of Call of Duty, go with Battlefield 2 or Insurgency (a Source mod). I actually enjoyed the BF3 campaign, but it wasn't /that/ much better than COD. I haven't played BF3 online yet, but what I've heard sounds bad. I hope it's wrong.

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 10:35:22 PM PST
Anton says:
Have the game for 360 but decided to read the PC reviews as well and loved yours hah.

I've written a review myself (three stars) over on the 360 version if you'd enjoy my rant.

I was very disappointed with this game (I actually returned it today), BF3 AND gears of war 3 (sure you haven't played that one tho). They are all just standard remakes and I'm tired of it. I guess that's what I get for buying approximately the 6th, 7th and 8th versions of games though. Good thing tho that I blew all that money on these new releases because it has reminded me of why I stopped playing games for a while, particularly new games. This guy is buying no more new games! I hate it because I don't mind supporting the good ones, but I'm so jaded at this point that I've given up all hope.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2011 5:50:24 AM PST
R. Chen says:
BF3 is far from a standard remake..

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2011 12:05:53 PM PST
J. McGarvey says:
I'm pretty sure he means remake of BC2 or COD series... the first two BF2s were excellent, and Dice's biggest blunder was moving away from what made them so good.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2011 12:15:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2011 12:23:45 AM PST
Anton says:
LOVED BF1942. It and Starcraft are by far my most pleasurable experiences on the PC.

BF3.... I don't know.. I have to force myself to play it... I NEVER had to "force" myself to play 1942. It was fun for years and years and years for me. This new BF, I don't know, perhaps it is because I'm playing it on 360... oh wait, I'm rather positive that is EXACTLY why it sucks for me. Controls suck (IMO), graphics are CRAP when compared to the PC version, and the maps and number of players are dramatically chopped.

My conclusion is that if I should decide to start playing the Battlefield series competitively again I'll have to switch over to PC. It's a waste of time on the 360, perhaps not for everyone else but in my own personal opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 3:02:51 PM PST
Richard says:
your right bf3 for the pc is better but the best battlefield of all time is Battlefield 2: complete collection.... from jets to boats to muscle cars you can do anything. Plus they have mods that extend the amount of bots per map which is ridicously awesome!!!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.1 out of 5 stars (411 customer reviews)

$59.99 $9.99